Visual Pinball On A 7" Tw700 Winbook Tablet

Had some downtime yesterday and got an email from Microcenter about a price reduction on the Winbook 7" TW700. never given them a 2nd look to be honest. always simply thought they were some cheap bit of crap trying to be a tablet. Hell for $59 how good could it possibly be?  So decided I could potentially use it to stream my UK channels via a vpn client to my TV here in the US. We normally use a 1st gen Ipad, but thats currently being used by our son and the old iphone I replaced it with for that task does not seem to be doing it so well.  Given the winbook as an HDMI out I figured it may well do the job fine. For $59 heck i reckoned worse case it would make a decent little mame donor for a micro cab.

So went and picked one up.

to my surprise, full version of Windows 8.1, (its not the RT crap)

1.33 ghz quad core atom, bursts to 1.8

1gb memory

advertised as 16gb,  although only 5gb free when you get it, the rest is taken up by a hidden restore partition. I understand you can play with that and move it to a usb stick but for my needs its fine. It has a micro sd slot and is expandable to 64mb so I picked up a 32gb card also.

1280x800 IPS screen

and so on..

first thing i tried was my VPN software and then BBC iplayer, ITV and so on. works like a charm. connected it up to the TV with a micro HDMI to HDMI cable and still doing great.

Well had to try visual pinball next :)

downloaded VP and required files and then had to install direct X.

9.9 didn't want to seem to launch without errors, so fell back to 9.2.1

dropped the alpha settings to around 50% and textures down to 1024, removed the ball reflection stuff and I have to say for the couple of tables i played its more than decent. I noticed a little skip on heavy lights going off, but I am pretty sure with a few tweaks you can address that both in VP and in the OS overhead.

Way nicer than playing the pinball arcade, the on screen controls were brilliant, and using a keyboard encoder would be a snap.

later I played with installing mame and its brilliant as an arcade emulator. Again, not sure I would try doing current console emulation on it but for the stuff in mame I like its great. Rtype played flawless :)

I even hooked up a keyboard and mouse and to my 24" desktop monitor to make setting stuff up easier, mirrored the desktop, even extended it to the 2nd monitor and had the browser up full screen and speed and performance was great.

for $59 you can't go wrong, it would make all sorts of great little servers, etc around the house. touch screen jukebox was also something i played with using mediamonkey.

video of some VP play.

http://vid913.photobucket.com/albums/ac340/gbconcepts/Pinball/D8FEA612-C64D-42D2-9B1C-245EDF55091D_zpsnoipkgid.mp4

Mameman, do you Play MAME with the Touchscreen ?

This Winbooks Looks very well, and a Top Price.

not tried the version that apparently (105u4) has the touch setup still in it. I read they pulled it out in the later versions. just tried std mame real quick using a keyboard and it was great at doing that. I figure if I do anything with it I will be using a encoder in a mini cab so not concerned about touch controls.

• 2 months later...

Mameman,

I'm curious what program you used or how you trsnslated the screen touch for the flippers and plunger to key presses.  Would you mind explaining how you did that?  It would be greatly appreciated!

*edit - Nevermind.  I just installed Visual Pinball and to my surprise it just worked without doing anything extra!

Thank you,

wtiger

Thanks Mameman.  I purchased the TW802 so that I could get a slightly larger screen but more importantly to me double the RAM and the storage.  I installed Bluestacks on it for Android emulation (to play games of course) and it works very good.  I installed Visual Pinball 9.2.1 and it didn't work very well so I went down to 9.1.3.  It worked a little sluggish with Junkyard but Safecracker was OK other than a red border around the flasher images.  I just installed VP 9.9.1 and no more stutter on Junkyard and the red borders around the flasher images in Safecracker are gone!  I'm very pleased with this tablet.

Out of interest does the new Zaccaria Pinball App on Android work for you with Bluestacks? They completely rewrote the physics and it now compares favourable with PM5 physics.

The first version of the Zaccaria app worked in Bluestacks for me, but now it stops running when I launch a table, so am curious if it is specific to my PC.

ok thanks Loafmesiter.  Out of interest where are people discussing this?  I posted about it over at the TPA forums (maybe you that is what you read - I am silverballs there :)).  Other than that I haven't seen anything else about it running under Bluestacks. 

Out of interest does the new Zaccaria Pinball App on Android work for you with Bluestacks? They completely rewrote the physics and it now compares favourable with PM5 physics.

The first version of the Zaccaria app worked in Bluestacks for me, but now it stops running when I launch a table, so am curious if it is specific to my PC.

The first time I opened the app I got to the table selection page, selected a table then at the loading page the app stopped working after a few seconds.  I opened the app again, and now it works.  I turned down the graphics settings but it is too slow/too low FPS to be playable, but it does work.

OK thanks wtiger. For me it was smooth with all the graphic settings turned down (unlike Revenge of the Robot), but no matter what I do it crashes when I load a table. As soon as the update with the combat table was applied that is what is when I got the crashes.

• Content Provider

I had to get an older, pre-rooted Bluestacks install package to get the new Zacc app to work. It isn't buttery smooth 100% of the time but if you tinker with the quality settings it's playable.

• Content Provider

As soon as the update with the combat table was applied that is what is when I got the crashes.

I wish there was the resources to have a nice VP Combat... I'm having the same issue with getting Zaccaria Pinball to work. I thought I was able to find the same Bluestacks as Fren had, but I was wrong. I am able to get Pinball Fantasies to work, but the graphics are washed out.

I had to get an older, pre-rooted Bluestacks install package to get the new Zacc app to work. It isn't buttery smooth 100% of the time but if you tinker with the quality settings it's playable.

Thanks for the tip Fren. If possible would you mind pm'ing a link where that is please?

Archived