Using new LED Panels with older Setup??

KiwiBri

Hi,

So a friend got some new LED Panels for building a Pin2DMD setup.  We thought we would try it with my working setup to test the panels. My Pin2DMD system is based on a STM32 board with a Shield v2 from UncleSash. My LED Panels work but have the color bleeding occasionally that the "first gen" panels apparently have, and they look slightly different from the newer panels we received. 

So here is what happens when I plug in the new panels to my existing system:

MVIMG-20190321-222917.jpg

I double checked all the connections and they seem fine, I checked with the old panels and they worked fine...

So, then I plugged in one of the new panels to the older panel which is connected to the Shield, and the new panel displayed ok, as so did the old panel. I tested the other new panel this way and it worked. 

Now I went again and connected the new Panel to the Shield and got the same messed up image on the LED Panels.

Here is a pic of the older LED panels and the STM32 & V2 Shield :

IMG-20190321-224845.jpg

here is the New LED Panel connected to the old panel and the new Panel works fine..

IMG-20190321-224832.jpg

Kind of confused on whats going on? Any Ideas?  It would be nice to upgrade my system to the newer panels if I can.

thanks!

21 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Do you use the latest firmware ? Also set the supply voltage to 4.7V

I am using v2.64.

In regards to the PSU, I'm using a dedicated 'generic' silver one like I think most people. (Can be seen in the last photo) I'll see if there's a way to drop voltage easily

21 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Do you use the latest firmware ? Also set the supply voltage to 4.7V

Okay, some good news first, I was able to drop voltage to 4.8v using the small pot on output of the PSU and the new displays are working.  (yay)

IMG-20190322-212331.jpg

Bad news, is that from testing, it looks like the Panels are displaying Green as Blue, and Blue as Green.. ie. They seem to be RBG rather than RGB. Now, I heard you can change this in the configuration menu.. something I never have used before.. I have 2 buttons on the STM board, I press the black one and the Pin2DMD will reset, but if I keep my finger on the other (blue) button, I don't see a menu. I tried many times and I think the blue button is not working?   Can we not set the mode from the Pin2DMD software from a Windows PC? That would be perfect for me.

• Content Provider

Thats the backdraw of using a old shield. It was meant for the panels of that time. The RGB Sequence is not adjustable through the pin2dmd.exe tool. There are three things 
you can do now.

1. Use a jumper cable to access the button functions through the pins (look at the schematics to see which pins to connect).
2. Swap pins for Blud and Green on your HUB75 cable that goes to the panels. 
3. copy the attached file to a SD card (not tested) and boot with the card inserted.

pin2dmd.dat

Lucky1, thanks for the reply. I haven't tried the .dat file yet, Worried that if I reprogram them that way, I wont be able to undo it easily without access to the config menu -  I am planning on changing my setup to use a newer version of the shield etc. My current cards can be bundled with the older panels and perhaps installed into a real Pinball machine once configured via PC software etc.
Thanks again.

Archived