Anyone using Nucleo and serial on a stern pinball?

tjc02002

I am wondering if anyone out there has a Nucleo pin2dmd build that they are using in a stern pinball machine(preferably SAM) using a serial connection for switching palettes/pinball browser colorization. The reason I’m asking is because I have set up 2 stern Metallica pinball machines with pin2dmds. The first one was the older stm build and it worked perfectly. This latest one is a Nucleo and it is having strange behavior. Certain screens are switching pallets correctly and certain screens don’t. I have recreated all the files, tried different SD cards and swapped the max232 out and it acts the same. I think the problem is narrowed down to one of two things: the unclesash shield has an error or the Nucleo firmware is not communicating correctly. It’s strange because many screens work fine and I can even recolor them in pinball browser and it works. But a few screens, I’d say 30 percent of them, are colored incorrectly. If I disconnect the serial cable the screens no longer color correctly at all so it’s definitely communicating somewhat. Any help would be appreciated. 

• Content Provider

I´m running the Nucleo firmware (on a EVO board) in my ST Pro and haven´t noticed any problems so far. Is the problem reproducable like the same scene has always the wrong colors ? From the code side there is absolutely no difference between the builds for disco and nucleo except that the uart ports are mapped to
different pins. Do you have a wifi chip installed ?

It’s always the same scenes that are either colored correctly or not. The ones that aren’t colored correctly seem to inherit the palette that’s already loaded.  Something even more strange is that we just recently tried loading the met 1.8 code and colored scenes and it doesn’t seem to work at all. 1.7 works but some scenes are not. 

Thank you!! I will try this soon. So all I have to do is connect(jumper) TX to RX on the shield and run the serial test? Nothing else? 

Also here are pics of my shield. If you have any recommended tests to make sure proper connections are designed into the PCB let me know I will test it. 

F0A7D349-452C-478C-9FBD-4CD376D2E752.jpeg

700D09C4-CE0C-4DB1-9A5A-056548E29DC0.jpeg

Why does it need a serial number? Reason I’m asking is because I’ve made a bunch of changes to the colorization and I’d rather not re-run the macro as it would mess what I’ve done up I think. When I ran the macro it was for a different serial number but why the heck would that matter? 

• Content Provider

That was introduced by Oga to prevent people sharing modified ROMs. 

You should have a macro for your changes. If you run that after the original macro it should make the changes again.

If you mor questions about pinball browser the official pinside thread is a better place. 

Archived