PacLED64 constant current question

Hi all,

I've been lurking around these forums picking up knowledge in preparation for my first cab build which I have just started.

I have a question about the PacLED64 and it's constant current feature.

My cabinet buttons have 12V LEDs

Given the PacLED64 can work with a power supply of  5 - 12 volts, I figured I would need to use a 12V supply to drive my button leds.

and thanks to the 20mA constant current, led resistors are not required.

now what if I use some more LEDs somewhere else, but these ones are not 12V leds, but regular 3V ones, do I need a resistor to protect these LEDs from the 12V supply, or because the PacLED64 supplies a constant current can I 'ignore' the fact that the supply voltage is 12V ?

I understand when using high power devices, one needs to use a device like a mini led amplifier to 'boost' the current, but in this scenario I am using regular 20mA leds

thanks,
Dave

• 2 weeks later...

hi, unfortunately I don't know the pacled64 very well. I've looked at the description and the design. It seems as if you can only use one voltage source, i.e. the controller is probably designed to operate LEDs with no different voltages or series resistors. In reality, however, you only need a low operating voltage for LEDs (depending on the type, usually only 3v) and then the current is limited, which is either solved by a resistor or by a circuit with a chip, as in this case. In your case or for your cabinet, I would recommend only using LEDs without a series resistor. Alternatively, you could also look at a different controller. e.g. the pinscape, with which you are not restricted in terms of supply voltages and can theoretically operate each output with a different voltage.