How To Convert Stern Roms From .bin To .zip Files

Johngreve

Hi all.

I just downloaded the recently released Stern Star Trek 2013 table. I realize that it's still a WIP but thought I'd give 'er a go anyway. These new Stern tables look and SOUND so great. They are always a treat to the senses.

Ok, so I went to Sterns site and downloaded the required ROM....which I believe is ST_161, rather than being a zip file it's a bin file. How does one go about turning that bin into a zip?

Thanks much!

Hi...and thanks for the reply!

That was certainly easy and did zip up the file, however now within the zipped file there is a padlock icon......kinda leads me to believe that it needs to be unlocked or something. Any ideas about this?

I did rename the rom in the script to match and tried to run the game in VP however it come up with "Line 52 Game not Found" Line 52 is this    .GameName = cGameName

I have all the other SAM tables up and running thanks to Fren, so i have to believe it is not a SAM issue.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the padlock icon on the ROM zipped file now?

I'm also trying to get Mustang to run with the same result "Line 53 Game not Found"

the ROM has been renamed to match as well here.That ROM was zipped when I downloaded it from Sterns site, no padlock icon to contend with.

On a side note, I downloaded Metallica, renamed the ROM and the game runs just fine. That ROM was downloaded from this site......maybe thats the difference??

By the way, THAT is a stunning game! The audio and visual package is such a delight to the senses. I just can't imagine the amount of talent and time that it takes to bring these recreations to life for us. Thanks so much!!! I'm in awe and not worthy!!

UPDATE: ok...I was playing around with the zip file trying to get rid of the padlock icon.......I copied the file to my desktop and noticed the padlock icon was gone, so I deleted the zipped file in my ROM folder they recopied the file from my desptop to my ROM folder. NO PADLOCK! Beats me.

At any rate I tried to run the game with the same result as above.

I think I'm pretty close.....probably just missing something really stupid and obvious here.....the same for the Mustang table.

Is it important to name the Star Trek ROM st_161.zip?

The name Stern gave that file once it was downloaded and in my ROMs folder was STPRO_161.zip. So I renamed the name the game was looking for in the script to STPRO_161.zip. I am under the impression that as long as they are named the same it should work. Is that right?

They are named the same and I continue to get the "line 53 Game Not Found" error.

I wonder.......I think I'll go into PinMame and try to test the ROM. I think I remember how to do that........not sure if I'm on the right track with that or not but it's something to try.

Thanks

Ack! .........that would sure of made it easy. Thanks!

Thanks Outhere for the link to the tutorial.........I searched quite a bit for something like that and it never popped up........must not have used the proper search keywords. I have it filed away for future reference.

Thanks again guys!

Archived