Addressable Rgb's

randr

• Content Provider

Hi folks

I have a few general requests regarding requests for help with your config files:

• Most problems with config xml files are caused by a bad file structure resp. So before calling for help, please make sure your file contains valid XML.
    To check this open your xml file in Firefox, Chrome or even Internet Explorer. All those browsers are able to show properly structured xml in a nicely formatted fashion and even allow to expand and collapse parts of the file. If there are structural problems present, the browsers will not show the nicely formated structure and a error message (more or less helpful) is displayed.
    Use a tool which knows about XML to edit your files (plain text editors usually dont know xml by heart). There are quite a few XML editors available on the internet (I'm using Microsofts Visual Studio, but that is a full development IDE). These editors will help you to produce valid xml structures and typically they will also produce nicely formated files (which makes them much easier to read).
  • Try to reduce the number of potential problems.
    E.g. if you try to extend your cabinet config for ledstrips and a Teensy controller get rid of everything you dont need to get that new stuff running (remove all ledwiz configs, all ledwizequivalent toys whiche are not related to the teens controller and so on) or start a new config file from scratch. This will make it much easier to detected the cause of a config problem. Once you have your new toys working or fixed the problem you can put all the other stuff back in place.
  • :RTFM:
    RTFM!

I know, reading manuals is maybe not the most interesting thing to do, but it often helps!
  • If you still have trouble with your config files, please upload them to dropbox, Google drive or any other service you like and post the links here! Dont post lengthy XML structures to the formus directly.
    It is much easier to just download a file and open it in a suitable xml editor instead of scrolling through long xml structures which are in many cases no even formated nicely.

Thanks and all the best

Tom / Swisslizard

• Content Provider

@Vampirlatino2:

Your xml is valid in terms of basic xml requirements. Therefore I was able to open your xml structure in a webbrowser for checking.

I have only checked the parts about the ledstrip controller and didnt care about all the other stuff your are using for ledwiz configs (btw, you could likely get rid of them since Ledwiz units are auto detected).

• You have 2 OutputControllers sections in your file. Put the content of both into 1 OutputControllers section.
  • At first sight (dint load the file into DOF since my hardware is defferent anyway), the setup for the LedwizEquivalent 30 and the LedStrip toys seems to be OK.
  • Your second OutputControllers section contains a WS2811StripController configuration. If you are using a Teensy you should probably get rid of this config (unless you are using a WS2811StripController at the same time).

@Vampirlation2 & @Karlson18:

The following message from the log is not as bad as it seems:

2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	Loading LedControl file C:\DIRECTOUTPUT\config\directoutputconfig30.ini
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	Warning: Cant parse the part L0- of the ledcontrol table config setting E105 Green AL60 AW19 L0-
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Could not parse setting E105 Green AL60 AW19 L0- in column data E104 Red AL0 AW19 L0/E111 Red AL0 AW19 L2/E120 Red AL0 AW19 L3/E121 White AL0 AW19 L4/E131 White AL0 AW19 L5/E104 Green AL20 AW19 L0/E107 Green AL20 AW19 L1/E112 Red AL20 AW19 L2/E119 Red AL20 AW19 L3/E122 White AL20 AW19 L4/E132 White AL20 AW19 L5/E103 Red AL40 AW19 L0/E113 Red AL40 AW19 L1/E118 Red AL40 AW19 L2/E105 Green AL60 AW19 L0-/E114 Red AL60 AW19 L2/E117 Red AL60 AW19 L3/E123 White AL60 AW19 L4/E133 White AL60 AW19 L5/E105 Red AL80 AW19 L0/E106 Red AL80 AW19 L1/E115 Red AL80 AW19 L2/E116 Red AL80 AW19 L3/E124 White AL80 AW19 L4/E134 White AL80 AW19 L5.
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Thread: 
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Message: Exception --> Cant parse the part L0- of the ledcontrol table config setting E105 Green AL60 AW19 L0-
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Stacktrace:    at DirectOutput.LedControl.Loader.TableConfigSetting.ParseSettingData(String SettingData)
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Stacktrace:    at DirectOutput.LedControl.Loader.TableConfigSetting..ctor(String SettingData)
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Stacktrace:    at DirectOutput.LedControl.Loader.TableConfigColumn.ParseColumnData(String ColumnData, Boolean ThrowExceptions)
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	EXCEPTION: Targetsite: Void ParseSettingData(System.String)
2015.12.20 15:54:04.726	Warning: Previous exceptions occured in the line abracadabra,E104 Red AL0 AW19 L0/E111 Red AL0 AW19 L2/E120 Red AL0 AW19 L3/E121 White AL0 AW19 L4/E131 White AL0 AW19 L5/E104 Green AL20 AW19 L0/E107 Green AL20 AW19 L1/E112 Red AL20 AW19 L2/E119 Red AL20 AW19 L3/E122 White AL20 AW19 L4/E132 White AL20 AW19 L5/E103 Red AL40 AW19 L0/E113 Red AL40 AW19 L1/E118 Red AL40 AW19 L2/E105 Green AL60 AW19 L0-/E114 Red AL60 AW19 L2/E117 Red AL60 AW19 L3/E123 White AL60 AW19 L4/E133 White AL60 AW19 L5/E105 Red AL80 AW19 L0/E106 Red AL80 AW19 L1/E115 Red AL80 AW19 L2/E116 Red AL80 AW19 L3/E124 White AL80 AW19 L4/E134 White AL80 AW19 L5 of the ledcontrol file

As you can see the from the first line the problem occured while parsing the directoutputconfig30.ini.
In that file, there seems to be a setting with illegal content for table abracadabra (Wrning in last line). Since DOF cant parse that config setting, it will just ignore it for the abracadabra table, but will still process all other settings in the ini file.
No harm done, apart from some missing settings for the abracadabra table.

The best fix for this is to go to the config tool and to fix the setting there. After redownloading your ini files, even that setting should be OK.

@Vampirlation2 & @Karlson18:

Please check if your directoutputconfig30.ini really contains configs for ledstrips resp. matrix toys (thats kind of a family to which ledstrips belong).

Typically every config setting for a ledstrip must contain at least 1 parameter which starts with a A. Most common paras are AT (AreaTop), AL (AreaLeft), AW (Area Width) and AH(Area Height), but there is also a whole bunch of other area (A) parameters. Here is a full list: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/inifiles.html#inifiles_matrix

If there is no A-para present DOF will not recognize the setting as a valid led strip setting and nothing will happen on your ledstrips.

If you go back a few pages in this thread you can find a ini file with a lot a ledstrip settings (these settings are not yet in the config tool). It contains:

• PF Back settings in column 1-3
  • PF Right settings in columns 4-6
  • Flipper buttons settings in columns 7-9 (I use ledstrips to illuminate my flipper buttons)
  • PF Left in columns 10-12

Hi! Thanks for the post but no dice...

This is my new cabinet file:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Cabinet xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <Name>Soon</Name>

<OutputControllers>
    <TeensyStripController>
      <Name>TeensyStripController</Name>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip1>432</NumberOfLedsStrip1>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip2>0</NumberOfLedsStrip2>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip3>0</NumberOfLedsStrip3>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip4>0</NumberOfLedsStrip4>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip5>0</NumberOfLedsStrip5>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip6>0</NumberOfLedsStrip6>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip7>0</NumberOfLedsStrip7>
      <NumberOfLedsStrip8>0</NumberOfLedsStrip8>
      <ComPortName>COM3</ComPortName>
    </TeensyStripController>
  </OutputControllers>

<Toys>
	 <LedStrip>
		  <Name>PF Center</Name>
		  <Width>72</Width>
		  <Height>6</Height>
		  <LedStripArrangement>RightLeftAlternateBottomUp</LedStripArrangement>
		  <ColorOrder>GRB</ColorOrder>
		  <FirstLedNumber>1</FirstLedNumber>
		  <FadingCurveName>SwissLizardsLedCurve</FadingCurveName>
		  <OutputControllerName>TeensyStripController</OutputControllerName>
	</LedStrip>

<LedWizEquivalent>
		<Name>LedWizEquivalent 30</Name>
		<Outputs>
			<LedWizEquivalentOutput>
				<OutputName>PF Center</OutputName>
				<LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>1</LedWizEquivalentOutputNumber>
			</LedWizEquivalentOutput>
		</Outputs>		
	</LedWizEquivalent>				
	</Toys>

<AutoConfigEnabled>true</AutoConfigEnabled>

</Cabinet>

This is the config.ini files generated by configtool website: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxuyUVXUod47ZWZ0cjRWU0VnNlE/view?usp=sharing

The only thing that seems working is the ledwiz (I put seems because I only have one port with a led to test), and I think it is because is automatic like you said.

But the Teensy isn't working at all, not even a single led is on :(

From all the PF Back X X in the config tool, the only one that have tables configured is the PF Back Flashers MX, so I choose that one only and is configured as RGB starting at port 1 in the directoutputconfigini30

I read the WIP Readme, but configuring just the minimalist and simple thing there and still not working for me. Now, is problem with the Teensy programming or is DOF not recognizing it?

Still no writing of log file. Only when I run the test.exe file it generates a log file.

Don't know if this help, but this is what I did.

1) Fresh start of installation, meaning no previous dof configuration existed in the pc. It is a brand new pc, os, everything. Have VP and B2S running all good.

2) Started B2S and choose apply plugins

3) Downloaded latest R3 file and unblock the zipfile, then copy paste it to c:\DirectOutput

4) Created a plugins folder in tables folder and put inside a shortcut to c:\DirectOutput

5) Created a config folder inside c:\DirectOutput

6) Log in to config tool website and configre ledwiz and WS2xxxx ports as shown in here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxuyUVXUod47bU5wWUxNOXVUMGs/view?usp=sharing

7) put all the .ini files and tables.xml generated by configtool website inside the config folder

8) Installed the Teensy 3.2 and started arduino to program the files Ledstrips.ino and the .cpp and .h for octo

9) Tested the Teensy with basic test and saw the 432 leds change color.

10) When I check the program it state that memory is low, don't know if that is normal. No one have told me is ok.

11) Copy the cabinet.xml, generate a global.xml using the .exe for that and everything seems ok to start testing.

12) After completion, I run Medieval Madness.VPX and when I put 2 quarters in the only led i have in the ledwiz start to flash, so that part is ok. But no one single LED is on in the "matrix".

13) Try to find the directoutput.log but could NOT find one, wtf? So I created a file and see if it get populated. Nothing. So I start the test.exe and select the rom, table and file and after completion it generates a log file. Is this Normal?!!

This is what I did and were I'm at. Any help it's really appreciated.

• Content Provider

@Vampirlatino2:

How does your b2s.server know where to find DOF? Have you created the shortcut pointing to DOF? Double check your installation using the instruction on the following page: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/installation.html

Did you check if the b2s.server is able to call DOF. Check B2S.Server settings window --> Plugin Settings

If DOF installation is correct and B2S.Server is abloe to talk to DOF: Is a global config xml file in place for your DOF installation?

And now about the table configs:

As mentioned in my last post (did you read that?), please check the content of your ini file. Does it contain config data for ledftrips (previous post explains what to look for)? Did you try the ini file I have posted earlier (also mentioned in the previous post)?

@Vampirlatino2:

How does your b2s.server know where to find DOF? Have you created the shortcut pointing to DOF? Double check your installation using the instruction on the following page: http://pinball.weilenmann.net/docu/DirectOutputWIP/installation.html

Did you check if the b2s.server is able to call DOF. Check B2S.Server settings window --> Plugin Settings

If DOF installation is correct and B2S.Server is abloe to talk to DOF: Is a global config xml file in place for your DOF installation?

And now about the table configs:

As mentioned in my last post (did you read that?), please check the content of your ini file. Does it contain config data for ledftrips (previous post explains what to look for)? Did you try the ini file I have posted earlier (also mentioned in the previous post)?

I have B2S inside table folder.

I did create a plugin folder in c:\visual pinball\tables\

inside that plugin folder I created a shortcut to c:\directoutput

so in conclusion it is like this, c:\visual pinball\tables\plugin\ <directoutput shortcut>

as instructed by the manual.

I have checked the plugins checkmark in B2S, and then check if inside the global of B2S the 1 was inside. So I did a double check to see if it was applied.

as instructed by the manual.

I did read your post and follow the instructions, open up the ini and there is a bunch of information about the tables generated automatically by the configtool website.

I open the xxxx30.ini file

I downloaded your xxxx50.ini file you posted and put in config folder, but nothing. I even copy and rename it to xxx30.ini and nothing.

Thanks a lot for the help btw!! ;)

• Content Provider

OK, according to the screenshots DOF has been found and is active. Only did a quick check on your config files. They seem to be OK. So if I'm not mistaken your setup seems to be fine config wise.

To get one step further, please go again to the B2S.Settings window and open the plugins window. Double click the entry for DOF. This should open up some kind of frontend for DOF.

Check what the fields in that window say and let us know about it. Most important are the global config file and the cabinet config file.

In addtion you can also click the "Show cabinet configuration" button and check which output controllers and toys DOF knows for your cab. This window is sometime VERY slow (its just a dirty hack), so be patient.

Another thing to check is your hardware. Is the wiring of the ledstrip correct, did you connntect to the correct port pins of your Teensy?

I did the B2S steps that you mention. Didn't took screenshots because they were a lot of info... but let me take them and post them here.... attached images.

I think the hardware is ok because I can write to it the basic test sketch and the leds works. I follow the pin layout and solder them all 16 of both sides and the 3 5V, GND and SYNC with a screw header. Only using 5V and GRND to inject power via USB and that screw terminal.

I'll post a picture of the hardware. brb

post-2147-0-39884800-1450732950_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-05749500-1450732953_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-16691900-1450732955_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-50792000-1450732958_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-08915600-1450732962_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-38812700-1450732964_thumb.jpg

post-2147-0-39909000-1450732970_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

Randr is right, the Teensy is not listed, which means that it did not get configured.

I guess DOF does not find your global config and/or cabinet config.

Please post a screenshot of the first window of the DOF frontend. It contains information on the loaded files.

And, yes I saw that too, it isn't recognizing the teensy... but why?

And when I open the DOF front end screen it says no table config, no cabinet and no global config file found. Testing with VPX Medieval Madness.

As seen in the last picture of the post above.

one more pic, because only 10 at a time was the limit:

post-2147-0-64206900-1450735329_thumb.jpg

• Content Provider

The pic of the first window of the DOF frontend shows that DOF doesnt load a global config file. For that reason it cant load a cabinet config either.

Most likely the global config is in the wrong place. Put it into the config dir of dof.

The pic of the first window of the DOF frontend shows that DOF doesnt load a global config file. For that reason it cant load a cabinet config either.

Most likely the global config is in the wrong place. Put it into the config dir of dof.

Is there. :( oh wait ... you mean global config ....

Picture dof3.jpg

post-2147-0-45247100-1450736364_thumb.jpg