Rescaling a db2s backglass.

wrd1972

• Content Provider

Okay I now have a pair of 29" ultra-wide monitors in my backbox which gives me a very large footprint for backglass images. In fact, it's damn near the same size as most real pins.

Attached is a pic of what Wildman awesome looking db2s looks like on my cab, and as you can see, it's not scaled ideally. 

My question. What do I need to do to rescale an existing db2s to make it look as accurate as possible for my configuration.

Thanks guys 

20231231_172957.thumb.jpg.ce5d1cce4e794e9fbb8cca5e2d191fb6.jpg

Edited by wrd1972

Hi @wrd1972,

Looking good!

I actually bought something similar for my upcoming cab, but instead of 2 separate screens it is one huge double height from LG called DualUP ( LG 28MQ750 & LG 28MQ780). Can be found used on Ebay sometimes.

Anyway, I do not know what kind of rescaling you are looking for but I tried it on mine using the B2S ScreenResIdentifier (older version available separate) and also included in the B2S Server installer package (both here on VPU)

image.thumb.png.af787a420fdbf26f90eb86840a754c02.png

Left is the Backglass including grill full screen                                                                And to the right you have the same but the backglass is a little smaller and the "background" feature activated.

You can of course scale it the other way around, putting black borders left and right, or you can even add nice looking sourrounding borders. @Tikimaster & @Cliffy use it all the time for their one screen setup and I use it a lot two for my dual screen cab. (not using the new LG yet)

The background feature among others is described in the B2S Server Wiki: https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-backglass/wiki/Backgrounds

/Jarr3

Indeed the background feature really helps when you have to letterbox either way for better aspect ratios. In fact we are lucky lucky lucky that @GristleMcTough has been pumping out some amazing background to make teh letterboxing so much nicer. Here is his Monopoly background for example. He's made a slew of these the past month or so and absolutely Cliffy recommended :)

• Content Provider

Thanks guys.

Looking at the following, I simply want to stretch the speaker panel on Y-axis until the speakers are closer to round, and then make the Translite fit what's left above. That should darn near look very close to scale to the real thing.

image.png.e2bde5ca129d421215da83f776123796.png

I have looked in B2S creator and tried to do this, but could not quickly determine how to do it. I will take another look. If anyone would be willing to perform what I mentioned above and record it then send it to me, I would be very grateful.

I also want to do something similar for all of the Gottlieb wedgeheads. I want to edit the BG to show the actually wedgehead with the BG much closer to scale. There is an example of this for dimension over at VPF and it reall looks good with a monitor sertup like I have.

In that case you need to edit the tablename.res file and use trial and error until you hit it just right. It usually takes me a few times to get the circles to look like circles. Spongebob and Hurricane, Black Hole were sob's to get just right but I finally did. Just keep trying different x and y values till you nail it. 

If there isn't a wedgehead background out there already you can make one yourself fairly easy with any decent picture editor. Just make it a png so it has transparency in the middle

I think it is easier if you just put the grill into a separate picture, then you can scale it as a background + scale the dmd separately. 

I know it might be a little tricky, but I do not see any "easy" solution apart this one. Doable with the B2S ScreenResIdentifier

You rescale the pictures in Gimp, photoshop or similar. cause if understand correct you want to scale the grill differently from the backglass itself. And the backglass is one picture containing both in one...

• Content Provider

Okay making some progress. I am starting to figure out B2S backglass designer and I now have a very accurately scaled backglass and speaker panel:

image.png.5fba992ebc437b6e5182f6879bc8148d.png

The inserts are done so now I need to do the other stuff. So I am using wildmans image backglass image from his latest rev, and I could not be more happy with the quality of it. Not sure how he gets them so high res, but if they were not the quality that they are, I doubt I would go to this trouble. I'm starting to figure out some time-saving tricks too. Definitely some learning curve here.

Now, the not-so-good. I had a nearly finished file when all of a sudden it would not output to db2s, and it would not save either. Kept getting some unhandled exception BS. Man was I pissed, but it allowed me to do it again better the 2nd time with some stuff I learned along the way. Another issue I am seeing is that lighting snippets have a nasty habit of just vanishing into the abyss. That's aggravating as shit too. Is this just par for the course for the program? Other than those two issues, the program works remarkably well, and whoever made it did a very good job. BTW I am using v1.27 if it matters.

Might have a finished db2s tomorrow. Thanks again for the assistance along the way. :)

1 hour ago, wrd1972 said:

Now, the not-so-good. I had a nearly finished file when all of a sudden it would not output to db2s, and it would not save either. Kept getting some unhandled exception BS. Man was I pissed, but it allowed me to do it again better the 2nd time with some stuff I learned along the way. Another issue I am seeing is that lighting snippets have a nasty habit of just vanishing into the abyss. That's aggravating as shit too. Is this just par for the course for the program? Other than those two issues, the program works remarkably well, and whoever made it did a very good job. BTW I am using v1.27 if it matters.

This looks really great! Sorry to hear about the designer crashing. I have just released version 1.28.0.1 here on VPU and Dazz just handed over the ownership of B2S.Designer from Herweh, so I am able to put updates here now (since yesterday).

I have been working with @hauntfreaks & @Wildman to solve some issues they have had. And there will be some new features and bug fixes for B2S.Server coming soon as well.

If you get a crash like this again, please log an issue here https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-designer , so that we can fix these things finally. Please remember I am NO USER of the Desiger myself, so I need good explainations.

How did you do your change? I guess you had to split the picture in parts and then resize only the grill?

Edited by jarr3
Added link

• Content Provider

Its still one image. I simply rescaled the speaker panel and the translite within the image. Seems to be working, but I am still learning.

Do have another question?  I have seen some backglasses that stutter badly and I want to make sure I understand the causes of this. When is it too much in terms of adding illumination frames, or is it even an issue? Im using the snippets for the smaller things, but would it be better to use more snippets rather than frames for the larger effects? Does it even matter? Seems like wildmans backglasses don't suffer from stutter, so he is doing it right.

4 hours ago, wrd1972 said:

Do have another question?  I have seen some backglasses that stutter badly and I want to make sure I understand the causes of this. When is it too much in terms of adding illumination frames, or is it even an issue? Im using the snippets for the smaller things, but would it be better to use more snippets rather than frames for the larger effects? Does it even matter? Seems like wildmans backglasses don't suffer from stutter, so he is doing it right.

I guess only Wildman and Hauntfreaks can help here..

3 hours ago, wrd1972 said:

Lol, table is unplayable with the new backglass. Stutter is insane. Clearly I have gone overboard somewhere.

I will try a solution without changing the backglass. I'll be back

• Content Provider
Posted (edited)

Playing with it now and I am trying to use the "Backglass preview and test" feature, but when running it, I am getting:

image.png.a8678b8f313f903f5808cb6f1bf7175a.png

I can see where the db2s file is being generated and dropped into the tables folder, so that connection appears good. But I cant get past that error. Any chance the designer might not like my 64bit VPX?

Edited by wrd1972

• Content Provider

BTW I just tried to DL the 1.28.0.1. update, and the link is showing this:

image.png.2c9e65ba13b0b7f63c59477722d148bf.png

I dont see any reference to 1.28.0.1. as an option to DL. I went ahead and downloaded the 1.2 above and upon running it, it is showing rev 1.2.

Any chance you may not have the latest rev up?

7 minutes ago, wrd1972 said:

I dont see any reference to 1.28.0.1. as an option to DL. I went ahead and downloaded the 1.2 above and upon running it, it is showing rev 1.2.

Any chance you may not have the latest rev up?

You are right, it seems to be missing... added it again, waiting for approval. But you can get it from here as well:  https://github.com/vpinball/b2s-designer/releases

29 minutes ago, wrd1972 said:

Playing with it now and I am trying to use the "Backglass preview and test" feature, but when running it, I am getting:

image.png.a8678b8f313f903f5808cb6f1bf7175a.png

I can see where the db2s file is being generated and dropped into the tables folder, so that connection appears good. But I cant get past that error. Any chance the designer might not like my 64bit VPX?

The designer tries to use the B2S.Server to show the backglass...

On 1/3/2024 at 1:53 PM, Cliffy said:

Indeed the background feature really helps when you have to letterbox either way for better aspect ratios. In fact we are lucky lucky lucky that @GristleMcTough has been pumping out some amazing background to make teh letterboxing so much nicer. Here is his Monopoly background for example. He's made a slew of these the past month or so and absolutely Cliffy recommended :)

Wow. That was aweful nice. Thanks! It looks like this guy is going a step further than I did and actually getting into the nitty-gritty of B2S Designer to tidy up the aspect ratio stuff. I took the easy way out with the backgrounds.