[New VP10 Alert] Popeye Saves the Earth (Bally 1994)

• Content Provider

Popeye Saves the Earth (Bally 1994)

Welcome Aboard!

Popeye Saves the Earth was released by Bally in 1994.  The physical pinball machine is the last machine produced as part of the "SuperPin" line which incorporates a wide body design.

I noticed a post on a VPin Facebook group that mentioned the Popeye digital version could really use a remaster but people thought it might not get any attention.  I checked the current Visual Pinball offerings for Popeye and, indeed, the game looked beautiful but was in need of new physics / sounds / VR Room, etc. Game On!

The intention on this mod was the obvious upgrades to modern physics/sounds, etc. but I also wanted a bright, colorful and light-hearted digital version that captures the beautiful color scheme.

Additionally, there are some script options that can harness the black and white origins of early Popeye cartoons that can be turned on or off.  Sample images are below.  Brightness levels are also available via magna save buttons.

A big thank you to the previous authors listed on this file including mfuegemann (2014!), JPJ Team PP,  Psiomicron and anyone else that might have contributed to earlier versions of this title.  Please contact me if anyone was missed.

Also, a major thank you to the original Bally team who created this title back in the mid 90s.

The following improvements have been made to this version:

* nFozzy Physics, Fleep Sounds, TargetBouncer, VR Room, Corrected Geometry for Table Sizing, Lighting Tweaks, Dynamic Ball Shadows, Multi-Ball Cradle Physics, Script Organization, Graphic Improvements, Dimmer Level (LUT) Selector, Gameplay Balance - TastyWasps
* Playfield Element Upscales - MovieGuru
* VR Upscales & Assets - Hauntfreaks, DGrimmReaper & Psiomicron
* Incandescent Lighting Option - Hauntfreaks
* Testing - VPW Team

Now, go eat some spinach and kick the s**t out of Bluto!

Wasp Love your table, was one of my favorites back in VP9. I think I found an issue with the carousel and the ball getting stuck in there. The ball seems to get stuck in between the ball holder slots on the carousel. I have to nudge the table to get the ball to wiggle and release. I am on VpX 10.8 64 bit

image.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 6:43 PM, mrjcrane said:

Wasp Love your table, was one of my favorites back in VP9. I think I found an issue with the carousel and the ball getting stuck in there. The ball seems to get stuck in between the ball holder slots on the carousel. I have to nudge the table to get the ball to wiggle and release. I am on VpX 10.8 64 bit

image.png

I'm also having this problem on VPX 10.8.5 x64.  The table seems to have trouble loading the ball initially, then when I can launch it, it just get's stuck in the carousel.  After reloading the rom I get another ball and it too get's stuck in there.  After a while I can launch one and it gets trapped outside the carousel in the corner.  It's unplayable like this. Has anyone found a solution?

Edited by Layby2k

• 1 month later...