Hey Look At My P5S!

Darien

Not sure If I've seen anyone else do this but I ordered some 1/16 scan 5mm LEDs instead of 2.5mm.  like the "Giant Dots" displays that are available.

As you can see there's some problems with the panels and I was going to refrain from sharing until I got new panels and a new speaker panel done but since I'm having replacement problems I figured I'd share.

post-354-0-84069000-1458080710_thumb.jpg

Coke can for scale

post-354-0-50062400-1458080130_thumb.jpg

They're HUGE

As you can see I have a dead pixel, a constantly on red column, and two lines that are being duplicated from elsewhere I'm trying to get them exchanged so I'm not stuck like this but I don't think the seller understands I don't want to pay twice as much return shipping as I paid for the panels.

I will say one thing for having them that large. I finally like "Video Mode" in games... I always thought it was kind of dumb, distracting, and dull. I set off video mode on IJ earlier and actually felt like I was playing something cool.

Those are ginormous, they'd be great as a topper!

That was my original idea. The board I got from Sacha has two hub75s. I was going with Standard 2.5mm where they belong and 5mm on top but that's where my flasher bar currently is. So I thought i'd see how blinding it was as a regular DMD.

May be the cablelength.
Try to make the cable to the display as short as possible.

I think the panel is just busted. As soon as I apply any power to it that redline comes on.  I tried pretty much anything I could think of bigger power supply, Multiple cables... Swapping the panel order.  That's on a long cable but I tried a short one (like the panel to panel kind) and I had the same result.   I'm not really a solder-level tech but it seems to me like some kind of logic fault is happening "after" that line.

this is blank.ppm:
post-354-0-04910500-1458118221_thumb.jpg

This was the result when I swapped them

post-354-0-55901100-1458118280_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any ideas I'd be dying to try because I'm having a hell of a time getting a replacement/refund on them.

I will say one thing for having them that large. I finally like "Video Mode" in games... I always thought it was kind of dumb, distracting, and dull. I set off video mode on IJ earlier and actually felt like I was playing something cool.

That was my original idea. The board I got from Sacha has two hub75s. I was going with Standard 2.5mm where they belong and 5mm on top but that's where my flasher bar currently is. So I thought i'd see how blinding it was as a regular DMD.

I think the panel is just busted. As soon as I apply any power to it that redline comes on.  I tried pretty much anything I could think of bigger power supply, Multiple cables... Swapping the panel order.  That's on a long cable but I tried a short one (like the panel to panel kind) and I had the same result.   I'm not really a solder-level tech but it seems to me like some kind of logic fault is happening "after" that line.

this is blank.ppm:

attachicon.gifpic1.jpg

This was the result when I swapped them

attachicon.gifPic4.jpg

If anyone has any ideas I'd be dying to try because I'm having a hell of a time getting a replacement/refund on them.

There is a short somewhere on the RED drive in that column. The very bright LED in that lit colomn either has a short turning the red on hard or there is a drive short in the feed circuit for red..  Either way there is a short on the board.. Id say that this would be causing the lit extra lines also..

Not sure If I've seen anyone else do this but I ordered some 1/16 scan 5mm LEDs instead of 2.5mm.  like the "Giant Dots" displays that are available.

As you can see there's some problems with the panels and I was going to refrain from sharing until I got new panels and a new speaker panel done but since I'm having replacement problems I figured I'd share.

attachicon.gif20160312_003728.jpg

Coke can for scale

attachicon.gif10311287_1677528305860108_1308789395_n.jpg

They're HUGE

As you can see I have a dead pixel, a constantly on red column, and two lines that are being duplicated from elsewhere I'm trying to get them exchanged so I'm not stuck like this but I don't think the seller understands I don't want to pay twice as much return shipping as I paid for the panels.

Ooh - Need a link for those please Darien ;):)

Archived