Problem with Pin2DMD on DATA EAST

nairolf

• Content Provider

could you please measure from the following pins connections from the following list

The numbering for the DMD connector is on the picture. 

Signal Name - Discovery Board PIN - DMD Connector Pin

• Latch - PA0 - PIN7 
  • RowClock - PA1 - PIN5
  • RowData - PA2 - PIN3
  • OE - PA3 - PIN1
  • CLK - PA5 - PIN9
  • DATA -PA7 - PIN11

normally it should read 220 ohms

9afda16375dc06c7_320x280.png

Try with external power suply, take one from pc ore something like that for test. 5V on real pins are not filtrated nice, and caps are wery old. Try put multimeter on ac volts and mesure 5v. If you reed something else then 0.00 5v is not ok, to be sure you nead scope but this metod will work.

Forget too ask you something.

Did pin boot with dmd atached?

As i remember sound board on de will make some sound when 5v is on, and there is test with leds on maind board. 

Did leds on main board make same blink with pin2dmd atached as they make with plasma display?

Just to be surten thet ewerething is ok with pin. 

Please check the electrical connections between the red pins and in a second step between the blue pins.
You should have a direct connection on all blue pins and on the red pins either direct connection or ~220Ohms resistance.

Your wiring on your picture (with the blue cable) is NOT correct, therefore it will not work! That worked only on a small batch of my V3 shields which have been replaced or fixed some months ago. Remaining shields were destroyed and not used any more.

A suggestion i can make is that either the ls123 is defective, or a missing ground connection between shield and display driver board.
If possible please try the pin2dmd with an other machine (preferably Bally/Williams, but others will do as well) and check if it will work.

Kind regards,

Dom

pin2dmdV3_1.jpg

Hi Dom,

Thanks, I'll remove the blue cable... I've test the 3 shield I bought to you with the same problem so I think it's not the LS123 (or all are defective). Does I need to remove the bridge in LS123 also?

I'll make all test this evening.

OK, I've made all test,  remove blue cable I've added, remove  the bridge I add and...  Now it's working...

With Dom help, I've found the problem. All pins on 2 and 3 in red section was not solder (only first pin in each black coposant  - sorry I don't know the name).

I've check on the other card and each one have not be solder on this area...

So since to Dom I've found the problem but... Dom why don't you have solder correctly this part??? 

BTW, I'm so please that my pin2DMD is working  that I'm just dancing in my living room for the rest of the night. :)

Thanks all for your great help

Yes, I have done it on this card yesterday but on the same way I 've installed the blue cable that creat the default. I put a picture on the other to show you how they are..

I've make a mistake by doing 2 changes in the same time. I forget to mention it yesterday. Since to Dom last picture I understand that the problem could be only on this solder and only remove the cable and bridge.

20171113_221936.thumb.jpg.ece43da29f720204eac6ea4c127fd458.jpg

Archived