Stern Star Trek LE 1.62 colorization?

• 1 year later...
  • Content Provider
2 hours ago, touffy said:

Is this file usable for a real pinball? what steps are necessary to use it? Do I need the serial cable or is the infos in frame?

The colorization for 1.61 is in the pinball browser repository and you need to create a specific patch for your pinball by entering your pinball serial number in the commpatch.

All the Stern ROM patches are based on pinball browser smartdmd method which has been developped by pinside user OGA83.
PIN2DMD only uses this method which has been described here https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/.
If there are questions it is best to ask them in the pinside thread here.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/acdc-display-and-modify-dot-matrix-images

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I realize this is an old thread. I've been trying to use the macros that are sitting in the Pinball Browser repository with the 1.61 Stern binary file. I use the big macro that is sitting in the repository and I always end up getting "out of memory" errors. Is this normal? Am I missing something here?

With newer versions of Pinball Browser I'm also getting "It is very unusual to define a palette for a non full-dmd frame..." errors. If I go back to version 6.x of PB that error does not come up.

@Terranigma and I have both been trying to figure this out. We are reading through the Pinside posts as well but it would be great if someone could chime in here with some suggestions that might help anyone else that comes looking for this.

Thanks!

Dino Z.

8 hours ago, dzorbas said:

I realize this is an old thread. I've been trying to use the macros that are sitting in the Pinball Browser repository with the 1.61 Stern binary file. I use the big macro that is sitting in the repository and I always end up getting "out of memory" errors. Is this normal? Am I missing something here?

With newer versions of Pinball Browser I'm also getting "It is very unusual to define a palette for a non full-dmd frame..." errors. If I go back to version 6.x of PB that error does not come up.

@Terranigma and I have both been trying to figure this out. We are reading through the Pinside posts as well but it would be great if someone could chime in here with some suggestions that might help anyone else that comes looking for this.

Thanks!

Dino Z.

the only reason you needed to use Pinball Broswer was because  the most basic way to color frames "color masks" implemented by  PIN2DMD did not work for SAM games.

their are multiple SAM roms that can't be done with Pinball Browser because their is not enough memory to color them.  Once you run out out memory you will not be able to make any more changes.

you are suppose to

color dynamic frames in pinball browser

color all the replacement scenes with the PIN2DMD editor

this way you do not use much of the available memory.

their are multiple partial  frames you can view in Pinball browser,   When you play the game their can be multiple partial  frames that make up 1  "Full" frame.

if you have a full frame made up of 2 partial frames.  You can't assign a pallet to a partial frame  and a second pallet to the second partial frame.

I suggest you stop using Pinball Browser  for coloring.  And use the 64  bit color PIN2DMD editor.  

Not only will you be able to use 4 times the colors available in Pinball Browser.   

But the best part is that you will not need to updated  your real machine with the modified rom or have to patch any roms for virtual machines.

• 2 years later...
  • Content Provider

There has never been a patch for 1.62 LE. Simply not enough available storage space available within the ROM to incorporate color information via hacking. Use 1.61 LE.

Link is in this post. Already patched:

If you are volunteering, you can start a Serum project. There are no practical limitations and game code would not have to be hacked.

Edited by CarnyPriest

• Content Provider
12 hours ago, TechWizard0018 said:

does anybody have instuctions on how to colorize the dmd. im new to all of this. i can help out if i had instructions

@outhere made a great installation instruction here