Pin2Dmd Editor

lucky1

10 hours ago, toibs said:

Note you are using win10 - did you do anything specific to get the window looking complete at all under Win10? Steve has tried best he can, however my editing window opens too small for the text contained, meaning that i have to then resize it, but then it screws up the content text... 

The only thing I can think of that can screw op the content text is when you have changed the size of the text displayed by Windows via Display Settings. This can have an influence on how applications display text... I have the default value of 100%. I did change is to see if it had any impact but for me it does not. But this also has to do with the desktop resolution etc so maybe if you have changed the default value it could be the reason.

6 hours ago, lucky1 said:

Use the real pinball export format instead and put the files into altcolour. There is some work to be done on the firmware side.

What about it not working on a real machine? I get to the scene that I replaced and it just crashes the entire system and I need to press the reset button. Perhaps I am missing a step or something, did not really see instructions for how to use the colorized code on a real machine. Do I just copy the exported fsq and pal to the sd card named pin2dmd?

5 hours ago, senseless said:

The only thing I can think of that can screw op the content text is when you have changed the size of the text displayed by Windows via Display Settings. This can have an influence on how applications display text... I have the default value of 100%. I did change is to see if it had any impact but for me it does not. But this also has to do with the desktop resolution etc so maybe if you have changed the default value it could be the reason.

Hiya,

Yup - Can confirm - Works perfectly on Win7, and only has an issue on Win10 - My win10 Machine is zoomed 200% - however even if i remove the Zoom then the issues still remain.

My Desktop is the same-ish high resolution - Will be interesting to see if i get the same issues on the weekend - Will advise :)

Thanks for everyone's support... :) Paul

• Content Provider
Oh really? I will hold off colorizing anything else till it is done then.

No that's​ not true. The only thing that is not supported with the current version is color masking sequences.

Normal scenes ( replace or color masking ) are supported.

The only problem is that the export format is not compatible. This was a misunderstanding between Lucky and me.
I will add a configuration switch, to also support the older export format suitable for the current firmware.

As soon as the firmware gets updated you can re-export with the new format and then also use color masking sequence.

• Content Provider

so, if I have the drawing mode in "replace" I cant pick a key frame (all hashes are greyed out)

Capture.thumb.JPG.d8ee78128240910a1935a10475044b80.JPG

Is this going to screw up playback ? I havent exported to my pin for testing since using the new editor, but planed to give it a test run tonight. I hope I didnt waste a ton of hours will all this sprite work.

• Content Provider

As I said, the actual export can't be used with the latest firmware, but this doesn't mean time is wasted.

As soon as the firmware is ready you simply re-export.

Keyframes are always defined based on recordings not scenes. This is why hashes grayed out when showing a scene

50 minutes ago, steve45 said:

No that's not true. The only thing that is not supported with the current version is color masking sequences.

Normal scenes ( replace or color masking ) are supported.

The only problem is that the export format is not compatible. This was a misunderstanding between Lucky and me.
I will add a configuration switch, to also support the older export format suitable for the current firmware.

As soon as the firmware gets updated you can re-export with the new format and then also use color masking sequence.

So out of curiosity the new export format, is it better than the old in any way? Sounds like it just supports the color masking sequence and has things in a newer format. Like I said just curious.

• Content Provider
2 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

So out of curiosity the new export format, is it better than the old in any way? Sounds like it just supports the color masking sequence and has things in a newer format. Like I said just curious.

The newer format has more information available that are used in color masking sequences: one dynamic mask per frame (optional), and one hash per frame. But the actual firmware expects the old format with no negotiating which lead to crashes if there is any scene included in the export. For better understanding what color masking sequence is and why it is better than replacement or color masking alone refer to chapter 3 of the tutorial video.

30 minutes ago, steve45 said:

new version with compatibility switch is available at bintray. so please retry export to pin2dmd devices.

Maybe I am missing something but still crashing here on a WPC. Perhaps I did something wrong. I did check the option to export to the old format. I do not have time to mess with it right now so hopefully someone else messes around and has some luck. Is there any sort of logging that I can get at in order to see why it is crashing?

Oh I also noticed that the select tool appears to have been replaced with the circle draw tool.

• Content Provider
2 minutes ago, Syco54645 said:

Maybe I am missing something but still crashing here on a WPC. Perhaps I did something wrong. I did check the option to export to the old format. I do not have time to mess with it right now so hopefully someone else messes around and has some luck. Is there any sort of logging that I can get at in order to see why it is crashing?

Can you check the fsq file size, should be smaller now in comparison to the new format. Logging on the device is not supported, we need to investigate. By the way to test with the device, you don't need to connect to a real pin. You can also test by connection the device to the host computer that is running the edit and then playback a recording.

Display should behave like in the real pinball machine, meaning is a keyframe matches while playback the appropriate action should happen (palette switch, playback of scene ...)

That said a final test on the real machine is finally still necessary, to check on the timing. 

2 minutes ago, steve45 said:

Can you check the fsq file size, should be smaller now in comparison to the new format. Logging on the device is not supported, we need to investigate. By the way to test with the device, you don't need to connect to a real pin. You can also test by connection the device to the host computer that is running the edit and then playback a recording.

Display should behave like in the real pinball machine, meaning is a keyframe matches while playback the appropriate action should happen (palette switch, playback of scene ...)

That said a final test on the real machine is finally still necessary, to check on the timing. 

The old format file is 1kb smaller. Next time I have a chance to try it I will run the recording and see if my swap happens. Will this happen in the preview window or only if doing a live preview on the device?

• Content Provider
1 minute ago, Syco54645 said:

The old format file is 1kb smaller. Next time I have a chance to try it I will run the recording and see if my swap happens. Will this happen in the preview window or only if doing a live preview on the device?

only on the device, the editor does not emulate runtime behavior of the device firmware

Tested the new version with compatibility switch and had some mixed results.

The good thing is that scenes now generate an image on the pin2dmd but there is something not going right. When playing it on the pin2dmd the created scene is now placed behind the original scene which does not get replaced. Also the quality is different and skrewed up. I tried with several new projects and a single scene and all did the same. In 1 version I also included two palette switches of which only one worked.

I also was able to get the display to crash. This was when I used a project I created for the earlier tests but this is maybe due to the different versions used. I was not able to get a crash with a newly created project and scene.

Will do some more testing tomorrow.

So I have been testing this evening and sort of have it working. When I jump to the frame where the swap happens (I am not playing anything) then the animation plays on the DMD and is various shades of blue (keeping in mind I am not playing anything just sitting on the start frame).  I have copied the pal and fsb files to my sd card after renaming them to PIN2DMD.<EXT> so I am not sure what is going wrong. I am also not sure if the video should just start playing (but I would think not).

• Content Provider

Again another update. The latest fix for backwards compatibility was not exactly correct, because masks were still exported. so please update once more to get it work. 

1 hour ago, steve45 said:

Again another update. The latest fix for backwards compatibility was not exactly correct, because masks were still exported. so please update once more to get it work. 

Thanks so much for the speedy updates. Will try this one shortly. I noticed yesterday that the select tool was missing, has this been brought back? I will not have time to test for a few hours unfortunately.

OK so I tested the new version and exported the files. Tossed them onto my sdcard and still the scene switches to blue when it is encountered. I triple checked to make sure I was running the newest version of the editor and was using the correct export. Again not sure if I am doing something wrong or something else is messed up.

• Content Provider
5 hours ago, senseless said:

Thanks for the update. Clear improvement! Scene plays and replaces the original scene. Only issue I have is that the colors are off.  I created a video to demonstrate how it looks. I'm using freezy/dmd-extensions for testing to run a Virtual DMD on my development pc.

Link for the video :https://mega.nz/#!cnhkgSqY!pg63H0Qr2Bxmfdm9lK3sYWmUfZsZArX5WXZ24R8rvFM

Just let me recap if I understand this correctly: you referring to the yellow background color at the end of the scene? looks like switching back to the default palette is done to early? 

• Content Provider
15 hours ago, Syco54645 said:

So I have been testing this evening and sort of have it working. When I jump to the frame where the swap happens (I am not playing anything) then the animation plays on the DMD and is various shades of blue (keeping in mind I am not playing anything just sitting on the start frame).  I have copied the pal and fsb files to my sd card after renaming them to PIN2DMD.<EXT> so I am not sure what is going wrong. I am also not sure if the video should just start playing (but I would think not).

Sounds like the device is switching to the wrong palette? Maybe try to redefine the keyframe making sure that to correct palette is selected, when pressing add keyframe / add scene. If this doesn't help I need to look at the project / export files