One Stop Shop

Hi guys, new to the site and just starting in earnest to get my table up and running. I have most of the hardware (minus the computer) collected and want to really get it going! Is there a single source instruction set on how to set up the files (ie renaming files, where to put what, what runs with what, etc)? While not completely computer program literate, I understand enough to follow directions. Thanks!

James

you're gonna' build a cab? good luck if you don't know that much on vp or what to install

I think it would be a daunting task to teach someone everything esp if they never even played the desktop versions!

there are a few install packs available for vp

but I am lost when it comes to the cab stuff as I only play on desktop

good luck with your build though and if anyone can be of help it's Itchigo

he has built his cab and learned vp in a record amount of time!

most of all have fun and keep us informed of your progress

I'm putting the cabinet together right now. I've already built a MAME cabinet but left the pinball out of it because I didn't like the platform...plus I have real pinball machines. Now I have a donor cabinet and have the main playfield display but need the backglass and DMD displays. I have a computer but may need to mess with it as I got it from a friend and he took out the hard drive. It had a fairly impressive cpu for the time (it's several years old) because it was built as a gaming machine for his son. I wanted to start messing with the set up and configuration on my laptop so I can get things figured out so when I finish the cabinet, I can put it strait to work! I'm also trying to learn about all the nuances, virtual pinball, future pinball, direct B2, Hyperpin, etc. and would like to see how the all play together (or not). That's why I was hoping for possibly a tutorial on how it all goes together and how to integrate them. Any chance one exists? Thanks!

Faralos,

Yeah, the cabinet stuff is the easy part. Like I said I've already built a MAME cabinet as well as an MP3 jukebox and I do all my own maintenance on my pinball machines (currently at 12 machines). I'm out of room so I thought I would make a pinball machine that runs a bunch of tables. I have a degree in Electronic Engineering which helps me on the electronic parts of the build but I haven't done a whole lot on the computer side of things (other than setting MAME up and that's been a while). Also I got the degree back in 1981 and have not used it so a lot of the knowledge is gone except the basics.

Well, lets see, in no particular order...See Saw, Zenon, Playboy (1978), Mata Hari, Capt Fantastic, Pool Sharks, Elvira and the Party Monsters, Red Baron, Strato-Flight, Star Trek, Star Trek 25th Anniversary, and Star Trek Next Generation.....oh, and a full size Skee Ball machine. You may notice the majority are Bally machines. I kind of ended up specializing in those, particularly the mid 70's-early 80's solid state. I just recently added the EM machines. If I could figure out how to attach a picture I would show you the game room! Most, with the exception of the newer ones, were basket cases that I bought cheap and fixed up. Problem is there are more machines that I would like to get but the prices have gone through the roof, not to mention I'm out of room! Hence the desire to build the Virtual Pinball Machine! I can have all kinds of machine and only take the space of one. I'm planning on using some actual pop bumpers, flipper and slingshot relays/mechanisms in the box to give you the tactile feedback of them operating on the playfields. We'll see how that goes...

• Content Provider

I'm working on stratoflight! Any chance of some glass off pics with plastics on? And a full backglass? Please?

Oh, and I use PinballX instead of Hyperpin. It does everything Hyperpin does, and is more forgiving on errors.

PinballX.net

• Content Provider

Nice collection jachappy!

As far as what your thread was originally asking for there's Tweegster's guide http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=9674.  It's a bit dated, but most of it still applies.  Just ignore the parts about Ultra VP and install the B2S daemon instead.

I don't think there is an ultimate guide on setting everything up, but there really should be.  It would be nice if someone setup a wiki so that everyone could contribute to it, since the technology is constantly changing.

Thanks DeeGor, pinball has been a passion for many years now! That is why I finally decided to get going on the virtual pinball. I know there are many tables that I will never own and this is a way I can!

Thanks for the link, it looks like a great place to start!

• Content Provider

Thank you jachappy! I'll pm you an email address. This is what the author said he could use:

Two things you can ask him:

1.  When you get both gates open and exit one of them, do they both close when you re-plunge the ball, or only the one you came out of?

2. Can he get a photo of the backglass with TILT showing (I have it in roughly the right place now, but no the right text or angle I'm sure).

Rest of the photos are what you would normally want, just as vertical (ie. camera directoly over machine looking as straight down) as possible and with the playfield glass removed.

Thank you!!

Archived