SAMBuild3.0 beta thread

CarnyPriest

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider
13 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Your laying it a bit thick there Carney. Pindmd3 is a nice product. Freezy is still developing dmd-ext so ...

Check and see the last time russdx even visited VPF. You got what you got thanks to third party support. That's what I'm saying. 

I'm sure it functions fine, but it truly seems expensive for what you are getting. Might be worth it for some who don't want to take the risk of sourcing from Alibaba. It's about the only benefit I can think of. It is what it is, though. 

In the immortal words of Xenomorph: Carry on!

4 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Your laying it a bit thick there Carney. Pindmd3 is a nice product. Freezy is still developing dmd-ext so ...

Seemed pretty on point to me. freezy saved pinDMD3 from being a complete waste of its capabilities. I still can't get my orange to look as good on the pin2dmd as it did on pinDMD3 but I haven't really tried to be honest... what little time I get in front of my Vpin these days is spent playing, not messing around with settings! So many good tables coming out. I do need to turn it back on though and get the latest version of vpinmame on there and give Metallica another run to see if I can get that coffin lock acting right.

8 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Yep, Freezy's the magic sauce in this case.   And his DMDExt.dll is completely open source, so if he abandons the project it could still be done. 

Freezy popped up recently asking about crashing, I'm hoping this means he's going to do more work soon.  I'd love to see support for non-SAM colorization go in.  

On 8/20/2017 at 6:21 PM, roar said:

Seemed pretty on point to me. freezy saved pinDMD3 from being a complete waste of its capabilities. I still can't get my orange to look as good on the pin2dmd as it did on pinDMD3 but I haven't really tried to be honest... what little time I get in front of my Vpin these days is spent playing, not messing around with settings! So many good tables coming out. I do need to turn it back on though and get the latest version of vpinmame on there and give Metallica another run to see if I can get that coffin lock acting right.

I haven't found if anyone actually has the settings for the Orange in Pin2DMD to be near the "proper" colour. Its should be possible, but seems to elude everyone.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 20.8.2017 at 7:02 PM, CarnyPriest said:

I do feel bad for the PinDMD3 people. Seems like the support turned out to be vaporware. @roar is one who went ahead and made the switch and converted from PinDMD3 to Pin2DMD. You have the panels. You just need the Discovery board and a shield. What is that? $40 or $45? Then you can run everything.

Ok, I know this is not meant to be rude but I´m using this for my question.

I´m struggling using this SAM Beta build with my PinDMD3. If I use it with the DMDdevice.dll from the 2.9 Build I get the flickering DMD. If I use it with the latest version from luck1´s GitHub I get no screen at all.

Sorry when I sound like a noob but I didn't use my cab for a few months and I´m still catching up. But as far I can see some new tables need the VPM 3.0 to work correctly (like WOF).

Did I something wrong or can I stop trying for now?

To the group......

I too have determined that the flickering external DMD issue on my PinDMD2/Vishay display seems to be caused by the need for the VPM 3.0 beta, and no up to date/matching dmddevice.dll file (that I can find) that supports 3.0.  

I knew once I started down this path (upgraded for one table - Wheel Of Fortune) that it would probably turn ugly.  And it has.  But I can reset back to older versions of VPM (and lose the ability to play WOF) or hopefully find a fix.  I've already reset it back to 2.9 and everything was back to normal.

Am I missing something obvious here (which often is the case)?  I'd really like to play WOF if I can, but not at the expense of the DMD flickering.

Thanks for any replies in advance.  Also, should I cross post this in the WOF thread?

21 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

So, you have tried my routine ? It would be nice to know because that means that it not working for Pindmd2 but on Pindmd3.

Something to report to Freezy.

Thanks for the reply...... no, I didnt try it since I assumed it didnt apply to me using a v2.  I'll give it a go and let you know the results.  Should be about an hour or so before I can get back to the cab.  Thanks again!

1 hour ago, ramsrule said:

Thanks for the reply...... no, I didnt try it since I assumed it didnt apply to me using a v2.  I'll give it a go and let you know the results.  Should be about an hour or so before I can get back to the cab.  Thanks again!

Holy smokes!  Yes, it did indeed work!  Only tested a couple of games, but for now, no flickering and I have DMD in PinballX, WOF and other random games.  So I have confirmed the workaround does apply for a non-color V2 setup.  Once I get a chance to do more indepth testing, I'll post a follow-up.

Also, my files were in different locations, but I was able to piece it all together.  Not so sure how future releases and updates will be handled, but we can just deal with them as they're thrown at us.  The bottom line - things seem to be back to normal.  Cant ask for much else.  ;-)

I really do appreciate the help!

A quick testing update - as you mentioned in your notes, Gottlieb tables still flicker (Tee'd Off is one) - assuming it's a GTS3 table.  Is there a fix for those yet?

Going to test a couple of others and report back any other issues.

Please let Freezy know that I appreciate both yours and his efforts!

• Administrators
10 hours ago, Thalamus said:

Unfortunately in bed 02:30. So time to sleep. But, I'm fairly sure that I set it up that and Granny on the Gators. No issues. Can verify tomorrow if no-one else responds.

I'm also using a Pin2DMD, if that makes any difference.

Archived