keep getting ball stutter and fps issues in VPX do i need to upgrade?

GeXXXy

i'm running vpx on my cab using these Cab specs: (yes i know they are dated cab was built when vp8 was out) Windows 10 64bit home, AMD Phenom II X4 Processor 965 (3.4GHz), Asus Crosshair IV Formula Motherboard., G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3/1600, PC3/12800 fast 8-8-8-24 timings CL8 RAM, EVGA 1060 6GB OC, 2 screen setup adding pin2DMD later.

i've pretty much running using the set for low end pc with a few things selected like ball reflection (see attached image for full options)

most tables play fine except for a few like cv, totan, the unicorn and a few others get pretty bad ball stutter and fps issues. even if i turn everything off in the table options and set elements detail to minimum i still get stutter. i don't know what's causing this is it my setup? if so what should i update maybe more ram?

20190330_234240.jpg

I would be very surprised if adding ram will help you. It is mostly authors and guys that edit tables where more ram is of extra help. Their files will be cached more often so load time of resources while editing will be shorter. For regular users/gamers, you will read the game file and play and be done with it.8 GB should be sufficient and your GPU has the fastest memory in your system anyway.

Because you are running with settings that your system can't handle - most probably. You should try with Outhere' settings. Then add stuff until you find where the breakpoint is. It is kind of wrong to go from high perf settings to lower. You should do it the other way around. I personally have a 4k monitor and a 1080 GPU. I too have tables that I do get micro stutter from. I haven't been able to figure out why. Sometime it seems more of a random thing than anything else. It is like VP is happy with me one time and angry at me the next. There are many components to a cab setup. Dof, SSF, Db2S, DMD, VPM, VP and FE, all have to be fine tuned and working well in harmony. No end users machine are alike so, there will be guys that just have "not so great" working machines as the next guy. It is a reason why game consoles exists.

For 1080 resolution. I would seriously consider looking at DSR instead of any of the built in AA - I was very happy with it on a 750ti.

I notice you also have screen space reflections on, try switching that off, it always causes stutter for me.

I have a 1660 card running 4k great on all tables and I have very similar settings to you apart from the following

screen space reflections - off

fps limiter - 1 as I mentioned in an earlier post

force anisotropic texture filtering - on

Max texture dimension - unlimited

change these settings and I think you should see an improvement.

What happens when you enable ball reflections together with the settings I’ve suggested?  

Because I have an old AMD phenom x4 processor in my cab same as you, and until recently had a gtx 970 gfx card running 1080 (it even ran 4k well on most tables, it was only the new Addams family table that made me upgrade and even that ran ok most of the time) with the settings I’ve suggested running fine on all tables including ball reflections. 

Are you definitely switching off screen space reflections as that does introduce micro stutter on my system.

I also run this brilliant utility on my cab and give all pinball related apps (visual pinball, backglass server, frontends etc.) pinball mode which basically gives them access to all cores on the cpu. Read the instructions and maybe give it a try.

http://www.mjrnet.org/pinscape/PinAffinity.html

Disabling windows defender also helps with stutter issues.

On 3/31/2019 at 11:25 PM, ashleyb said:

What happens when you enable ball reflections together with the settings I’ve suggested?

it's fine until something high end happens like in cv when the ringmaster rises the stutter will start. and even after he lowers again it will remain and won't go away. same thing happens with slimer.

Are you definitely switching off screen space reflections as that does introduce micro stutter on my system.

yes only thing active now is ball reflections

that helps a little bit still get stutter now and than there must be a bottleneck somewhere prob the old sata HDD

most tables play fine it's the ones with lots of toys and crap on them that test the hardware to it's limit.

For tables with stutter. Try changing your backglass, it might be related. It is not perfect software. Sometime I can get stutter on one table. The next time it is better. For me it is often over a very short time - maybe a second or so.

4 cores is the max mine can go and they are all unlocked.

i did a test last night i took my 1080 ti ftw3 out of my desktop and put it in the cab just to see what would happen. cranked everything up to max and not one problem. so i'm going to put a 1070 ti in like i was going to do in the 1st place.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived