Just Bought a VPCab Vertigo

Hey guys, new to the site and looking foreward to getting into this new way of playing Pinball!

I actually have a Real Ghostbusters Pro and had a TZ so this will be the first time owning a Virtual Setup.

I'm pretty good with computers and basic coding. By no means an expert!

I'm wondering how difficult it's going to be to get the Vertigo up and running with pinball Machines like the classics, not what comes loaded?

I ordered the upgrade and after thinking about it, wonder if I should have purchased the computer or Graphics Card on my own, or should the one that comes with the Vertigo be sufficient?

To be honest I really bought it for the Arcade aspect of it but after playing one and reading about the VP Experience I really want to get into VP!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the vertigo at California Extreme.  It's a really beautiful machine.

I did play Ms Pac Man on it and it was great.  People were using it to play classic arcade games more than anything else.

I suggest you get a copy of PinballX and start reading about how to install MAME in addition to Visual Pinball.  You can find tables at sites like this one.     It's much easier than it used to be, with the all in one VP installer and PinballX. 

Vertigo's screen setup is most ideal for what we call Hybrid View tables.  Unfortunately most of what you find here are set up for "full screen" cabinets or desktop versions, so you'll need to do more tweaking than you would on a traditional cabinet. 

I saw the vertigo at California Extreme.  It's a really beautiful machine.

I did play Ms Pac Man on it and it was great.  People were using it to play classic arcade games more than anything else.

I suggest you get a copy of PinballX and start reading about how to install MAME in addition to Visual Pinball.  You can find tables at sites like this one.     It's much easier than it used to be, with the all in one VP installer and PinballX. 

Vertigo's screen setup is most ideal for what we call Hybrid View tables.  Unfortunately most of what you find here are set up for "full screen" cabinets or desktop versions, so you'll need to do more tweaking than you would on a traditional cabinet. 

Thanks a lot Djrobx! My cab will be shipping right after Thanksgiving. I've installed the Mame games on the IPad when they accidentally let it be done without jail breaking it so I have some knowledge of how to place files. I have a limited background in programming; I can switch values and things of that nature which I am assuming I will need to do to make the table look right on the Vertigo.

Glad to hear Ms PAC Man played good for you! I actually saw the game at the Chicago expo but only got to play one FX Pin on it.

So PinballX is the executable software where you would put the Play-field Files etc in folders to run on the cab? What is Visual Pinball, another program similar to PinballX?

Thanks again!!! No need to go into detail as I will look things up and learn everything by research. Just curious. I'm assuming I need one type of software to run Virtual Pins and one to run Arcade Mame Games?

Have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving!!!

PinballX is the "front end".   It's an interface that lets you pick what game you want to play.  It will, for instance, launch Mame and start Ms Pac Man if you choose that game.     It can be set up to run many different types of games all from the same interface.    PinballX is a "sister" to another game interface called GameEx which is more MAME/emulator oriented.  They both work very similarly.  

Visual Pinball is a pinball simulator that works in conjunction with VPinMame (the pinball specific version of MAME) to run the "real" pinball software with community created tables.    So if you want to play a classic like The Addams Family, you can get the Addams Family ROM from the real game, and then get a community created "VPT" file that simulates the ball rolling around the table. 

Another option is to buy Pinball Arcade.  PinballX supports launching these games too.   Pinball Arcade doesn't technically support cabinet play, but it might be a good, less complicated option for you. 

PinballX is the "front end".   It's an interface that lets you pick what game you want to play.  It will, for instance, launch Mame and start Ms Pac Man if you choose that game.     It can be set up to run many different types of games all from the same interface.    PinballX is a "sister" to another game interface called GameEx which is more MAME/emulator oriented.  They both work very similarly.  

Visual Pinball is a pinball simulator that works in conjunction with VPinMame (the pinball specific version of MAME) to run the "real" pinball software with community created tables.    So if you want to play a classic like The Addams Family, you can get the Addams Family ROM from the real game, and then get a community created "VPT" file that simulates the ball rolling around the table. 

Another option is to buy Pinball Arcade.  PinballX supports launching these games too.   Pinball Arcade doesn't technically support cabinet play, but it might be a good, less complicated option for you. 

Oh Man DJ, that is more information than I found out so far and I really appreciate the help!!!!! Thank you very much buddy!!!!

Have a great night!!!!

Archived