Running Multiple Vps On A Cabinet

hokiejackson

I am new to VPU and VP in general. I've been voraciously reading this and other forums trying to get up to speed including the installation guides, etc. Lot's to learn.

One thing I've having a hard time getting clarity on is running 9.2.1, 9.9.0 and physmod5 on the same system.

I gather many people do this successfully. It sounds like simply plopping the respective .exe files in the same folder.

My understanding is windows can only run one version of DX. So, if 9.9.0 requires DX9 then does that break 9.2.1 when it runs or is it compatible with DX9?

Next, the minimal VP installations files also include 2 .dll files. Are there compatibility issues amongst versions of VP with the .dlls. Which .dlls should be used to work with multiple versions of VP?

Are there any side affects or different settings by having multiple versions of VP running? Or other special considerations?

For Physmod5 is sounds like it is a simple swap with 9.9.0 except for the shared registry and nudging impact. I see some posts of modded versions with a separate registry file or using batch files to make adjustments. Any guidance here - specifically which method is most reliable with the least impact.

Thanks for your support in advance and I'm excited to join your community.

• Content Provider

Which launcher are you using/planning on using? 

DX9 is backwards compatible, you will not break vp9.2.1 by running vp9.9.0+ and PhysMod

I'm not sure which other .dll you're referring to, but the VPinMAME.DLL is universal for all VP versions

As you mentioned, the nudge settings in the registry is the only thing that will bother you (related to an analog nudging device) - nothing else will have any effect. I do not know the best way to fix this so I'll leave it to someone else to answer.

In summary, the only thing you need to actually run a second VP on your system is to put the .EXE in you Visual Pinball folder and name it differently than the other version of VP

Archived