[New VP10 Alert] Banzai Run (Williams 1988)

• Content Provider

Banzai Run (Williams 1988)

Welcome Race Fans to Banzai Run!

Since Visual Pinball was created, Banzai Run has been difficult to re-create due to the fact that is has one of the most unique designs in mechanical pinball with an upper playfield mechanism that replaces the backglass.

There have been some great solutions but none that serve all 3 platforms for cabinet, desktop and VR.

However, JPSalas (with the help of Aubrel) released a very innovative idea to have a "sliding" playfield to make up for some limitations of Visual Pinball point of view scripting.  

JP's modified table was used to build a prototype that had a normal backbox and backglass with the sliding playfield for VR thus having a level playing field for all 3 platforms in competitions, etc.

However, it did look quite odd in VR so RothbauerW took on the task of integrating a hybrid model that took some cues from the awesome VR Room that Sixtoe had previously built for Banzai Run.

After some heavy integration work, physics modeling, upscaling, tweaks, play balancing and a lot of testing, this version of Banzai Run will hopefully represent the best solution at this time given the Visual Pinball architecture.

Here are the commendations:

Based on JPSalas' v4.0 table.  Thank you JPSalas!  This included a playfield from EBIsLit and other coding from Aubrel.

THANK YOU to all previous authors on this table!

v1.00 
* TastyWasps - Project concept, Conversion to nFozzy/Roth physics with gameplay balance, Fleep Sounds, VR Room / Assets, pf mesh, various scripting / lighting
* RothbauerW - Conversion to full VR experience, physics tweaks, upper/lower playfield tweaks, roth stand-up targets, various other upgrades including integration
* Sixtoe - Geometry/physics tweaks and twerks.  Original amazing VR Room model. 
* Redbone - Playfield / Plastics graphical upgrades / upscales.
* Apophis - Super Sleuth
* Testing - Passion4Pins, PinStratsDan, StudlyGoorite, Robby King Pin, PrimeTime5k, DarthVito, Wylte, Smaug, bietkwiet

Thank you to the original Williams team for a truly unique pinball experience also!

Has anyone had any issues with physics when the game switches to the upper playfield? Almost like a magnet is pulling the ball down - I understand its a vertical playfield and so the ball falls quicker, but it is almost unplayable for me - unlike previous versions. No issues with the main game albeit I experienced lags with 10.8 where 10.7 plays flawlessly (aside from the BG play described)... 

9 hours ago, neil81992 said:

Has anyone had any issues with physics when the game switches to the upper playfield? Almost like a magnet is pulling the ball down - I understand its a vertical playfield and so the ball falls quicker, but it is almost unplayable for me - unlike previous versions. No issues with the main game albeit I experienced lags with 10.8 where 10.7 plays flawlessly (aside from the BG play described)... 

compare to a real one in play on youtube. how does it compare?

14 hours ago, Cliffy said:

compare to a real one in play on youtube. how does it compare?

Thanks Cliffy - just looked at the papapinball tutorial and can now see it's a faithful recreation! I'd gone off previous vpx iterations when I should have compared to the real thing via YT. Another winner from @TastyWasps !!

6 hours ago, neil81992 said:

Thanks Cliffy - just looked at the papapinball tutorial and can now see it's a faithful recreation! I'd gone off previous vpx iterations when I should have compared to the real thing via YT. Another winner from @TastyWasps !!

I owned a BR years ago and yes gravity is pretty accurate, Its a bouncy frenetic ball on the upper pf but CAN be beat!

This table is awesome! Great job! I am playing on a cab in 3d. When the ball hits the shoot to the backbox my playfield changes to the backbox. Is there a way to get this on the backbox instead of changing the

playfield?