Batman Dark Knight Wip

85vett

• Content Provider

Time to start a WIP for this table as well.  Not a lot of progress yet but it atleast shows it's been started.  A lot of work to do but it should see the light of day in the future.

1408716183.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Content Provider

Sweet. Can't wait. I really like this table.

Hey if those are my primitive bumpers, select the bumper rings and change them to sphere map.

That will get some metal texture on the posts. I noticed in the pic they are showing white. I just saw this in my pinball magic wip

• Content Provider

Sweet. Can't wait. I really like this table.

Hey if those are my primitive bumpers, select the bumper rings and change them to sphere map.

That will get some metal texture on the posts. I noticed in the pic they are showing white. I just saw this in my pinball magic wip

Yeah, I'm starting to use those bumpers since I saw them in MB.  Much better than the walls we used before.  I need to adjust that as well as play with the textures on the post as they are to transparent.  That template table you made has come in handy.  I hope someone makes a guide on making plastics out of primatives as that's something I'd like to start adding as well and have no clue what to do there.

A dream come true.

Saw several asking for this table so figured I'd start a WIP earlier than usual to help let everyone know it is truly being worked on.

• Content Provider

The plastics are super simple.

You just need to open a new table in fp.

Set the dimensions to match the vp table.

I use the vp dimension manager then convert inches to mm.

Import your blueprint into fp. Place and size your plastic height also.

Save it. Then import it into blender, the whole table.

Select the individual plastic. Export as obj. Make sure you have selection only checked.

Then re import just that plastic into blender. Scale it by I can't remember the number off hand. .0019 I think.

Uv unwrap it.

Export the uv layout.

Then export the obj.

When you import into vp set the coordinates to 0 0 0 and scale by .97.

It should be in the exact place and you're good

• Content Provider

The plastics are super simple.

You just need to open a new table in fp.

Set the dimensions to match the vp table.

I use the vp dimension manager then convert inches to mm.

Import your blueprint into fp. Place and size your plastic height also.

Save it. Then import it into blender, the whole table.

Select the individual plastic. Export as obj. Make sure you have selection only checked.

Then re import just that plastic into blender. Scale it by I can't remember the number off hand. .0019 I think.

Uv unwrap it.

Export the uv layout.

Then export the obj.

When you import into vp set the coordinates to 0 0 0 and scale by .97.

It should be in the exact place and you're good

actually I've been thinking about this today........what is the benefit of using primitive plastics? I can't think of one

• Content Provider

I can only think of 2 benefits.

1 is higher resolution plastic images. As each plastic image can be around 1024 x 1024. Also for plastics with transparent edges you can show some thickness rather then a flat transparent ramp.

Also In a case where the plastic may not be flat

• Content Provider

OK I think I can see that a little bit... on WWF my plastics are just walls, so side by side there's no benefit.

m3pYoPW.jpg

The left slingshot is primitive, the right slingshot is a wall.

But you brought up a good point, if I was using transparency on any plastics I would need to do a wall with a visible side and invisible top, then a ramp at the top height of the wall to get depth with transparency. But that can be achieved with primitives and then I only need one object...

I can see benefit there. But I think in some applications it's not worth the effort? Am I right? I'm all about using primitives on everything but lord it's a pain in the ass doing each individual plastic in a primitive! Especially in this case, I had to make the wall first anyways. Maybe I'm just being difficult :) I need to mess with it some more. It definitely would get quicker the more I did it but it took 10 minutes to do the first one.

So the only reason you do all the plastics separately is because of texture size? Have you tried doing a whole table with 1 plastic primitive?

• Content Provider

I should try the fp plastics approach just to broaden my horizon.  I think I have mostly used 1 big alpha ramp the size of the table for the plastics.  I photoshopped the plastics edges on the farfalla table, since it has transparent areas.  

Can't tell from the pic fren, but you could add a style layer to the plastic and give it a beveled edge for a more 3d appearance also

• Content Provider

ok last question then this can get back to dark knight

eLpphuR.jpg

those slingshot plastics are the same primitive. when I imported, and it asked if I wanted to mirror UVs, I said no. So with this I can use the same texture and obj for mirrored primitives like slingshots and lane guides. Do you see any issues with doing this?

• Content Provider

I was thinking of using primatives for the plastics as I normally use ramps.  I was thinking the primatives would make it easier to get things lined up.  I almost never use walls anymore as I have such a hard time getting them to line up correctly.

Anyways, now that 8Ball is uploaded, I'll put more focus on this table.  My wife is really looking forward to this one so I've got some added pressure ;-)

• Content Provider

I think it would be a harder time.... lining things up in vp, then fp, then exporting to blender and vp... it seems like a lot of work to me! I need to try to do this from the start though. I just did all the plastics on wwf in fp > blender> primitive and it is something else.

You need to use the smart uv unwrap otherwise it distorts the uv outline and it makes it hard to texture. Is that right?

I'll try that on my next table..................... maybe I've not given it a fair shake :)

• Content Provider

Yes smart uv unwrap.

The maybe resize the layout a bit..

For me I will do all the plastics in fp.

Which is faster for me then vp.

Import the table in blender.

Then export them one at a time.

Then as I add them to the vp table I'll size and uvmap them

Archived