Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/dmd - Standard Body

mikekim

This is a truncated post of the 30+ page thread that has been ongoing for over 2.5 years  at  Hyperspin.

the full thread can be found here

After seeing Mamemans fantasitic Tron P2K build, I thought about doing something similar, but decided against it, and plumped for a standard body cab (Freezy's detailed plans helped to a certain degree), and the detailed threads from Chriz99 and Deegor.

I have decided to theme the cabinet on artwork from the Watchmen Series, as I thought that it would look good on the Cabinet.

PC

the PC i'm using was probably a bit overkill for a cabinet, back when I started this build, (I7 980X) but it was a spare machine I've had sitting around that was no longer used for gaming. I've had to purchase a couple of items to make it viable as a machine for this purpose (this machine originally had an OCZ IBIS drive, but that is far to temperamental for a machine that needs to run without issues, so it was replaced with an OCZ Agility 4 120GB SSD). this machine is fully Watercooled, so I will be changing the coolant to sunburst yellow which will match the theme of the cabinet artwork, when installed in the cab. I have some ideas about positioning the radiator externally on the underside of the cab, with some form of removable base for the PC and radiator to be installed on.

This machine has a GTX 780ti for the mainscreen and back glass.

DMD is provided by a Vishay 12v Plasma and PINDMD1

I have installed Hyperspin, VP and FP on a clean windows 7 build using the latest WHQL drivers, after many days of figuring things out i have a system up and running with 25 tables :cheers:

As I have a 6 core system, I  have set the luxury of spreading out the processor affinity so that each main program gets its own pair of cores.

currently it is set for the following:

VP and FP to run on cores 4-5,

Hyperspin to run on 2-3

and the rest to run on 0-1. I might have to adjust this later on (i have also disabled Hyperthreading)

PC Specs

Intel Core i7 980X 3.33GHz, Extreme Edition (Socket LGA1366)

(O/C'd to 4.2Ghz)

Asus Rampage III Extreme,X58, S1366, DDR3 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz

Enermax Galaxy EGX850EWL 850W Modular PSU

EVGA GTX 780ti, 40nm, 3072MB Graphics Card

OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive

Akasa SATA-III 50cm Rounded Data Cable

Asus Xonar D2X 7.1 PCI-E Sound Card

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

XSPC X2O 750 Dual 5.25” Bay Reservoir Pump

HK CPU Backplate LGA 1366

HK CPU LGA1366 Waterblock

EK CoolStream Triple Radiator XT 360 (360mm)

6m XSPC HighFlex Hose 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, Clear/UV

2L Mayhems Pastel - Sunset Yellow Coolant cooling fluid

L6Zl6K.jpg

the pc is installed on a removeable tray  so it can be removed for transportation, as the watercooling radiator is mounted underneath the cab.

here are a couple of shots of the finished front inside..

xrgRFy.jpg

front  of cab showing the wires hidden in cable tray as it hides a multitude of sins, makes everything look so neat..

VEk96g.jpg

shot of cab showing pc and Virtual I/O tray installed.

04V7qA.jpg

the backbox is a one of a kind custom special with rounded sides..

EJ96UB.jpg

the dmd is fitted above the sunken playfield in the cab where most people  normally mount their flashers.

Wow! That is really nice! What are the speaker grills from? Looks like something for a car, vintage dashboard accents of some kind.

-Mike

The speaker grills are from a type 1 vw beetle.. picked them up off of eBay.

Sent from my HTC One_M8

Archived