Pin2dmd fried?

dboyrecords

Hi,

I've had pin2dmd in my TSPP for several months and working great. This weekend I was messing with my led backbox lights and I seem to have shorted out my pin2dmd. I still get a green light on discovery board but no display. I put the old dmd back in and it's working fine (glad I didn't sell it!). 

How should I troubleshoot to figure out if I fried the board, the rgb panels or both?

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...

I know for sure that I by misstake connected the panels to 12V instead of 5V. I also know that sound of electric overload (crackling, frying), so I pulled the chord at once.
These became useless (but not exactly dead either, they're constantly like the picture). Buy new panels was my solution, expensive misstake...5aa6c89cc0313_PIN2DMDfault.thumb.jpg.72ad91016b711e218dc4e8ed418e9c1a.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • Content Provider
On 12.3.2018 at 7:38 PM, Ciceronic said:

I know for sure that I by misstake connected the panels to 12V instead of 5V. I also know that sound of electric overload (crackling, frying), so I pulled the chord at once.
These became useless (but not exactly dead either, they're constantly like the picture). Buy new panels was my solution, expensive misstake...5aa6c89cc0313_PIN2DMDfault.thumb.jpg.72ad91016b711e218dc4e8ed418e9c1a.jpg

Just had one panel here which had the same symptoms. Replaced the 74HC245 input transceiver and three DP5020 LED drivers and now it is working again.
Defective ICs could be easily identified by the hole burned into the IC case due to overheating. If you have good SMD soldering skills it might be possible to repair the panels.

Archived