PIN2DMD Tutorial

• Content Provider
17 hours ago, malenko said:

The video is really good, little long should be broken into chucks (at least have clickable time links in the details)

Its a nice compliment to CB3's tutorial.

Thanks for the feedback! I will add some clickable time links in the description, I was first thinking about splitting as well, but wanted to have only one comment section to be able to answer possible questions. Sadly youtube does not offer to create chapters...

Martin. Just makes me more impressed over what you and the guys that have completed builds do for us. I agree with Malenko, clickable time links and it would be perfect. So, I see that you are adding those ❤️ I believe that even I could do this job - not as good looking maybe, but still I now have a understanding of how it can be done. Just awesome that you and CB3 gave us this run though ! Very useful for anyone that comes in your footsteps.

• lucky1 pinned this topic
  • 2 years later...
  • Content Provider

After many questions and requests I found the time to do another topic based tutorial. This might help those of you who did not work with this mode yet. It will increase your possibilities to deal with the mask limitation and difficult scenes. So here it is: the Layered Color Mask Mode (LCM) explained in 9 minutes. Happy coloring!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tT3kNg49w

3 hours ago, NetzZwerg said:

After many questions and requests I found the time to do another topic based tutorial. This might help those of you who did not work with this mode yet. It will increase your possibilities to deal with the mask limitation and difficult scenes. So here it is: the Layered Color Mask Mode (LCM) explained in 9 minutes. Happy coloring!

Good instructional video.  I thought the explanation of the color priorities was really useful (specific) , but it makes me curious what the color priority rules are for 64-color mode when objects overlap that contain colors from different rows & groups.  I assume the rules would be the same for color groups in rows 2-4, but not sure how the hierarchy works between overlapping groups within the same column, or overlapping groups from different rows and columns.

• Content Provider
8 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

Good instructional video.  I thought the explanation of the color priorities was really useful (specific) , but it makes me curious what the color priority rules are for 64-color mode when objects overlap that contain colors from different rows & groups.  I assume the rules would be the same for color groups in rows 2-4, but not sure how the hierarchy works between overlapping groups within the same column, or overlapping groups from different rows and columns.

The priority of the rows is exactly the same. topmost row has the lowest. Bottom Row the highest.

The priority within the row remains the same which in the end leads to top left = lowest priority and bottom right = highest priority.

2 hours ago, lucky1 said:

The priority of the rows is exactly the same. topmost row has the lowest. Bottom Row the highest.

So if the color palette groups are:

A1 A2 A3 A4

B1 B2 B3 B4

C1 C2 C3 C4

D1 D2 D3 D4

...then if B2 and C2 overlap, then the result would be D2?

what is the result if B2 and C3 overlap?

Edited by sudsy7

12 minutes ago, lucky1 said:

Just check it out yourself in the live preview.

I just thought you might know off hand since you're the creator.  I just have one DMD and it's installed in my pinball, so not that easy to do, but I've actually played around with it and couldn't figure it out.  Maybe someone will be able to break the code for us.

I'm not sure what the benefit of having the 2 overlapping middle groups in a  each row end up resulting in the 4th color group, but it just makes it very confusing in my opinion.  Not so much when dealing with only 16 colors, but in 64 colors it's like playing 3d chess. 

• Content Provider
19 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

what is the result if B2 and C3 overlap?

It should be D4.

8 hours ago, sudsy7 said:

I'm not sure what the benefit of having the 2 overlapping middle groups in a  each row end up resulting in the 4th color group

No benefit, just a drawback caused by the binary operation we technically use to map those colors to the bits coming from the machine.

0101 xx  - color group B2 (5)

OR  1010 xx - color group C3 (10)

1111 xx - color group D4 (15)

while xx are the 2 bits coming from the machine = 4 colors in each group.