Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

I think all my issues are caused by the stars in the background as im using STTNG as my test.. Each duration was never any less than about 2000 the last being 3070 i think..

Ive found that choosing a different frame or using an alternate hash would sometimes fix it not switching, however it would still indicate a palette switch with the green led but not change the color on most occasions..

Is it possible that the stars are causing the not switching colors issue im having. Ill have a try with some other roms to see when i get the chance..

Hey guys -

Have a little bit on confusion..

In -editor, when I go up to menu Palettes / Mode -> USB Config and select a palette color, and click "Set Palette", it saves to the screen just fine. (Screen is updated with new palette.) And then next time I turn game on, the palette is loaded just fine. :)

But when I go to make my own palette - set it to two planes, and modify the correct 4 colors (1, 2, 5, 16), and then click 'Upload Palette', the screen is updated, looks fantastic. However, the next time the screen loses power and reboots, it's back to the original palette that I did up above, not the custom one i just made.

How do I get my custom colors to stick? I tried 'save palette' to an XML file, put that on SD, but it didn't stick either.

Thanks -

Mike

Edit to add that there's a bug, as well -

Under TWO planes, the colors that are available to edit are (left to right):

First, Second, Fifth, Sixteenth. (1, 2, 5, 16.)

However, what 2.05 firmware uses are:

Fisrt, Second, Eight, Sixteenth. (1, 2, 8, 16.)

You have to export your palette to palettes.dat and copy this file to sd card.

I contact Steve about the palette numbering in the editor.

Hi Lucky -

I don't have an 'Export Palettes' option, only a 'Export Project' and a 'Save Palettes'. The former saves it as 'export.dat', while the latter saves it as 'patelle'xml'. :D Which one's the right one? :)

rename export.dat to palettes.dat

Ah, gotcha!

Followup -

Well, as constructive criticism, both this and the pin2dmd.exe are the most un-user-friendly applications there ever is. From little things to like having to rename files from default (export.dat to palettes.dat?), to now, I get a null reference error when trying to save the .dat file:

java.lang.NullPointerException
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.license.LicenseManagerImpl.requireOneOf(LicenseManagerImpl.java:179)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.exportProject(PinDmdEditor.java:521)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.exportProject(PinDmdEditor.java:509)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.lambda$createMenu$103(PinDmdEditor.java:1435)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor$$Lambda$5/1263793464.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Unknown Source)
  org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Unknown Source)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.open(PinDmdEditor.java:387)
  com.rinke.solutions.pinball.PinDmdEditor.main(PinDmdEditor.java:266)

It looks like it's looking for something related to license file, but I have my .key on the device already, and the .key file is in the directory that I'm running -editor from. So, I pretty much give up for now. Why have this at all when 'Upload Palette' is available, and the pin2dmd.exe can make palettes stick?

There's a lot of refinery to be done here, I admit, but some of these things are basic, programming 101 errors. Null Reference error? :D

• Content Provider

You have to register your key in the editor also under Help-Register.

I admit that there is a lot work to be done to reach a "usable by everybody state" but remember

PIN2DMD Editor is in proof of concept/alpha stadium and not to be considered stable at all.

If you can do better, you are invited to help us to get there.

Well I for one totally appreciate all the work that you have put into this project Lucky, It has been a bit of a struggle but I have a couple perfectly working awesome looking Pin2DMDs working in my TOM and TZ.  If you were to wait until the code was perfect to publish anything it would not be a public project it would be a business.  Don't let anyone piss on your parade this is fantastic stuff and I've learned a lot along the way so far.  My goal is to have these in all 7 of my Pins soon. Thanks to all you guys for your work UncleSash and Steve too!!

• Content Provider

Thanks for your encouraging words. I must say sometimes it is hard to go on, because of all the expectations

some of the users have in this project. We started this project just 6 month ago and users expect to be it like

colorDMD with a full featured bugfree editor but for a third of the price. ColorDMD is now 6 years old and has never released

a public editor. If you want to have something like this, just buy it. I have nothing against constructive criticism,

like "it would be better if this button does that" etc, but saying that the applications are "most un-user-friendly

applications" is not at all constructive. It is the opposite and not even usable to improve something.

You have to register your key in the editor also under Help-Register.

I admit that there is a lot work to be done to reach a "usable by everybody state" but remember

PIN2DMD Editor is in proof of concept/alpha stadium and not to be considered stable at all.

If you can do better, you are invited to help us to get there.

Okay, well, as far as I figured, it's not documented anywhere that that was a requirement. (Aside form the actual confusion why the software has to be registered as well, apart from the STM32?) Anyways, thanks, see below.

Well I for one totally appreciate all the work that you have put into this project Lucky, [...] If you were to wait until the code was perfect to publish anything it would not be a public project it would be a business.

I'm not expecting 'perfect to publish'. However, a simple message like, 'Hey, dumbass, you have to register the software, too!' instead of a Null Reference error would be a little more helpful, and likely stop more people (than just myself) from having similar problems, posting similar messages, and taking away time from development.

Thanks for your encouraging words. I must say sometimes it is hard to go on, because of all the expectations

some of the users have in this project. We started this project just 6 month ago and users expect to be it like

colorDMD with a full featured bugfree editor but for a third of the price. ColorDMD is now 6 years old and has never released

a public editor. If you want to have something like this, just buy it. I have nothing against constructive criticism,

like "it would be better if this button does that" etc, but saying that the applications are "most un-user-friendly

applications" is not at all constructive. It is the opposite and not even usable to improve something.

I said a lot more than simply 'most un-user friendly', thank you for only seeing that part, apparently.

And I'd LOVE to add my expertise to the application. However, I only work on closed-source applications when i get paid; it's my day-job, after all. :D

I'm not expecting a lot. Documentation would help, or usable error messages. Something saying, "Has to be registered!" would go a lot farther than a null reference exception. OR, a where I could search for it, and bet told, 'Hey, you need to register.'. I would expect errors like this from an open-source project, where I could then look up the source code and go, 'Oh, it's trying to access property licence_key, which isn't set.'

Along the same lines, the naming thing. Where is it stated that 'palettes.dat' needs to me manually copied to the device, when the other application uploads it fine? On top of that, exporting a PROJECT by the name of 'export.dat' is what is needed, after being renamed to 'palettes.dat'. :) So, in reality, I'd be real curious if *anyone* would be able to figure that completely out without having to ask any questions. :D

I would like to second mageeks comments. I think this is a fantastic project and cannot stand people knocking you and your project. Yes it's a bit of a learning curve so what. You also I am sure have a day job and this is a spare time project and must take up a lot of that time. Don't be discouraged there are heaps of us who appreciate your efforts and are thankful. After all you are raising money for a charity as well.

• Content Provider

Now I understand. As a professional programmer you naturally have expectations which makes you more

critical while others are just glad to have something they can work with at all and ignore all the error

messages they get.

would be a little more helpful, and likely stop more people (than just myself) from having similar problems, posting similar messages, and taking away time from development.

Documentation would help, or usable error messages.

You are also invited to write a short doc with all the experience you have now or make a list with

suggestions for improvement.

I recently such a problem, how to change the VpinMAME.dll file, to record the sequence at the C / tmp, game stutters and it comes very slowly :wacko:

Since the DLL is writing to disk, speed will be slow - depending on system, it could be VERY slow. While the directory isn't configurable, make sure that as little other programs are running, put VP on it's lowest graphics settings, to give the CPU more free cycles to write data to the file.

Now I understand. As a professional programmer you naturally have expectations which makes you more

critical while others are just glad to have something they can work with at all and ignore all the error

messages they get.

You are also invited to write a short doc with all the experience you have now or make a list with

suggestions for improvement.

I may actually do this. :)

Is there a way to change dynamically updated images when there is no reliable frame to detect? for example the High score list..  

Also what is the function of MASK in the editor? and its usage..

And  ive started to play with the mark and cut options to increase the color depth, what file do i end up with using this opition ? Is it stored in the palettes.dat file or do you need to save as another file?

Im liking this project very much, a very nice way of updating all my machines without spending big bucks..

Thanks

• Content Provider

Is there a way to change dynamically updated images when there is no reliable frame to detect? for example the High score list..  

Also what is the function of MASK in the editor? and its usage..

The mask is for masking out dynamic content for detection. If mask is set it only detects the areas which are not masked out.

You can set this option for each frame individually but currently can only use one mask for the whole project.

And  ive started to play with the mark and cut options to increase the color depth, what file do i end up with using this opition ? Is it stored in the palettes.dat file or do you need to save as another file?

Im liking this project very much, a very nice way of updating all my machines without spending big bucks..

Thanks

You end up with a pin2dmd.fsq file which you need to put on your sd too. it contains all sequences you create with mark/cut.

The keyframe then holds the offset information for the sequence.

Since the DLL is writing to disk, speed will be slow - depending on system, it could be VERY slow. While the directory isn't configurable, make sure that as little other programs are running, put VP on it's lowest graphics settings, to give the CPU more free cycles to write data to the file.

Thanks, but previously worked well,   ;)   

and in what format must be animated, as in this video Stefan

rename export.dat to palettes.dat

Okay, now that I've gotten the editor registered, still not working. And for those that think I'm being too harsh, please feel free to chime in and tell me what I'm doing wrong, since noone else seems to be having these issues.

End Goal: Custom define a palette. No animation keyframes, no masks - whole game, one palette.

Steps I'm taking, in order:

Running -editor.exe

Go to "Palettes/Mode" -> "Load palette".

Select previously saved palette.

Under Palettes, I now have two in the drop-down list, both named "0 - default".

I select the second one, which is the one I just imported, and set type from 'NORMAL' to 'DEFAULT'.

I then go to File -> Esport Project.

Save is as 'export.dat'.

Manually copy file over to SD card, and rename it 'palettes.dat'.

Insert card back into shield.

Press black button to reset.

Screen comes up with palette saved in "pin2dmd.dat", not "palettes.dat".

What am I missing?

Edit: I've also tried the following options:

- Saving directly to SD card instead of C:\, and saving as 'palettes'dat' instead of 'export.dat' and then renaming.

- Tried renaming a palette, though the rename button seems/appears to do nothing, and typing into the combobox also seems to not have any result.

- Would try deleting the original palette, but.. you can't. There's no 'delete' button for a palette. And I don't believe this would matter, either, as the shield doesn't even display the original "0- default" palette.

--Me.

Gday coyote

I had all sorts of problems also as the software is very early..

Does the Pin2dmd.exe tool work for you? If you load Pin2dmd.exe and select from the various defined palette options are the changes reflected on the DMD?

With the editor i just export straight to the sd card and rename palettes.dat at the same time just like your doing.

What do you mean by "Screen comes up with palette saved in "pin2dmd.dat", not "palettes.dat"." Do you mean on the DMD display? Pin2dmd.dat is created by the Pin2dmd.exe and palettes.dat by the editor..

When renaming a palette you have to select that palette, change the text to what you like leaving the number and dash at the start and then hit the RENAME button..