Be careful when buying P2.5 Panels!

Hi All,

I know I don't post much but figured I should with this as it may have a wide impact.

As we know there are a number of suppliers out there with these panels and recently a few people have been having problems with them due to the manufacturer using different components.

Up until a few days ago I'd been very lucky with the supplier I get my panels from as I'd not even had so much as a dead pixel on ANY panel they've sold me for over 12 months. That all changed with this last batch I got late last week as NONE OF THEM WORK. I tried going from 5v down to 4.5v as others have needed to do with their panels recently but still nothing.

So I go back to the supplier and they advise me they've changed to a different IC chip on the back of the panels. As per the attached pic, they now use FM6126A, whereas they were previously using ICN2028AP. Apparently the ICN2028AP has been "eliminated" and they are using the 6126 instead. To me it's more likely that they are simply cheaper!

1559409054_LEDPanel.jpg.356a67eb26082091959ccef5c38795a8.jpg

This new IC is not compatible for use with PIN2DMD!!!!

It might be a good idea if one of the admins can make a sticky in the PIN2DMD section where we can post pics of the back of our panels and/or quote the IC model numbers so we can create a list of what works and what doesn't.

My supplier is refusing a refund as he insists that there is nothing wrong with the product and he is not responsible for knowing how every customer plans on using it. He is, however, willing to make me a batch of panels with IC 2038S, which "according to his experience" should be suitable. I'd prefer to know for certain before forking out more money for more useless panels!

I'd be grateful if others could look at the back of their panels and reply with the model number of their ICs so I can go back to my supplier knowing what chips will work.

Cheers, Chris

@lucky1 I've made some progress, bust still got some way to go.

After updating the firmware from v2.55 (which up to now has been great for all my panels) to v2.65, I am now getting this:

955511843_LEDPanelwithv2_65.thumb.jpg.4ef100830f9d9f2ca20cf9886bd3a437.jpg

Could voltage be the issue? The above is running a 5v 3A plug pack.

I went all the way down to 4.6v and no dice, the display just goes blank - not a single pixel is illuminated. It stays like that all the way back up to 4.95v and then it just goes straight to the nightmare seen in my previous picture.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, OzStick said:

I don't include the reset button on my shields, so I have no idea what it would do!

The reset button is the black button on the discovery board ! The buttons on the shield are "menu and option" which I told you should be placed for better diagnose
of problems. 

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, OzStick said:

@lucky1 - are you able to say whether these panels will work:
M4

They are from a different supplier, but I need to source some more panels right away so I'm searching around for some that I KNOW will work!

So far I did not have any 64x32 panels which did not work in the end end even if you have a picture from aliexpress which shows a different chipset you still will not be sure if you get what is on the picture when you order. If you want some panels with older chipset you have to make sure that they don´t use FM6126 or ICN2038S on the panels you get.

44 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

The reset button is the black button on the discovery board ! The buttons on the shield are "menu and option" which I told you should be placed for better diagnose
of problems. 

OK, so I plugged everything back in, switched on the power, hit the reset button (the one on the back of the Discovery board) and whaddya know:

737755735_Workingpanel.jpg.8092fbab14e78d8cca70b070597aaef4.jpg

So I guess I get to be the village idiot for a while..........

For anyone following this thread, we have confirmed that these panels do indeed run fine on v2.65. As it turns out the plug packs I normally use were found to be putting out nearly 5.4v whcih these panels do not like. Using a power supply with voltage adjustment and tweaking down to 4.95v produced perfect results.

So the moral of the story for me is to take more notice of firmware updates and be better at understanding exactly what the updates achieve!!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,
I just received my two DMD 160 * 80 identical to the post.
the voltage at 4.96v allows me to see the last two letters MD (of PIN2DMD) with the end of the activation key.
But the resolution is very big here is the result ...

the STM32F40 card works well under windows 10 and USB driver ok
Knowing that I tested with the firmware 2.64 / 2.65 and 2.66
same problem.
Do you have an idea ?

I have post my problem on : https://www.pincabpassion.net/t10701-en-cours-probleme-d-affichage-rectangles-de-couleurs-sur-le-dmd-160x80#184384

IMG_3648.JPG

it's strange when I plug a single DMD to 3.3v the display is correct .... but at 3.3v the connection of the two DMD power cuts and black screen on both DMD.

Hello thank you lucky1 for your answer,
I found the problem ...
On this model of DMD it takes a voltage of 3.3v and not 5v
I did a test between 3.3 and 4.0v max everything is ok both DMD are powered correctly.
I am going today to give you my activation key via a Paypal payment;)

Archived