What do you want to see on the "Home" page of VPUniverse?

• Administrators

The old front page was taking up quite a bit of resources and was very large to download.  This was putting a strain on the server causing most of the slowdowns.  It was pulling a lot of information as well as many large images. 

What are some things that you would like to see on the front page?

Understand the need for a minimal front page.  It would be great to see just one side scrolling list of all new and updated files / all categories but with tables and backglasses staying  first in the list throughout the day

I always checked it for new tables, new backglasses and recent comments. The images should be resized for thumbnails automatically. If that's a problem I think you could kill the images and just list the new things by title.

Could you have had a slow query? Some of the lists seem like they should be cached, like new downloads. Having memcached in the back end could help for that unless your already using it.

I bet the site is super massive at this point. I guess you could set up something static that linked to those new things on separate pages?

Ha. I just saw the addition of the new section on the right side. Could you reduce the that section to be just the week or just the month, but have the list be more tables? Perhaps ten? That would be one query instead of four.

Also I noticed that your RSS feeds have monster size images. Do you have any options for that? The web crawlers will hurt you when they index it.

I'm just throwing stuff out there in case it's helpful.

Mainly updates of tables and b2s files.. maybe with a thumbnail image of the most recent and the rest is just text links..

Top downloads could stay too without thumbnails.

Oh and the "coming soon" banners to whatever is being featured is always a treat to see when first getting on the site.

Edited by HoJo215

I liked it the way it was before also. If you could at least have the newest tables, resources  for the last 30 days  or  a clickable link to it?  I like the idea from Tikimaster above about not having the  pictures. A text of what it is would be fine. That would be great!

Edited by at2ecw

I liked looking at the front page for the latest tables and backglass.  Also, since it is a recent major update, info about the latest updates to the 64-bit upgrade.  Thank you for the site!  I know this is a lot of work, and I really appreciate all your effort!

(ENG)

First I want to thank you for the work of maintaining the site, it is a complex and arduous job. Thank you.

My suggestion is: how about something similar to VPForums?

On the main page of VPForums we find:
A list (without graphics) with the last 10 files uploaded "Latest Uploads", a kind of disaster drawer where "EVERYTHING" recently uploaded enters.
Another list with the 10 last updates (without graphics) "Latest Updates".
*NOTE: the content can be repeated and the same thing appear in both lists.

On the right is a column with a list of the latest posts on VP and another list for FP. And below a list with other discussions of various topics.

At a glance you already have all the recent relevant information on the site.

To save work and data transfer from the server it is advisable to use a list with the topic names, visually perhaps use a scaled thumbnail of the latest and/or most popular topic, recent uploads and updates. And maybe put that thumbnail in an attached dropdown (although the deploy button is rarely given, since the majority choose to give the link to the file directly and see what it is there).

Greetings to all.

EpeC.

---

(SPA)

Primero quiero agradecerte el trabajo de mantener el sitio, es un trabajo complejo y arduo. Gracias.

Mi sugerencia es: ¿qué tal algo parecido a VPForums?

En la pagina principal de VPForums encontramos:
Una lista (sin gráficos) con los 10 últimos archivos subidos "Latest Uploads", una especie de cajón desastre donde entra "TODO" lo recién subido.
Otra lista con las 10 últimas actualizaciones (sin gráficos) "Latest Updates".
*NOTA: puede repetirse el contenido y aparecer una misma cosa en los dos listados.

A la derecha una columna con una lista con los últimos posts en VP y otra lista para FP. Y más abajo un listado con otras discusiones de temas varios.

De un vistazo ya tienes toda la información relevante reciente en el sitio.

Para ahorrar trabajo y transferencia de datos del servidor lo recomendable es usar un listado con el nombre de los tópicos, visualmente usar quizás una miniatura escalada del último y/o del más popular de los temas, subidas y actualizaciones recientes. Y tal vez poner esa miniatura en un desplegable adjunto (aunque pocas veces se da al botón desplegar, ya que se opta mayoritariamente por dar directamente al link de enlace al archivo y allí ver de qué se trata).

Saludos a Todos.

EpeC.

I agree with some of you... the main page is very nice but I think it's excessively loaded with visual content... Perhaps a less loaded and well-structured page (something similar to the main downloads page) would be good... I also like the current one but I understand that it actually takes time to load due to so many images and videos..