Bashing My Head Against The Wall

Gilrock

My first post here but you may have seen my profile name in other forums.

I was just finishing up wiring most of my toys to Zeb's boards so I moved onto solving a few unresolved issues.  One was the static backglass in Hyperpin had been displaying over top of my B2S backglass so I had turned it off.  So I go in and set it back to true and the darn thing was magically working now.  So I moved to the next issue...my LedWiz outputs being left on when I exit Hyperpin.  I followed previous advice to use the FPLaunch WIP 10 so I got that installed.  I saw the loading table splash screen and the Flyers and Instruction Card were working fine.  I hit my button to exit the table and it's displaying the popup menu you usually see when exiting Visual Pinball by itself.  So I do a lot of searching on the forums and it sounded like folks were saying its an issue with the keys not being mapped right.  I was using ESC and I didn't have Pause mapped to anything.  I launch Winipac to change the key mappings and the darn program was displaying off-screen.  The only way I finally got to it was changing the compatibility settings to force it to startup as 640x480.  So then I mapped the exit button to e and the button I had mapped to g for genre I changed to p.  Programmed the iPac and then exited and had to manually switch my resolution back.

So at this point I went from a system that had been working fairly well to all hell breaking loose and all I had touched in between was those iPac settings and screen resolution.  I lauch Hyperpin and now my static backglass image has severe flickering issues.  I remember having this issue months ago and it had gone away on its own.  I can deal with that one but then I select a table and Visual Pinball is crashing. WTF...  I try switching my keys back and that doesn't help.  I launch VP by its and it's still crashing when I load a table.  I can't find anything to fix it so I rename my VP directory and try to redownload everything from scratch because I notice the last version number ends in 15 and I had been using 14.  Following the VP installations instructions is its own nightmare...it had been months since I had done it and I forgot everything.  Then another issue is everybody that does a mod or a new feature wants to stick it in the Tables directory so if you do a new install its hard to figure out which files to copy over from your old directory.  I thought I had everything reinstalled and configured but now I'm getting windows displayed sideways on my second monitor when I'm launching tables and the tables looked blurry.  I remember that issue from months ago also but not sure how I fixed it to display the table resolution properly.  But at least I did get the table to play in VP directly.  I try Hyperpin and when I launch a table VP crashes.

Ok now I'm tired and banging my head against the wall and I gotta stop to head to work and have these problems weighing on my conscious all day.  I'm a C++ guru doing embedded programming for 25 years and I'm really good with Photoshop so I've been wanting to move into the realm of helping do something to create new content be it backglasses or tables or to help with coding.  But I'm spending all my time with setup and configuration issues.  Remember in the 80's and 90's when all the MS issues spawned the phrase "DLL hell" ....well I'm in "Pinball emulation hell".  Ever have one of these days? LOL

Gil

• Content Provider

Damn, that sucks.

It's amazing that any of this stuff works at all. It's nothing but a bunch of hacks to really old software.

That kind of thig happened to me awhile back, and I just ended up imaging mya home, and I completely started over. OS and all.

Hopefully it doesn't come down to that for you, but sometimes it's better to start with a clean slate than bug hunt forever.

Good luck!

Yeah I was wondering if I could download all the different files listed in the installation instructions and create my own installer script to sequence everything that needs to be done.  I'm realizing I need to keep all the extra stuff that gets copied into the tables directory somewhere else so I can easily move a copy over if I need to reinstall.  I write software for a few products used in astronomy for a local astronomy shop and I use the Inno Setup tool to create my installers.  I could easily configure a script to sequence a series of install steps.

Gil

• Content Provider

I tried making my own installer not too long ago, but I got stumped on how to do the registry entries properly.  The software I was using seemed pretty limited.  Either that or my knowledge of how it worked was.  Probably both. ;)

Well it took several hours for me to track this down but I got it back to about where I started.  Everything is working except when I exit a table I get the Visual Pinball exit dialog with the 3 buttons.  So before I mess it up again how are the keys supposed to be set because I have key mappings in the iPac device, key mappings in Visual Pinball, and key mappings in Hyperpin.

Oh and what caused all those problems you're wondering?  Apparently running WinIpac can screw up something with the PinDMD2 because they both use libusb.  I had tracked it down to the PinDMD2 because when I restored the original VPinMame.dll the crashes of VP quit happening.  I stumbled on a thread on the Hyperspin site back around Feb 2013 timeframe where someone else ran into the same nightmare.

Thanks for the input trying to help me.

Gil

Damn, that sucks.

It's amazing that any of this stuff works at all. It's nothing but a bunch of hacks to really old software.

\

This. An ounce of work on even just patching up the installer is worth several pounds of installation support. That's just the installer part. Not even base game code. 

We have computers that make things easier for us. Why not let it help? 

I was wrong about where that old post was...I searched again and it's titled "pinDMD-2 development :)" over on vpforums.  Page 25 of the post starts going into the same issue I was just having.  They seemed to think plugging in the pinDMD2 to a USB 3.0 port was the problem.  I'm finding it a little different because I've got mine working in a USB 3.0 port right now and it will not work in any other port whether it be 2.0 or 3.0.  It seems like when you marry the device to a port there is no divorce...lol.  I wanted to move mine for cable management reasons and I'm stuck with where its at and tired of trying to fix it.

Gil

Archived