Monitor vs TV as playfield

michaelo123

Actually, a 47" might be a bit to big for a regular sized cabinet. 46" seems to be the largest you can get to fit. And even 46" has been troublesome for many people. Rooting off part of the inside for the build and for some this hasn't been enough. You might need to take away the shell of the TV, so it doesn't have any plastic left. That again CAN lead to other problems. Some TV' simply loose some of their strengt and you're then in all kinds of trouble. You might think that you could make the cabinet larger than standard widebody, but, that again leads to not being able to get standard parts like lock-down bar. It has to be custom made and of course that is more expensive than buying standar sized.

Personally I bought a 42" 4k monitor. It has less lag than a TV and that is something you really should look into. TV' aren't made for gaming, My monitor isn't either, but, it performs good enough. I've seen it measured at around 20ms. I'm quite happy with my decision. But, you need to investigate. The price of your 42" makes me a bit sceptic. Mine was approx 4.5x your price.

• 2 months later...

Monitors will always be better than a tv given the choice when comparing like for like. Their resolution, colour/clarity and input lag will out do the TV with regards to gaming any day of the week.

However. They aint cheap. 42" monitors will be considerably more expensive than a 42" tv. Thats really what it comes down too when comparing. If you can afford it in your budget go with a monitor, if you can't go with a tv.

Many of us (myself included) play with a TV, if the input lag or the like was "so bad" none of us would do it. Its fine, but of course, could be better. I've yet to spot a monitor price wise that I think is worth it for that little bit extra lag reduction. I'd sooner spend money upgrading CPU/GFX to be honest.

Archived