Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Currently working on a mod of Sorbeppe's version of "They Live" (https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/30807-they-live-original-2023-physic-mod/ - thanks for permission!).

 

I was very busy these days and now on holidays so had some time to dig into this - so I'm sending a short current status ...

 

So far, I extensively changed rules and changed main table graphics a bit to match my rules, added sunglasses as a target with some very basic "info screen" on lenses, changed lot of lights etc. - everything is still work in progress... Added lot of new text on that "fake" DMD, support for scoring on b2s (with extra animation etc. - yes, working on new b2s too)... And added new game modes: "sleep mode" (working title) that starts when you reach specific amount of points - then all lights are off (center image) and you start to lose points if not hitting something (and if you have large amount of points, you can't also drain nor tilt to save yourself - need to play!  Will be configurable from script...  ), "Sunglasses mode" (also working title) where you get imitation of UV lights with completely different table graphichs that you can see only under when these "UV lights" are on (effect simmilar to "Stranger Things" pinball), "Hit them hard" mode (working title...) - where bumpers give 1000 points, "Wake up" mode (also working title, ofcourse) where you need to hit ramp kicker for extra score and bonus... etc etc etc.... + lot of changes on targets, bonus values, lights etc... But I am going on a vacation for a week and will be off for a while so this will wait a bit until I'm back...

 

Here is just a glimp of table in normal mode "Sleep" mode and small teaser of UV mode ;)

But all this is still in working stage - things will be changed before final release...

 

t1_normal.jpg

tl_dark.jpg

tl_uv.jpg

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

Back in business! And back to this... I've almost finished everything I planned, and now it's time for some fine-tuning before I move on to b2s...

 

And I must say, since I've only made a few simple mods so far, I can't really claim to have enough experience to make something perfectly polished or logical when it comes to gameplay rules. However, besides Wolfenstein 3D - which I extensively changed in terms of code, features, and game rules - this mod has pushed me to the absolute limits of my current knowledge in VPX scripting, 3D objects, code optimization, and game design. We'll see if it turns out to be interesting and fun to play, or if I "missed the mark"... :unsure::)

 

But there's still a lot of work to be done... I'll post a preview of the b2s here once it's ready...

Posted

I have no doubts. You'll do a great job and this is a pretty solid community if you get stuck on something. 🍻

Posted (edited)

After few days of designing b2s, I figured out: no way I can make anything better than Balutito's b2s (https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/14946-they-live-directb2s/)- that one fits SO GOOD! So I asked for his permission to mod it to my needs (adding players, score, animation, UV mode indicator, Full static DMD etc. etc. etc.)..

 

Still waiting for answer - hoping I'll go in that direction.... :)

 

UPDATE: Permission just granted by Balutito! Great!  Now, I'm back to work... :) 

 

 

Edited by arminio
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

To keep this thread alive (because "They live", don't they? ;) ), here's the latest update...

 

And yes - I know I am modding a mod, and that kind of work usually doesn't deserve as much attention as I am giving it since it's not an original creation. However, it is my most complex work so far in many aspects, so I would like to share the details with the world and maybe get some tips on how to do things differently, etc. ...

 

Now, back to the topic: I added a new set of rules, goals, and missions to make this more "movie-like" (so to speak...).

 

The main goal of this table now is, of course - to destroy the antenna, stop the signal, and save humanity! To do that, you need to activate WAKE UP mode and then hit the kicker lit by the "antenna" arrow (under the ramp - it is marked on the table -see image down - attraction mode shows it all). Doing that will get massive score etc.

 

And to activate WAKE UP, you must first get to the roof. You do that in "to the roof" mode, where you must hit the "S" from SLEEP letter set (which also grants you a massive bonus if you finally "destroy the antenna" by hitting that antenna kicker) or just press any MAGNA SAVE key - this is easier and instantly lights up WAKE UP mode, but you won't get the massive bonus when you destroy the antenna...

 

But how do you even activate "to the roof" mode? By lighting the W-A-K-E letters (middle of the table above the "THEY LIVE" logo, on Frank's and Nada's legs).

The W-A-K-E letters can be lit letter by letter in multiple ways: by hitting an alien in UV mode or simply by activating UV mode manually.

 

And how do you activate UV mode manually? It is activated when all OBEY letters are lit (2 sets). You can light the OBEY letters in multiple ways: one by one by hitting them directly with the ball... or (all of the following methods will be configurable through the script, so they are optional): by passing the ball under an alien while UV mode is inactive, by lighting all S-L-E-E-P letters, or via a skillshot. Any of these actions will light up one random letter in the currently active set (active set means: the set of OBEY letters you need to target is marked by the muzzle flash - either Nada's or Frank's - you can't just hit whatever you want - you need to target what the pinball marks).

 

Sounds confusing? Maybe it is, or maybe my English is just crap... or both... ;)

 

All modes and names are still in the "working phase," so this is just to give you a sense of the direction I'm going in... I hope it will all make sense when you try it (once I finish it)... Also, it sounds hard... And I must admit - it is not easy... But it is possible to reach end and get some short  re-edit of a final movie scene on that fake DMD :)


A glimpse of the current look of attraction mode (not much different from the last image I posted, but WAKE and SLEEP are new...):
 


image.thumb.png.2f0878318e181c1659c0b9384300d6a6.png

Edited by arminio
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted

After 3 days of headbanging (table crashes etc on flexDMD code), I finally manage to add flexDMD support!

Here is how it will look, for now (I put it on a table just for preview) - looks way better in full scale (image is resized so it is a bit ugly)... You can now move that DMD  to any screen you want!

 

image.png.7773515081328141b3230aaedc9a6210.png

Posted

OK - now we have FlexDMD so, if you want, you can add instruction card to apron hole (via script option)

 

image.png.dd1b04d951f5f5aecde17f4bb7c13079.png

 

Also, I changed fonts (redraw all images) for internal DMD for better clarity (I hope)  and also redraw all animations, logos etc. to clean images... I think it looks better now and the details are more visible... So, this is internal DMD:

 

image.png.79c936a6a41034583253ff03988588d2.png

 

image.png.d2ec3eed07e5664dfc85e3fe4c821e63.png

 

image.png.c22084ad35c79833525fa98abd969397.png

 

 

And FlexDMD looks like this  (dots added by Flex - I don't like how it looks but you can configure dot look inside Flex ini files...) - sorry for not precise cropped screenshots... I had some flu the last few days so my eyes are still "watery"... :(  :

 

image.png.7e900a84e2e7ce88ea4eea3576416f6b.png

 

image.png.da828d03328635afec43c8f07e861a46.png

 

 

 

B2S - current look in normal game - full DMD version -still not finished - need to fix borders around credits and ball LEDs + add text arund them...and need to make a version with speakers for Flex for 2 screen setups ...(I will not make one-for-all like I did on Dracula mod - this time Ill go with 2 separate b2s because I want to keep format and resolution and maybe have some small differences.... it will look better that way):

 

image.png.d96f452bfca41da9fd58c0473b4ec0d4.png

 

Posted

Thanks for interest! And for title idea! I use similar "They Live... Again!" sentence in final DMD text at the end of the game so I might really use it in the title too...  :)

 

Still finding (strange) bugs so I'm still "polishing" it... + had a flu (still have it :( ) + too busy these days... lot of things prevents me to "dig" into it with 100% capacity... :(

And at the beginning, I just thought - I'll improve current mod a bit... but then this become my biggest task since Wolfenstein mod! Here I need to get into flexDMD , make new DMD animations, change current DMD graphics, letters and animations, change bonus system, add new modes, goals,  tasks, multiplayer support for saving current game status, add movie sound clips, upgrade b2s... etc. etc. etc.)....

And the craziest thing is: here you maybe won't see much a difference in terms of visual impact than the current game I used as a source - it still looks and feels basically the same but with all additional things I listed... Crazy! :rolleyes:

 

Anyway - @Curse - expect first version for test in  a next 3-4 days! 

 

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
  • Create New...