Out Of The Loop For Awhile...pincab Upgrade Questions..

Redbeard30

I have been out of the hobby for a bit, and just recently got back in, noticed vp 10 is out and looking awesome!i have a cab, which is a 2 screen mini size running an overclocked amd x2 555 @ 3.4ghz, gtx 560, 4 gb ram. Havent installed any vpx tables yet, looking at doing a fresh reinstall of everything first. Is pinballx better than hyperpin? I know its updated more, but is there any reason to switch? Is it easier? Another question, is my current system in need of an upgrade for vpx? I am working on a full size cab and may upgrade when thats complete, but i can always reuse my system if i upgrade now. I was thinking if i need too upgrade, my thoughts were an i3 4160 with 8gb ram and a gtx960. Are amd cards still shunned for VP or have the issues been resolved? Sorta on a budget so i5 and the like are a no go. Was even considering pentium g3258 and overclocking it. But wasnt sure if the i3 w/ 2cores 4threads would be better.

I am also looking for an hardware upgrade. I am going for a gtx960. There is a thread here from last week or so where people talked about wich graphics card to choose. I would not use AMD, dont know if it gives problems, but just to be sure. About the cpu I dont know, I probably go for an I5, the word is that vp needs more cpu since the physics upgrade.

Never tried hyperpin, pinballx did the job for me without a problem, a lot of people say its eassier then hyperpin.

Good luck!

I have an i3 4160 with 4GB 1600Ghz Ram and AMD R7 260X with 2GB GDDR5 running Hyperpin under Windows XP.  I have 406 tables (mix of VP9, PM5, VPX and FP using BAM) and I would say 404 tables run perfectly and only 1 or 2 show any signs of stutter in my 2 screen setup.  Why throw away what you already have to start afresh?  I had 260 tables initially and have gradually built up my collection over the past 18 months.  FPLaunch wip 10 allows Hyperpin to launch every flavour of FP.  I have had teething problems like everyone has, and there are a couple of VPX tables that the B2S backglass will not function with but other than that..... Nothing to complain about especially when all of this stuff is FREE !!!

i had a lot of performance issues running VPX with a GTX660 3GB.

so now, i'm running a 3 screen cab with Win7 + HyperPin with an i5 @ 3.8Ghz and 16GB RAM and a Radeon R9 390 with 8GB.
it's a bit overkill they tell me, but i have only recently been upgrading this last month, for about 3 years i had done nothing.
so i just wanted to do it right.

performance is now pristine, i have no trouble with Star Trek vpx (one of the heaviest tables i think)

I would think the i3 @3.8ghz should be good.I'd like to go i5 but funds won't support it. I will get vpx installed on my current cab and see how it runs. Any new "advances in nudge sensing? I know there were a few boards but they never worked right, and some used mercury switches. I currently am using tilt bobs but would like an analog type nudge. I've heard of a freescale/freestyle? Avr board with some pincade software, is this a good affordable analog method?

Archived