Pup-Pack Compression Settings and formats mp4 or mov

goodtwist

Recently I was compressing a couple Pup-packs at different sizes to play on my lower-end hardware.  I have an old Dell 7050 and a 1050ti with 16 gigs of ram. My playfield is at 4k. It does alright. However, the recent "Dirty Harry" pack (hawkeyez88) works a lot better on my system at 720 rather than the 1080 it comes in. It's squeezed in the backglass anyway. The 720 looks good to me.  The same is true for "The Dude." Both stuttered a lot before. - All great packs, by the way.

I have been looking around at different packs to see what works well and what doesn't and I noticed that ScottyWic's Stranger Things Stranger edition play back fine at 1080 even with larger files. I guess it could be the the table taking up too much resources.

I did notice that the videos were MOV at 25fps instead of the more universal MP4 at 30 and no Back Glass image.  The fps at 25% less frames might be some of it, but there has to be more to it. I crushed a 1080 video of Dirty Harry that still played less good than the default Stranger Things. I attached the codec information for "STSE" and "Dirty Harry." Could it be the backglass transparency?

Is there any compression guide for Pup-packs anywhere? I'm really curious at this point if anyone has some insight of what plays best. Otherwise I guess I'll keep messing around with it.

STSE-PupVids.jpg

DirtyHarryPupVids.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone,  I'd like to touch on this topic regarding Stranger Things SE PUP Pack and the use of MOV files. I'm trying to reduce the resolution from 1080p to 720p as I'm using lower end hardware (Lenovo M920q + GTX 1050).

I've done some searching including these forums and landed on using XMedia Recode on account it does batch jobs of multiple files at once.  In XMedia I indicate the output format to remain as  .mov and change the resolution from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 - I encode and the file is outputted.  I playback and the image is stuttering and jumping back and forth between frames.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Can anyone point me to a good method of reducing the resolution of .mov files so I can play STSE on VPX nice and smooth?