SAM table problems 2.9 and VPX 10.2

Koplings

Could use some expert help here so I don't mess up what I already have working.  Trying to get the various Stern SAM tables (about 10 of them) working with VP10 and pinmame 2.9 but no luck.  basically for all of them they open up and i get either i) the rom not found error or ii) they just kinda crash;  they open up but the playfield doesn't illuminate and i have to ctrl alt delete and log off to get out.  I'm Using windows 7 and pindmd3 for my dmd.  I'm using VPX 10.2 and have the following problem:

Here's what i know works and doesn't

1) registering and  running pinmame 2.7 - i believe I  have all the sam tables working fine with pinmame 2.7. (i.e. for the PM5 tables i went through the rom renaming months ago and got everything to work).  Most of the VP10 versions kinda work although for some i get a "modulated flashers not supported" error that i have to click ok and then they will still work.

2) registering and running pinmame 2.9 - i went through this to try and get the newest VP10 acdc tables to work,  I got some help from a another member getting my pindmd3 to work with these tables.  Now for some reason all of the other sam tables don't work as described above but VP10.2/2.9 acdc does which seems strange to me.  if go back to 2.7 everything else works but the acdc obviously does not using VP10.2/2.7..  So something to do with my pinmame 2.9 setup is crashing all my other sam tables them whereas  when i use 2.7 they all still work

Any idea what i may be doing wrong?  I recall copying my 2.7 folder and then using it to put the new 2.9 into so i would have thought i still had all the right file structures.  i made sure i also installed the newest B2S and doflinx.ini as i read you have to do.

Basically i think i'm missing something obvious but am pretty confused as to where to go from here...

Err .. I feel you've made some changes that you're not telling us ?? http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=37698#entry378757

You had it working - so, what did you do ? It sounds very weird that you can play ACDC and not the other SAM tables. For what you just wrote, it sounds like you have 2 copies of VP installed ? If you have 2.7 in one folder and 2.9 in another and run setup.exe from the wrong one. You're asking for trouble. Setup.exe is updating registry which tells where the rom files are etc. You should really only play with one folder for Visual Pinball and make copies to a external harddrive if you are not 100% sure on what each component is doing.

yes it is weird but you have given me something to think about......

Ya - my cabinet is a hodgepodge;  its a miracle it works but somehow it does....somehow 2.9 is exposing all my mistakes of the past....o:)

I only have one copy of the VPX executable installed but i do have two separate folders for VPinMAME 2.7 and 2.9 as i try to figure this out..  I don't think that's the problem though because i originally just kept renaming each One "Vpinmame" and then ran the setup.exe the setup within and had the same problem.  I have all the roms copied and reside in both foldders so i would have thought when i run setup from whichever folder i have renamed vpinmame it should set he registry values correctly but i don't know...

Yes it is very frustrating... i would have thought if i can rundthe new acdc VP10 i should be able to run everything...let me troubleshoot tomorrow and ill repost..  I think it may have something to do with pinball x but I need to test out my idea....I think you may have put me on to something....

thanks again!

• 5 months later...
  • Content Provider

When you update your PinMAME, you should copy the stand-alone version to same place your other version was.

(You will know if you have copied the new version of PinMAME to the right place, because it will ask you to overwrite files, which you should do, and then run setup.exe to restart the PinMAME installation.)

You may also need to click "Set Up Paths" in the PinMAME menu, to make sure your paths to roms and other things are set to proper paths.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having issues getting any of the Stern SAM tables to run, I am trying to get them to run on my desktop in VPX v2 I have the sam.vbs file in both the tables folder and the scripts folder, but I get the "Game Name Not Found", even though I have the correct filepath to the roms through PinMAME32. Any ideas?

What table ?

PLAYERS NOTE (for 2.8 or greater):

To align with official VPinMAME set naming from driver.c, the following were renamed:

Iron Man & Iron Man Vault Edition im2 -> im
X-Men xmen -> xmn
The Avengers avg -> avs

There are more than a few tables that require updated VP and Pinmame w/SAM for what you say you are running.

Archived