SAMBuild3.1 beta thread

CarnyPriest

These SAM build updates have PinMAME.exe and my vpinmame folder has PinMAME32.exe.  Are these updates 64 bit only?  Is there a 32 bit version?  Everything I've been seeing for several programs tells me to avoid 64bit everywhere.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I happened to double-click on PinMAME32.exe and it looked like a GUI so maybe I don't even need PinMAME.exe.  I was just trying to solve why AC/DC LE 168 wasn't working and thought I needed a SAM update.   But now I've tested the rom file in vpinmame and it fires up just fine so I guess that's not why its telling me the installation is bad and check the rom path.

Ok I got everything sorted.   You know I kept seeing advice to update to the SAM 3.1 beta linking to this thread and it must have been 4 times before I noticed the link was hidden at the very bottom of that first post.  I kept clicking on the first link it was showing to vpforums thinking that's where I was supposed to go to get the latest.

• Content Provider

SAMBuild files are all 32bit.

The executable is provided mainly to allow people to audit their VPinMAME rom sets using native support in clrmamepro. I don't think there is much use for it beyond this purpose.

Follow the instructions in the OP. Test your individual AC/DC LE set with the Test function in Setup.exe. If it works there then you're problem is not your game code.

If it is your game code then download the current code at Sternpinball.com. Name the bin file correctly and zip it up into the correct file name as listed in the Test functions rom check.

The usual tips apply:

Are you sure your hardware is up to the task? The requirements are pretty modest, actually.  I have an i5 3570 and GTX660 running HD on the screens. Hardware was not state of the art when I bought it five years ago. I use 4K downsampling on playfield and BG and while the vast majority of tables run fine, I am hitting some performance limits on the fanciest new tables.

Disable AA, playfield reflections, any other post-processing while you are figuring out how to get these heavyweight tables running

Get games running perfectly before you attempt using freezy's DMDExt

Get games running perfectly before you attempt to use a  colored, patched code set.

If you are running VPX exclusive full screen then the ddraw registry key must be disabled.  

4573 will also have fast flips for new SAM games: 

"acd_170h"
"rsn_110h"
"csi_240"
"ij4_210"
"twenty4_150"

The whitestar supported games at the moment are:

"sopranos"
"elvis"
"gprix"
"nascar"
"ripleys"
"lotr"
"sprk_103"
"austin"
"monopoly"
"twst_405"
"shrkysht"
"harl_a30"
"hirolcas"
"simpprty"
"term3"
"playboys"
"rctycn"
"apollo13"

There is also Capcom support for:

Big Bang Bar
Kingpin
Pinball Magic

Note however that VPinmame flippers never worked correctly in Capcom games, so updating these tables will require some mildly more extensive rework.  

Here are the latest .vbs scripts to go with the whitestar/capcom support.    Once VPX comes out with an update you'll be able to just get them there. 
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fogwQnYYKgc_4DUUf0KMunPUK94-54fK/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, zzz said:

i have used this code to get ff working on family guy. There is a bug in stewie pinball multiball now: all four flippers are supposed to be active since you get balls in the normal playfield and in the mini playfield. After the changes for ff only the two mini playfield flippers are active.

Any way to fix this?

Yeah all four flips do get active at the same time when you beat the Stewie minigame.   maybe try:

'******************************************************
'* KEYS ***********************************************

Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack:End If

If Keycode = RightFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(90)=1
Controller.Switch(82)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp2")
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 101, 1
MiniRight=1
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR true
Exit Sub
End If

If Keycode = LeftFlipperKey then
Controller.Switch(84)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp1")
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 102, 1
MiniLeft=1
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL true
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyDown(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack
End Sub

Sub Table1_KeyUp(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire:If BIP=1 then Playsound "Stern_Plunge" else If BIP=0 then Playsound "Stern_Hit7":End If

Controller.Switch(90)=0
Controller.Switch(82)=0 
If MiniRight=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown2")
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 101, 0
MiniRight=0
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR false
Exit Sub
End If

Controller.Switch(84)=0 
If MiniLeft=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown1")
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 102, 0
MiniLeft=0
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL false
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyUp(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire
End Sub

On 7/14/2018 at 5:36 AM, Thalamus said:

With JP releasing Transformers Pro. Could we maybe bother you @DJRobX to put in support for tf_180 as well ??

I expect that could be a code re-use?

Done.  And no, the address is nowhere near where tf_180h's is,.

Thank you guys for putting in so much time on this feature. I have all the supported tables (that I have) playing with FastFlips, except Simpsons PP and Big Bang Bar.

I tried all of the suggestions above for various systems (including the straight forward UseSolenoids=2) , but these two tables are not playing nice with FF. 

What I tried:

Const cSingleLFlip = 0
Const cSingleRFlip = 0

Keycode suggestion that was used for Shrek/Family Guy, but I don't see Keycode section in these scripts.

InitVpmFFlipsSAM (even though they're not SAM tables) ; )

What needs to be changed for these tables in particular? Thanks in advance.

Thalamus, thanks for the wiki spreadsheet link. The only note I see for Simpsons PP is it needs VPMinit Me added to the script and I have added that. 

It seems like FastFlips is working on this table, but I'm hearing what sounds like a double flip with the left flipper button only. I also get a read of 17-50ms.

However if I press the left flipper and then only release it half way, I can then press it quickly (again, half way) and the double flip sound goes away and the top left flipper does not move. While only pressing the left flipper half way/quickly, I get a read of 0.5ms.

I don't hear or see this behavior with the right flipper.

I'm stuck here. How can I remove the double flipper sounds and higher flipper lag for this table?

The second flipper sound you're hearing is the upper flipper.    Its on its own solcallback (so the kickout warning works).  That will cause the F11 readout to be delayed, but the fast flips for the main flippers are working fine.    You can probably comment out the upper flipper sound if it bothers you.      

I've mentioned it a couple times but it's worth repeating  - the F11 measurement is not an exact science.   It measures the time between when the left flipper key was last pressed, and the time when *ANY* flipper on the table moves.  

Thanks Rob. I have been testing VP on my new system before I install it into the cab and I only have sounds on while I test in desktop mode. Once the cab is back up and running, turning off certain table sounds and turning on DOF should take care of this.

Thanks again.

• Content Provider
On 16/07/2018 at 1:50 AM, DJRobX said:

Yeah all four flips do get active at the same time when you beat the Stewie minigame.   maybe try:

Just wanted to confirm this fix appears to be work, both with Family Guy and Shrek, just tested both during mini playfield multiball and all flippers were working.

14 hours ago, Wob said:

Just wanted to confirm this fix appears to be work, both with Family Guy and Shrek, just tested both during mini playfield multiball and all flippers were working.

I got an error regarding parameters on line 67 for the PlaySound SoundFX(.....

I added ,DOFContactors to each in the section...  This works for me for the mini pinball game now.  (I was not able to get mini game plus multiball simultaneously)

code:

'* KEYS ***********************************************

Sub Table1_KeyDown(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack:End If

Controller.Switch(90)=1
Controller.Switch(82)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp2",DOFContactors)
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 101, 1
MiniRight=1
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR true
Exit Sub
End If

Controller.Switch(84)=1
If MiniPF.Balls=0 Then
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperUp1",DOFContactors)
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToEnd
DOF 102, 1
MiniLeft=1
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL true
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyDown(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.PullBack
End Sub

Sub Table1_KeyUp(ByVal keycode)

If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire:If BIP=1 then Playsound "Stern_Plunge" else If BIP=0 then Playsound "Stern_Hit7":End If

Controller.Switch(90)=0
Controller.Switch(82)=0 
If MiniRight=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown2",DOFContactors)
MiniPF_RightFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 101, 0
MiniRight=0
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipR false
Exit Sub
End If

Controller.Switch(84)=0 
If MiniLeft=1 Then 
PlaySound SoundFX("Stern_MiniFlipperDown1",DOFContactors)
MiniPF_LeftFlipper.RotateToStart
DOF 102, 0
MiniLeft=0
End If
vpmFFlipsSam.FlipL false
Exit Sub
End If

If vpmKeyUp(keycode) Then Exit Sub
If keycode = PlungerKey Then Plunger.Fire
End Sub

On 7/18/2018 at 5:45 AM, ClarkKent said:

Any progress with ROM controlled coil strength in Capcom games?

I did some poking around when I added fast flip support.   The Capcom games all seem to work differently and their addresses seem hard to map (relative to SAM/Whitestar/WPC), I'm not terribly confident in the support that I added, so more effort is required there.   Flipper strength would be fun to get working in Kingpin, but the plain old flippers don't even work right as it is. :)

• Content Provider

Fast Flips for pro acd, tf, twd, mt le, wd (wpc-s), and many more Whitestar (see whatsnew.txt)

Sound fixes for Bell Games Super Bowl

fix ddraw crashing VPM when VPX is full screen exclusive

votrax bug fix - toxie is asking for testing to make sure this doesn't break anything

loads of codes fixes that may not be apparent to end users

official rev r4594

SAMBuild_r4594.zip

• Content Provider

I'm just relaying a commit message from the source repository. Please report any issues with speech synthesis in Gottlieb Sys 80 tables. 

Well, report any issues you encounter, of course. As there were a number of little fixes across the source that might have possibly inadvertently broken something.

• Content Provider
23 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Fast Flips for pro acd, tf, twd, mt le, wd (wpc-s), and many more Whitestar (see whatsnew.txt)

Sound fixes for Bell Games Super Bowl

fix ddraw crashing VPM when VPX is full screen exclusive

votrax bug fix - toxie is asking for testing to make sure this doesn't break anything

loads of codes fixes that may not be apparent to end users

official rev r4594

SAMBuild_r4594.zip

So wait.... we no longer need to change DDRAW=0 now with exclusive fullscreen enabled?

This just quietly snuck in there after 2 years... and I don't hear rejoicing?  Great stuff!

as for the votrax testing: this is a sound chip that was used in a couple of older games, that did the speech synthesis/samples there.

for example used in the following gottliebs:

• Black Hole
  • Caveman
  • Devils Dare
  • Mars god of war
  • Volcano
  • Q Berts Quest

the improvement is minimalistic and most of the machines still sound rather bad compared to the originals, but i just wanted to make sure that this did not break anything..

Archived