Another Arduino Ledwiz Alternative

elnino

Question

This one is a bit different from the others as it does not require you to reprogram the USB -> Serial controller in the Arduino.  It uses Arnet/DMX instead.  It means your investment in an arduino is ~$10 more for the ethernet one but it simplifies things a lot.  Most PC's in cabs will have an ethernet connection and my cab uses Wireless for management anyway...

My setup utilises DOF and an Ethernet enabled Arduino talking to my board which is basically a Ledwiz with no USB interface.  It took a while for me to get it all up and running but once I had the DOF side of it sussed, it was a quick process to get the arduino controlling the lights.

My cab is currently utilising all 32 outputs - 5 X RGB, 11 Contactors, Start Button, Coin, knocker and 3 X strobes and it works beautifully.

This setup has the same limitations of the LedWiz as far as electrical connections.  If you need to run more than 800ma per output or AC then you'll need a booster board or Relays.

Total cost could be as low as about $40 depending on your skills and resourcefullness of aquiring parts. Me, I already had a bunch of ethernet enabled Arduinos so it was just a matter of making up the board.

You can generally buy An arduino for less than $10 from an auction site and the Ethernet shield is about the same, bang it together with this board (~$20 to make) and you have a pseudo LedWiz!

Please Note: I'm not trying to steal anything away from the Ledwiz, nor would i claim this is better than a genuine ledwiz - It's just another way of doing things. If you're on a tight budget and have some PCB making skills then it's likely this might be useful to you - If not, then you might be better sticking with the genuine thing. However, I can probably supply CNC machined PCBs at a fairly low cost.

post-2911-0-05865400-1394425246_thumb.jpg

Quick clip of it in action on SS....

The board is in sprint layout format (free viewer available)

For the Arduino code you will need the shiftPWM library as well.

ledwiz_Artnet_ShiftPWM_1_2.zip

3 answers to this question

Archived