Are There Instructions To Making Table And Backglass Videos?

bpjacobsen

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive my ignoramous but it looks like you open the .bat file and paste the script into it but after you put it in notepad and make the necessary path edits etc. However, where does CapScreenCab.exe "Dungeons and dragons.vpt" get entered? I tried entering that first but still get errors saying it's not a valid command or something. I have never run batch files so I have no clue what I'm doing.

• Content Provider

It is an AutoHotkey script.

Www.ahkscript.org

The script requires ffmpeg.

Ffmpeg.zeranoe.com

The script must be run from the command line.

If you are not comfortable with code or running programs from the command line, you can try a for-profit solution like FRAPS or Camtasia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Content Provider

Download the static build of ffmpeg and extract it on a drive.

Download and install AutoHotkey.

Copy and paste the script into Notepad and save as capscreens.ahk.

Download xpath.ahk. The link is in the script. Copy it to the same folder where you saved capscreens.ahk.

In capscreens.ahk change the install paths for pinballx and ffmpeg if needed

In windows explorer, find capscreens.ahk. Right-click and select compile.

Now try to run it.

Couple more questions (Sorry for my ignorance)

1. Where do I place the CapScreenCab.exe "table name.vpt" line? At the top of the script? Or how am I applying this part of the equation to tell ffmpeg to make the videos for the specified table?

2. I don't see a link in the script for xpath.ahk???

3. How do I change the path for ffmpeg? I see where it says run ffmpeg but I am not seeing a path.

Thanks!

• Content Provider

1. Run it from the command line. So the command would be the path to the exe file then the the exe file name followed by the table name including the extension within quotes

2. Are you using the latest script from Feb 11 in that same thread?

3. Latest script?

When you say the exe, you mean CapScreenCab.exe "table name.vpt" ?? So this is all I type in the CMD line? I guess I'm confused about where the actual script is being run. Sorry to be such an ignorant dunce but this is brand spankin new to me. I just want to be able to easily create the backglass and table videos. Not so much learn how to write script, but run them properly . lol Thanks.

• Content Provider

Well, you also need to tell the OS where it can find your compiled exe file. If you have it located in PinballX\scripts\ then the full command would be

C:\pinballx\scripts\capscreencab.exe "table name.vpt"

It will take a couple of minutes to capture the videos. After that time, the program, will shut down VP and a second pass will run that processes the videos and saves them to your PinballX\media\Visual Pinball folder

As long as PinballX and VP and B2S were set up correctly then this should work

OK, I think I am getting closer to comprehending this stuff. So this is what I am understanding: First you compile the script using AHK which creates an EXE file, then you run that per above to create the videos correct? The part I'm still

confused about is the following:

Download xpath.ahk. The link is in the script. Copy it to the same folder where you saved capscreens.ahk. (I am not following this part. I don't see any link to this in the script. I don't think I have the latest. Can you provide a link to the latest script? That might be why I'm confused. I think I grabbed one from October at this link: http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/15207-capture-videos-to-pinballx-media-table-backglass-and-dmd/

Thanks again. Almost there I think  :) 

• Content Provider

I'm away from my computer. Keep reading through that thread. I published a newer script last month that reads the description tag from your xml and names the file to that. It's more code but a little less effort to maintain the contents of your media folders.

Here it is:

http://www.gameex.info/forums/topic/15207-capture-videos-to-pinballx-media-table-backglass-and-dmd/page-3#entry138203

I have the updated script with the xpath link but I can't get the link to come up. says 

This webpage is not available

Is it possible to put the correct link here? Or is there a rule against it? Sorry to be Dr. Clueless here but I'm really confused.  Thanks!

• Content Provider

The link in the script goes right to HorseyHorsey's post in the PinballX Forums where he has his Dropbox link. I just tested it. It's working. Are you sure you are using the latest script? The link in my previous post goes right to where I published the latest script on Feb 10.

OK, I have the xpath.exe compiled but when I run the CMD, it takes a second and brings me back to the cmd prompt. It's not running basically. Please check the attached text version of the script and let me know if I missed something. I only updated the path for pinballx

and ffmpeg. I don't use future pinball so I assume the OSB is not needed? Let me know if I missed something in the my command. I think I'm close though.

post-7341-0-16751500-1426039529_thumb.png

capscreens.txt

I finally got it to run yay! However, I can't find the videos? Where are the videos saved? Is it possible to exclude the DMD video? I have not been downloading those. Would prefer to not have them for now. I don't have 3 monitors yet and it doesn't seem to want to stay in the spot I position it in. Thanks!

I can see that the script is supposed to save the mp4 files to the correct directories in pinballx but no files got saved. It ran the table and b2s for about a minute but I did not see a second pass and don't see the files. Did I miss something? The reason it didn't run at all before was because I had the ffmpeg directory incorrect. 

• Content Provider

For VP, the script reads in your screen resolutions from screenres.txt - it's the B2S file that you should have configured. If you don't have a third screen configured, then it should skip over recording the DMD.

Are you sure that the files did not get saved in the correct folder? The script produces the videos in an f4v wrapper, not mp4. If there was an issue finding a name match in your xml then the video might have saved without a file name and just an f4v extension. The matching is case sensitive. It has to be an exact match. Copy and paste the game name tag directly from the xml if you must to make sure.

Do you have a backglass video but no table video? 

Does the playfield width and height in your screenres.txt match the dimensions that you run within VP in Video Preferences.

Do you use the entire screen for your backglass in screenres.txt? Do you use the offsets? My script doesn't really account for that situation.

Are you running the version with audio capture without defining a capture device? I have an alternate line in the script that will run ffmpeg without audio capture.

If you are thinking that ffmpeg is not recording then you can copy and paste the ffmpeg call into a command line and see if it will capture something. Replace %PF-width% and %PF_height% with the resolution of your playfield. And replace %A_ScriptDir% and direct the output someplace specific. Something like this:

ffmpeg -t 70 -rtbufsize 1500M -f gdigrab -framerate 30 -offset_x 0 -offset_y 0 -video_size 1920x1080 -i desktop -vcodec libx264 -preset ultrafast -qp 0 -threads 8 "C:\temp\playfield.mkv"

Do you have the interim mkv files in the folder from which you are running the script?

You might try running ffmpeg and the script executable as administrator.

Is it starting the game? If not, is the file name you typed in is not correct. Did you include the .vpt extension?

See if some of these solves the issue. If not then it would probably be best to contact me at that thread at the PinballX forums.

I tried removing the audio reference since I don't have anything specified and used the one below that without the audio (removed the ; of course) still no videos.

However, You mentioned about mkv files. Where do I find those? I don't have any mkv files. It is starting the game and B2S but only runs for about 20 seconds. no errors. I confirmed all file names match X-Men exactly including the caps. Perhaps the mkv absence is my issue? Please let me know.  Thanks

Archived