My Leds Started To Melt? Help

kizam33

So my build is done but my coin door was missing some parts and all my front buttons didn't light up except the Launch button. Electrical is not my strong point BTW

I bought 8 LEDs from pinballlife to replace the some bulbs: Williams Start, Extra ball, and Pinball sucks. I also had two burnt out bulbs in my 1997 Williams coin door (It came like that). My launch button came from groovygamegear (chrome around the rim)

All the old bulbs said (C-555) so I replaced them with these: (8) Ablaze 3-LED #555 Wedge Base Lamp.

When I powered all the buttons a while back (except the coin door eject buttons)  all the buttons would get hot except the launch button because of the LED inside. I have seen this in another post and the guy replaced his bulbs with LEDs and all was good. First of all don't buy these LEDs for those buttons because the LEDs wouldn't even fit all the way. There is a plastic rim sticking out stopping you from locking the switch to the button. I razor bladed it off and all was fine. lol

Here is the order of my moves:

I installed the LEDs in two buttons and powered it on and they worked. Powered off.

I installed all the missing parts to my coin door.

The wires for the coin buttons were not hooked up so I located the two wires (Solid purple and white with a purple line). I used the solid purple for my black wire and the white for my red wire. I don't think it matters. Power on and they worked. 

Then 5 mins or so my Extra ball light went out but when i touched the back of it, the light would go on and off. Then the other buttons started to do the same. When I pulled out one of the LEDs I noticed the plastic deforming. All crap! I pulled all the LEDs out and they all looked a little melted. So here we are.

The button lights are powered by the power supply via yellow and black wire and daisy chained together with red wire and black wire. I made sure all the red wires were on the same side of each button, same with the black wire.

The LEDs say 6.3V AC on them.

I have two possible solutions (I think). Either I bought the wrong LED bulbs (wrong Volts) or I wired the coin door eject buttons wrong. I have three more LEDs left to test. Any help would be great. I am not touching anything until I hear from you guys. thx

The pic shows two new LEDs.  This is what I had to do to it in order for it to fit.

post-5969-0-82507100-1454085501_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

What voltage is the power supply you are using? 

If it is a PC power supply, yellow is +12Volts, red is +5Volts. Since you are using the yellow lead, you are supply 12V to a 6V led.  Try the red lead

• 5 weeks later...

What voltage is the power supply you are using? 

If it is a PC power supply, yellow is +12Volts, red is +5Volts. Since you are using the yellow lead, you are supply 12V to a 6V led.  Try the red lead

That worked. All lights are on with no issues. Thx gtxjoe

Archived