Video Cards - 2 Cards Or More Ram In A Single Card?

TT11

Currently running a Pentium E6600 3.06Ghz dual core processor with a single ATI HD 6770 PCI-e video card with 1GB of GDDR5 memory.  Some of my latest Stern FP tables get the dreaded 'white/grey' playfield loading occassionally.......

My Asus mobo supports 2 x PCI-e video cards, but am wondering if running 2 cards non-Crossfire (1 for playfield and 1 for translite) is better or would an upgrade to say a single new R7 260X with 2GB GDDR5 memory be the easiest route to assist with laoding playfield textures?

Also, if removing the old card to insert a single new one (same maker - e.g. ATI) do I need to remove drivers and reboot and reinstall new drivers?  I guess that is a silly question so please be brutally honest with me.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Content Provider

I run an ATI R7-260X 2GB video card.  I run all three monitors (playfield, backglass, DMD) off that one card and I don't have any problems.  It runs very smooth.  Maybe ATI was an issue with older versions of VP, but with 9.2.1 and 9.9 I haven't had any issues.

How much RAM does your computer have?  

-Mike

edit - for the driver question.  Those video drivers are unified for multiple video cards, most likely the same driver will be used for both video cards.  So you don't really need to uninstall anything to put in a new card.  Only if you changing chips (going from AMD/ATI to nVidia) do you need to uninstall the driver first.

Thanks for the input - What model of Nvidia would you suggest as a possible upgrade?  The only problem i seem to have is the missing playfields occassionally under Future Pinball with the latest Stern's.  All my Visual Pinballs seem ok (bar say Playboy or GNR - which I have a problem with B2S in another thread)......!!

My PC is running 32 bit XP SP3 with 4GB of dual channel RAM but only registers about 3.87GB.  I notice it is running Catalyst driver @ 8.8 or 8.10 which is years old.  Do you reckon I should update the video driver to something more recent ??

• Content Provider

You should definitely update the video driver, that is a free easy step to try for improvements.   Unfortunately I can't give any help with FP as I don't have it installed.  Same with nVidia recomendations, I don't have one so I wouldn't be able to give a recommendation.  One thing to keep in mind is that your second PCIe slot will mostly likely be a 4x slot not a 16x so whatever you put in it will not have as good of performances as you might expect based on the card specs.

The 4GB should be OK for VP (esp. v 9.9) and FP.  Unless you are running FP with BAM, I would suspect it could get choppy if you are running the head tracking,  Those specs are a little low for smooth operation based on what I have played with in the past.

Archived