Pinball 2000 - will RFM/SWE1 happen in VP? NEW CHANGES

So - NuCore has just put an update up.

http://www.bigguyspinball.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1164

https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2017/08/22/nucore-returns/

This seems to show that they are releasing the rights for anyone to use NuCore (or Pinbox).
Having set up Pinbox in a 'virtual machine' does this mean that we could somehow emulate Pinball 2000 in Visual Pinball without anyone making a fuss???

Can anyone make this happen in VPX??? 
Please say they can as RFM would be amazing to have in my cab! :)

• Content Provider

License seems fairly open - free for non-commerical use, unlimited copies, open distribution on media or via any website. Changes to the software itself or any derivative works are forbidden.

There is a software update available, but no full distribution (excepting Pinbox) that is easy to get. It is a $35 charge to obtain a DVD directly from Nucore. But it sounds like they will at some point host the full free version of the software if someone is that community gets around to packaging it with a modern version of Linux with current libs.

On the other hand, it is specifically only for use on "Pinball 2000 Pinball Machines", So does that mean no virtual Pinball 2000 machines? No homemade machines, etc.?.Nearly 20 years after production, is there a hardline definition of what is meant by a Pinball 2000 machine?

I guess it is at least a step forward in that the compiled software is free.

README.txt

@CarnyPriest - let's face it - everything on this website has the same issue.  None of the graphics we use have licenses/copyright/royalities paid - let alone the roms etc.  Check the 'read me' files and we are basically breaking the rules with everything except for games like 'Champions League' (oh, hang on - that uses sounds from WCS94) - or Diablo?    So 99% of stuff on here is 'not legal'.

I think they have basically gone 'sod it' and let it out for free.

I do have a working pinbox installation.  It is not that big.  Would be great to get the REAL RFM into our cabs.

If I can be of any assistance then let me know. 

The only copyright issue could be SWE1 - but I think I speak for most the people on here that RFM is superior.

• Content Provider

I'm not so much arguing about legality as about the practical matter of whether or not Planetary Pinball and/or the nucore folks are going to threaten authors/developers for working on a virtual simulation. The history is there even to the point of their efforts stopping FuturePinball versions which would not use the game code but would still involve DMD frame dumps and other copyrighted images. 

Why the heat on Pinball 2000 specifically and not WPC? I have no idea.

With this announcement, I'd like to think that it is water under the bridge now. And that it would be safe to make progress off of the free version of nucore or pinbox or whatever as long as the software does not require any sort of modification. But who knows?

• 1 year later...

Ok better late than never..  Since i did a little proof-of-concept a while back running Pin2k os on my pc with pinbox: 

Since Nucore code in the open now... Can i safely do another(more complex) test now without being arrested or getting C&D letters from fancy lawyers? 

2 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Maybe. Seems safer now than before. You would not have to distribute any of that software. By the way, if you hunt through the Nucore forums there is a newer package with a more recent version of Ubuntu.

The image in the Nucore forums requires the usb dongle. But upgrading the existing pinbox image will not be a problem i think.  I'll ask the guys at Big Pinball what they will do... If they are going to try to stop me i won't even try. 

Thing is that making it work would make rapid prototyping possible when developing a new Pin2k games. 

• Content Provider

Yes, uses AFM rom and table script but author indicates that the playfield layout and graphics are from RFM. I don't know how much was changed to make it work. Or what kind of fidelity you need for a test.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11604

I'm not aware of any effort to collect resources since destruk's effort got the C&D. Doesn't mean something isn't out there. I just checked and I only have game code.

39 minutes ago, CarnyPriest said:

Yes, uses AFM rom and table script but author indicates that the playfield layout and graphics are from RFM. I don't know how much was changed to make it work. Or what kind of fidelity you need for a test.

https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=11604

I'm not aware of any effort to collect resources since destruk's effort got the C&D. Doesn't mean something isn't out there. I just checked and I only have game code.

OK Thanks for testing its fine! 

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not building the table. Just working on the driver in mame to get everything working. DCS is a pain without proper documentation I have to guess and look at other implementations. However the rest looks pretty cool. Mame is not that fast so you need a fast cpu to have smooth graphics. 
a bit of a side step is that I am working with Jim on getting more flash rom available. Upgraded my real prism to 8mb instead of 4mb. 
this is a slow process and when the basis is ok I will release the mame driver so more people can work on it and improve it :)

i am able to emulate switches by pressing keys. So you can go into settings. Start the game. Use flipper / action buttons.

Edited by erikie
More info