Shaker Intensity Question.

What seems to be a good setting? I have a homemade shaker, and it shakes as hell on full power, so i have gradually stepped down the dof config setting

and i am now at max intensity 30. Still too much shaking. It doesn't seem to change much between 48 and 30. When using the ledwiz tool pwm at 30% just barely runs the motor.

Droptarget settings for solenoids i have at 30 and they work great, but not the shaker intens..

How is the intensity on shaker and target/droptarget done? Is it adjusting PWM frequency ?

And what is "duration"? milliseconds? or clock-cycles? why just 0, 60, 120 etc?

I too made my own shaker and it was over-powered for normal operation.  I did two things; 1) changed the offset weight to be less, ie less shaking, and 2) added a maximum run time timer, I found a few tables where it just went on too long for my liking.  Changing the intensity via DOF will only work so far, all this is doing is providing less power to the motor, eventually the motor will fail to start / run.  You can control two elements for your shaker, physical and electrical.  If you've tried the electrical move on to physical.

ok i will experiment a little more before removing weights.

Another problem i have is my gearmotor is TOO SILENT. I use a 36v wipermotor (driven from 32v via a step.up converter) , it was not used for a wiper, but looks exactly like a wipermotor from an old vw. I think i got it from

a positioning system for a satellit antenna.

I tried a wipermotor from a vw but it draw to much power.

Well it's not that important anyway.

For the gear motor I started with just a wiper motor and it too was a bit quiet.  I now have the wiper motor and a small (and cheap) 12Vdc eBay robot motor in parallel.  I now get a couple of complementary gear sounds that blend nicely into one.

• 3 months later...

I have an on/off shaker controlled by a sainsmart.    Even a real Stern shaker does not use a PWM, the table ROM just pulses it on and off to modulate the strength.     

I find a 100ms pulse is a nice small jolt (great for "hits"), while a 600ms pulse is in danger of setting off the tilt warnings.    A 200-300ms pulse is good for a normal "shake".

Archived