Flatpack 46/27/dmd

neohusky

Hi All

Like everyone else I have been inspired by the greats of this community Chris, Maxx, DeeGor and many others.

My project started over 12mths ago with the purchase of the screens and toys. Unfortunately, life (marriage and long honeymoon) got in the way :).

The plan is to build a Williams Widebody clone with all the bells and whistles. The theme is still WIP.

Ideas change so rapidly around here that my plan for wiring and screens has changed. The delay of 12 months has seen the creation of LEDwiz booster and then revised booster boards. In addition to this pinDMD and then pinDMD2 were developed to bring us real DMDs. With both these significant changes all my plans for fuses, resistor boards and a long search or 15.6" screens we're in vein. Rather than sticking with original plans I decided to go with the latest ideas and trends.

Cabinet

- Arcadeworx Williams Wide Body flatpack

- Ultimate Cab-Builder's Kit (Widebody)

Computer

- CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K (3.40GHz - 3.80GHz Turbo, 650-1150MHz GPU) LGA1155 Desktop Processor CPU BX80637I53570K

- CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80i

- RAM: GSkill F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB DDR3 RAM KIT PC-12800 1600Mhz (2 x 4GB) Dual Channel [Ripjaws]

- MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H (rev. 1.0)

- SSD: Samsung 2.5" 128GB 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

- GFX: EVGA GTX 560 Ti 1GB DDR5 Nvidia Graphics Card PCI Express 2.0 x16

- PSU: Thermaltake 775w TPX-775MPCAU Toughpower XT Cable Management PSU TT-TPX-775MPCAU

Sound

Sound Card: sound blaster x-fi titanium hd pcie

Speakers: Creative GigaWorks T3 2.1 system

Screens

- Playfield screen: Samsung UE46D6000PW - 46" full HD

Decased dimensions: mm x mm

- Backbox screen: AOC e2752Vh Glossy Black 27" 2ms HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20,000,000:1 (dynamic) Built-in Speakers

Decased dimensions: 731mm x 368mm

- DMD: Vishay LEE-128G032B controlled via pinDMD2

Cabinet Hardware

Buttons: Launch Ball, Start, Exit (Pinballlife)

4 x Clear Flipper Buttons (pinballheavenuk)

KeyboardEncoder: IPAC2

Plunger: Mot-Ion Adaptor Digital Plunger Kit

Coin Validators: 2 x $1 Australian

Force Feedback

LEDwiz

Zeb's Revised Booster Board

Contactors: 8 x Seimens 3RT1016-1BA42

Gear Motor: VW Golf Mk3 Front Wiper Moto

Replay Knocker: Williams/Bally Knocker Assembly AE-23-800

Shaker: Wolfsoft Shaker

Nudge: Microsoft SideWinder Freestyle Pro

Lighting

Topper: 5 x Cree RGBW LEDs

Playfield: 5 x Cree RGBW LEDs

TR 2 x 22 LED Car Truck Flash Strobe Light

UnderCab: 5M RGB 5050 SMD 150 Flexible LED Light Strips

InsideCab: 5M SMD5050 LED Rope Strip lights 300leds Cool white

Flippers: RGB litemite kit

post-102-135997246985_thumb.jpgPC Assembled last week and Win7 installed.

I tried winXP black edition to preload drivers for the SSD which was pre formatted on a win7 machine. WinXP appeared to install OK. After the first reboot following install I get BSOD. I persisted for hours and finally gave into win7.

I looked far and wide for a 30" monitor that didn't require selling any body parts. A used Samsung 30" Syncmaster 305T popped up on eBay. PERFECT. I pickup it up in great working order and put it in storage while my project waited for 12months.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23729&d=1359

attachment.php?attachmentid=23728&d=1359

I decased it with ease and recently connected it to the PC.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23730&d=1359

Oh NO! The screen appears to have gone. I'm getting vertical stripping across the whole screen and a 1 inch horizontal blur across the top. I changed the dvi cable, changed resolutions, attempted self tests and even tried it on another computer. Bad news! It's now no good.

I spent the weekend weighing up my options:

32" LED 720p tv

27" LED monitor

A 32" means a slightly larger backbox and slightly higher price. Whilst the 27" will fit nicely in a std sized Widebody backbox with a bezel probably painted on the backglass.

As many have advised in the past the backglass will simply display the static image and I was already ticked off at the loss of the 30".

I've settled on a 27" AOC e2752Vh. I used a similar AOC 27" for my hyperspin cab last year and found it easy to decase and image quality was acceptable.

The monitor decasing took a little longer than expected. I must admit that you can certainly see how cheaply these screens are assembled. Fortunately the image quality of the panel is acceptable for its intended purpose.

The front bezel came off easily. When I flipped the screen the rear case wouldn't come off. Closer investigation revealed that the rear case was attached to the power/video board shroud. Pulling on the rear case actually began pulling the power/video away from the panel. wtf?

attachment.php?attachmentid=23753&d=1359

I drilled out the point where the rear case was attached to the power/video board.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23754&d=1359

The power/video board shroud is attached to the panel with duct tape ??? OMG, how cheap? Looks like I'll have to augment the duct take with some stronger adhesive.

attachment.php?attachmentid=23755&d=1359

Finally, I broke the spot welds and removed to unnecessary brackets.

The final product a 27" panel 731mm x 368mm

Oh NO! The screen appears to have gone. I'm getting vertical stripping across the whole screen and a 1 inch horizontal blur across the top. I changed the dvi cable, changed resolutions, attempted self tests and even tried it on another computer. Bad news! It's now no good.

It is probably the board. Not the screen.

You should be able to find one on Ebay for fairly cheap. Replace it and see what happens.

I've had a quick look on eBay. Found a video board for a little over $100 and similarly a power board for under $100.

A little pricey,but, would have been more economical than buying a smaller 27"

I decided yesterday to put it on eBay for sale and get some money back from it. I know I could save a bit by attempting a repair in the end I decided that there is too much else to think about with the cab (big picture) than get bogged down with this.

Archived