Dof Question Gear Motor

court461

So I have had DOF working for 6 or 7 months on my cab and it is awesome.  I appreciate all the hard work that went into programming, and also into all the table configs.  I recently (this weekend) added a gear motor.  Prior to this I had a shaker, knocker, solenoids and contactors for flippers, rgb's and strobes.  The gear was the last piece.

So on a few tables, I notice the gear motor runs upon starting the game, and runs until you shoot the ball.  I don't necessarily like this because I don't want to start a game, get sidetracked and perhaps burn the motor up (my table is currently in my garage, so it is not unusual for me to be playing, go inside and forget to come out and turn off until the next day).  I was going to change my config for these tables to change the activity.  So for TAF for example, I look at the config, and I see that DOF for gear is tied to S25 and S27.  When I look at the manual, I see this is thing motor and bookcase motor.  So that makes sense to me.  But I am not sure why either of these would be running at the start of the game.  I noticed the same activity on a few other tables, but have not researched them yet.

In general, would the gear running upon start make sense?  I want the gear to activate with thing and bookcase, so how then would I "turn off" just for the time between the ball drop and the plunger fire?

B38E9B9A-7CA3-4FDD-84FD-C5526CFA6E77.jpg

A8709D29-25F6-4F45-ACC4-A162FCBF9E9F.jpg

57E8E7E4-4F2F-4FAD-966F-5E62D068C4ED.jpg

99CAD055-337B-4058-9225-8B3E9D8FE474.jpg

• Content Provider

nice cab ;)

i don't get your issue, at the launch of taf, the gear is activated because the bookcase is moving to open and then to close, but once it goeds back to close, gear stops as well as the bookcase movement, i don't have the issue on my cab, gear is perhaps activated 3 or 4 seconds at the launch of the table and that's all

try to delete the nvram of the rom?

I will try to delete the nvram.  I did not think of that.  Yes, my gear motor keeps gong well after the bookcase closes.  It continues until I launch the ball.  And not just on the first ball, it does this on all three.  I will play with this some tonight and see if I get any different results.

Thanks for the response.

So deleted the nvram, no change in behavior.  It is funny, because when I use ledblinky test, the gear works perfectly on it's assigned input (ledwiz 31).  I have ledwiz 31 assigned to gear in dofconfig tool, I generate new config files every time my computer starts (with the awesome batch utility) so there should be no issues there.  I tried downloading randr's dof test table, and the gear runs the entire time the table is loaded.  I would not think that is what is supposed to happen.  

Tried clearing the port assignments.  Then only assigned gear.  Same thing.  Put them all back same thing.  It does not seem to be an isolated incident with a single table though.  I did some more testing and I get the same behavior with VPX (TAF and Attack from Mars) and VP9 (Twilight Zone and TOTAN).  It does not appear to be my gear malfuntioning, it starts upon ball release to the trough, then stops once ball is launched.  So it seems to be getting a signal.

I did edit all my tables to use the mechanical plunger.  To do this, I moved all the old style plunger artifacts off the table.  I wonder if this has something to do with it?  I did not have a gear before I edited the tables, so not sure if it did this before.  Maybe I will re download some of the tables unmodified and see if that changes anything.

The fact that it works with ledblinky makes me think it is wired correctly. But I think you are right, it seems to be configured for launch button. It is almost like it is stuck on an old config. Launch button works, but that is the behavior, it even pulses now that I think about it. Maybe I will reinstall dof and see if there is any change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the help.  So I feel pretty dumb not finding it sooner.  Once you made me realize it was the launch button behavior, it made me realize it had to be an old config.  I have been updating the directoutput config file in my plugins folder in my tables folder.  Somehow, I had an old one in my tables folder not in the plugins folder.  I guess it searches for that location first, once I deleted the old one, it started using the new one and gear works perfectly just like it should.  It was complete coincidence that I just added the gear, adding it had nothing to do with it.  I am pumped to have everything finally working correctly.  Thank you both for your help.

Archived