The Saddest Pinball Expo In The World

EDIT : NOT The Saddest Pinball Expo in the World ( Sorry i was wrong lol , website was inaccurate ).

To Cut a Long and Boring Story Short, check it out for yourself  - 14th to 16 November 2014 :  http://www.pinballexpo.com.au/

Stern pinball tables available to play at the show

Stern Pinball

Lord of the Rings
Sopranos
Spider-Man
Iron Man
Tron LE
Transformers Decepticons LE
Avengers LE
Metallica MOP LE
AC/DC BIB LE
AC/DC LTBR LE
Xmen Magneto LE
Xmen Wolverine LE

Apart from that, i don't even think a wizard of oz  pffff  :angry:

No Star Trek , No Metallica and No World Poker Tour = Me, Thanks but NO Thanks

PS. Not to mention The Walking Dead

Sorry mate but i disagree. The actual expo was quite good. Not sure if you went but i went on Saturday and they had 2 Woz's, a Star Trek, a Metallica and a Walking Dead. So the only one that I didn't see that you mentioned was WPT (unless it was in the tournament area). They also had great unique tables that I'd never seen before. I actually quite enjoyed the show. It had a good variety and the crowds weren't too bad (probably because their table listing didn't include all the tables they showed - as you eluded to).

My highlights weren't the Stern ones, even though I played a heap of them and they were great. There was a table called Hercules which was GINORMOUS. The ball was probably a cue ball and you could only just reach both flippers. There was a long 2 sided table that played like a foosball table which tilted away from you when you scored to help your opponent. WOZ was interesting and good to finally play and played a table game called Strikes and Spares which was different. Loved quite a few you mentioned plus other goodies like Scared Stiff, Medieval Madness, Indiana Jones, T2, Theatre of Magic and many others. Other unique ones included Black Hole (with the upside done thing) and Revenge From Mars 3D. The only one I really wanted to play but I didn't see there was Mustang. And I wanted to play Haunted House but both machines were turned off :(

... there was also quite a few tables that had swapped out the original dmds for coloured ones as well which was different.

I think the problem with the expo was that it wasn't promoted that well and unfortunately because they didn't list all of the tables properly and missed listing quite a few important ones (like the ones you mentioned) it would have turned people off. I understand why you (probably) didn't go because I did the same thing, looked at the list on the web and thought meh, but am now glad that I changed my mind.

Sorry mate but i disagree. The actual expo was quite good. Not sure if you went but i went on Saturday and they had 2 Woz's, a Star Trek, a Metallica and a Walking Dead. So the only one that I didn't see that you mentioned was WPT (unless it was in the tournament area). They also had great unique tables that I'd never seen before. I actually quite enjoyed the show. It had a good variety and the crowds weren't too bad (probably because their table listing didn't include all the tables they showed - as you eluded to).

My highlights weren't the Stern ones, even though I played a heap of them and they were great. There was a table called Hercules which was GINORMOUS. The ball was probably a cue ball and you could only just reach both flippers. There was a long 2 sided table that played like a foosball table which tilted away from you when you scored to help your opponent. WOZ was interesting and good to finally play and played a table game called Strikes and Spares which was different. Loved quite a few you mentioned plus other goodies like Scared Stiff, Medieval Madness, Indiana Jones, T2, Theatre of Magic and many others. Other unique ones included Black Hole (with the upside done thing) and Revenge From Mars 3D. The only one I really wanted to play but I didn't see there was Mustang. And I wanted to play Haunted House but both machines were turned off :(

Goddammit i knew i should have called to check, bugger

Thanks for Reviewing the Expo Mate, Ok will go next year no matter what the website says lol. Cheers

P.S : Now how the hell do i edit the title on this thread , hehehe

Yeah that was a bummer. From memory I think they said there would be about 80 tables but I read on Aussie Arcade that someone counted about 200 (there were a few doubles though).

Check out the photos and comments on Aussie Arcade (must be a member but its free :) there are heaps of good photos etc. The forum is called Pinball Expo 2014.

Just as a heads up, every year in October there is Pinfest at Caves Beach. It's a good venue, they have about 60 or so tables that owners have brought there for the festival. It may not necessarily have all those Sterns you mentioned but it's still fun and its about $10 for 4 hours with the profits going to various charity's (google Caves Beach Pinfest). AMD usually show a couple of their newer Stern machines and they did have Walking Dead too this year.  

Cheers mate.

Yeah, theres a couple of videos on youtube, so its just an automatic go for next year

And Yes, i live in Newcastle area, so Pinfest at Caves Beach i go to every year, then we go for a swim. Lol the guy trying to sell his virtual pincab was lagging like hell while i was smashing circus voltaire, he said its never done that before hahahaha

Cheers Mate

I see there was a Virtual Pinball presence at the show from the video above.  Do you have any idea whether there was much interest in it or comments from people who played them?

Would be interested to know what the public's perception of digital pinball is vs the real/mechanical games they had there.

Dozer.

I see there was a Virtual Pinball presence at the show from the video above.  Do you have any idea whether there was much interest in it or comments from people who played them?

Would be interested to know what the public's perception of digital pinball is vs the real/mechanical games they had there.

Dozer.

Sorry I missed it, but KOPTango went maybe he can let you know

I did attend last months smaller show Pinfest at Caves Beach, but there was only 1 virtual pinball there and not the best example, from what i can gather patrons were curious but not very interested.

Hey Dozer. I would be interested to hear how they went in the end and the comments they got as well. I can ask one of the sponsors and see what he says if you like?

At the expo I think there were 2 maybe 3 different suppliers of digital pins. The guy I got most of my parts from had 2 minis and a full size. I had a good chat with him. Unfortunately that was when it opened at 10am Saturday. He was hoping for some good interest but I don't know how he went in the end. He had vp on there and it was interesting to hear that he contacted Zen to see if he could show Pinball Fx 2 on it but they said no. From the limited time I was there (4 hrs) I did notice a few people having a go at the full size one but not much on the minis. But i wasn't paying much attention as lines were small and there was playing to be done :) They had overnight lock ins at the expo so it would be interesting what those harder core players thought as well as joe average.

I did notice that one of the pins had the newer version of playboy selected. Not sure if it was the adult version or not but some dodgy pinhead must have checked it out :-P

I think the publics perception of digital Pinball can vary greatly depending on the cab they see. For example the one at Caves Beach. As mentioned above it got interest but the builder even told me he cut corners and costs wherever he could. That machine had great sound but the pf was not great and it was laggy. It skimped on stuff like better pinball buttons, coin door etc so it didn't look that authentic and performance wasn't great.

The cabs at the expo were better quality and looked more authentic so should have been received better.

The cabs I've see on display so far have not had all the feedback bells and whistles that some of you guys have.

Dozer, got a reply from Infinity Amusements. They said

'Crowd at the expo LOVED it. A handful of comments about lag (some VP tables are worse than others) but people played it all weekend, and commented how it looked and felt like a real pinnie'.

They also had several sales too. :)

I reckon when you tell people about digital Pinball they think its just a computer game but its different when they actually see and play a cab.

Dozer, got a reply from Infinity Amusements. They said

'Crowd at the expo LOVED it. A handful of comments about lag (some VP tables are worse than others) but people played it all weekend, and commented how it looked and felt like a real pinnie'.

They also had several sales too. :)

I reckon when you tell people about digital Pinball they think its just a computer game but its different when they actually see and play a cab.

Heya, thanks for checking this out.

And yeah I agree, once people are standing at a cabinet playing it then depending on how good the implementation is they often forget that it's digital.

Cheers,

Dozer.

• Content Provider

I think it tricks you until you "adjust" to it. When I first played a cab a couple years ago- too flat, don't want one......

After starting out with a smaller cab (25 inch pf), and some decent games it felt good. I know it isn't real and I don't care- it's fun!

Archived