Sonic Pinball Mania

TerryRed

• Content Provider

So... what started as a "quick update" to Brendan Bailey's classic Sonic the Hedgehog table (from 2005) has turned into a complete overhaul / update of almost "everything".

Not only have I completely redrawn new art for the entire table in 4K, all new lighting, new inserts, fleep sounds, shadowmaps, etc...

...but I am adding lots and lots of new stuff to the point that it will be almost unrecognizable from the old table... and it has a new name.

This video below shows only one of many new cool things I've added (I HAD to have a real Sonic LOOP!). Can't wait to show you the rest of the table!

Remember what I did for Star Wars DSA (Epic Space Battles)? Get ready for the most EPIC Sonic pinball table ever created!

Sonic Pinball Mania - coming soon for Future Pinball - BAM!

• Content Provider

For the loop.... I first used a V turn model as seen here....

image.thumb.png.30ae048370d220966cba2c991ef8dfb9.png

....and combined that with a second one to create a Loop Ramp model....

image.thumb.png.e3af32bf50e3b9558138ff802ce37dde.png

Just had to do a bit of skewing and combining points...

Then I use that for the actual ramp model, but use an invisible texture so you don't see it. I place an invisible kicker near the entrance of the loop, and near the exit of the loop.

...and then needed to do some ripping / converting of a nice Loop ramp from Sonic Generations.... and modify it so it lines up nicely with the real ramp.

image.thumb.png.e7e80ccd368f80477528e590cf3a38ae.png

Took a bunch of testing / modifying... but it works.

• Content Provider

Chaos Emerald flashers!

Yet another teaser of one of the many neat things I'm adding to the table. I really like to make custom flashers that work with the theme if possible (like street lights in Silent Hill)... and I thought the 7 chaos emeralds would be perfect for this table!

I created gold ring stands for them, and have the 7 different chaos emerald colours used for the flashers.

I also added spot lights to the slings that will light up certain things at different event in the game.

• Content Provider

New Launch Tunnel and new character bonuses!

I always felt the plunger lane is typically very boring and a waste of space in most pins. I created a "launch tunnel" with a half-pipe model, combined with gold rings and sequenced lights, that combines bulbs and flashers (with hidden models) for "real" lighting that look sweet!

I also added a new Launch Bonus that cycles through different characters and rewards at the start of each ball.

At the end of the tunnel is the Goal Ring. When you hit that ring, the table will change from dark to fully lit (with a light sequence)... and it will also reward you with the new Launch Bonus that is active when you hit the ring.

• Content Provider

Sonic Characters!

You knew this was coming. Yes I'll have multiple animated characters on the playfield, and some will react to table events.

This includes Sonic, Knuckles, Shadow... and yes also Tails and Robotnik, but you'll see more on them in another teaser, as they are a bit different then the others. Robotnik is very cool!

• Content Provider

Dr Robotnik and his Eggmobile!

Now this is a COOL! I added an animated Dr Robotnik, but I also have him flying his Eggmobile. What's cool is that he will track your ball when it's in his view, and will also shine his spot light on it... making for stunning visuals when you have ray cast ball shadows enabled. He also animates while everything is in motion. It was a bit tricky to get this to work.. but I love how it turned out!

• Administrators

@TerryRed My good buddy/little brother from another mother is digging up his grave right about now to see and play this game.  He would be going insane with the images and videos you have posted so far.  He'd easily be your biggest fan for doing this game like this. I'm going to have to put it on my cab and play several games in his memory.

• Content Provider

Tails and the Tornado!

I knew I wanted to have Tails in the game somehow. There wasn't enough room left to fit him and his plane (the Tornado) on the playfield... so instead.... why not him do a fly-by when the ball drains? Maybe I'll see about using him for a mode somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

New Mania modes - Bot Bashing

So I've been back at working on adding new stuff to SPM. I've added four new "Mania" modes on top of the multi-ball and the hurry up that was already in the game.

In this video I'm showing "Bot Bashing". Its simple... just bash all the robots that appear.... the Crab Meats, Gun Beetles, and Moto Bugs!

More modes to show off later.

• Content Provider

New Mania Mode - Tails is Trippin'

Another new Mania mode added. In this mode, you need to collect the items Tails drops from his plane as he flies by (wooden box, metal box, Genesis cartridge). Collect 6 items to clear the mode.

This was a bit tricky to get working. Tails does fly-bys until there are 3 items on the playfield. If there aren't 3 items, then he does a fly-by and drops an item in one of the spots where there is no items present.

Collecting all boxes clears the Mania mode, and awards you a Chaos Emerald (now shown on the playfield.

More modes to show off later.

Coming soon.

• Content Provider

New Mania Mode - Magna-Blast

Another new Mania mode added. In Magna Blast, you need to get to the upper loop / ramps and hit the checkpoint to disable Robotnik's Magna-Beam.

He will track you to try to stop you. When his light changes to yellow then his Magna-Beam is active. If you hit certain spots on the playfield while it's active, then he zaps you in his Magna-Beam to stop you.

One more Mania mode to show later.

Coming Soon.

• Content Provider

New Mania Mode - Ring Hunt

The last of the new Mania modes I've added is Ring Hunt. It's simple. Collect all the rings scattered throughout the entire playfield. Once all rings are collected, you completed the mode and are granted a chaos emerald (as shown on the playfield).

This is the last of the new Mania modes I'm adding. On top of that, there is the Hurry Up mode, and Multiball from the original Sonic table... both which also will grant you a chaos emerald.

In the next preview, I'll be showing the really cool things I'm doing with the new Item Box I added at the back.

• Content Provider

New Mystery Item Box and Powerups!

Something I always wanted to try adding was an Item Box just like in the Sonic games that rewards you items or powerups. I'm happy to say that I got it in the game and it's very cool!

The Mystery Item Box will randomly select an item or PowerUp. When you hit the upper loop, you will smash through the item box and collect the reward / powerup.... complete with an animated "poof", and then the box will rise up...and any powerups will start with their animated effects.

Items you can get:

- Coin - you get only 1 coins :)
- 25 Coins
- 50 Coins
- 100 Coins
- 1Up - extra ball

Powers Up you can get:

Invincibility - will create a protective lit-up animated barrier around the ball with a sparkle effect similar to the game. This powerup will activate the Kickback, outlerlane diverter, Shoot Again light, and drain pop-up. This will last for 20 seconds.

Shield - will create a protective shield barrier around the ball, and will slow the entire game to run at only 75% of normal speed. This will last for 20 seconds.

(You can't have both Shield and Invincibility enabled at the same time. They will override the other when its rewarded.)

Sonic Shoes - will create a speed / trail effect that follows the ball, and gives you extra points and coins for all targets / bumpers, etc. This stays enabled until the ball drains (this may change).

Adding this feature makes the game more fun, with more variety... and can help you out when you need it. Love how it turned out.

Coming Soon!

• Content Provider

New animated Goal Sign and more Launch Bonus characters

I always wanted to add the Goal Sign that you pass by at the end of a level in the Sonic games. So I added it with a new "spin" on it (pun intended).

When you get a new ball to launch, you'll see the Launch Bonus cycling. I added even more characters to this (18 total) and more bonus options.

While this goes on the Goal Sign will start spinning and cycle its image to match the Launch Bonus characters. When you launch and get your bonus, the sign stops spinning and show the character you got.

When your ball drains, the sign will rotate to show Dr Robotnik.

• Content Provider

Animated Spring Bumpers and Sunflowers 

I'm getting down to the last bits I'm adding. One of the first things I thought about adding was animated Sonic "spring" bumpers and "sunflowers" just like in the games. Well it turned out to be one of the last things I added.

I love lots of moving bits and "stuff" jammed into a playfield... and these little bits all add to the Sonic look.

• Content Provider

Super Sonic preview!

"GET A LOAD OF THIS!" This is cool!

This is the final mode you need to complete! First you must complete the 4 mania modes, then complete the multiball and hurry up.... all which give you 6 chaos emeralds. When this is done... the last white emerald appears in the Item Box. When you collect that you have all 7 chaos emeralds!

This will start a transformation sequence that changes you into Super Sonic! In this mode, you simply need to hit the right shots to attack Robotnik 6 times. Just like Super Sonic in the games... you are always invincible, so you never drain. I figured, its hard enough to get to the end... I'd rather the player have fun with it and be able to complete it. 6 hits defeats Robotnik, and the game restarts all modes again, and Sonic is back to normal Sonic.

This is the last major gameplay component to finish. Now its all the left over "details" like replacing all mech sounds replaced with Fleep sounds, finish up art on the apron, cabinet, room... tidying up the DMD, and completing HUD images to match modes and gameplay. Then lots of testing still.

When it's done... it won't have PinEvent (SSF, DOF, PUP) added until a later time.

Coming soon!

• Content Provider

The Last Details!

VR Room, art on pf / cabinet, hud art, decals, shadows, Fleep sounds, music, sound effects, code cleanup etc.

I'm almost there! Lots of stuff done!

I added a new VR room with some nicely detailed models. I could have gone really crazy with adding stuff to this... but I gotta stop somewhere.

All art has been finalized. Added more to the decals. Added all new art for the HUD for each mode,etc. Added some art for the cabinet.... and finally finished the apron... with credits included to everyone who contributed to this final table (past and present).

Fleep's amazing mechanical sounds added throughout the entire table, and is ready for pup ssf for when PinEvent gets added... later on AFTER this is released. (I gotta update PinEvent, and all my other releases for it as well.)

I also added some more sounds, and music, and have that working for each mode. There's some old Sonic... and some new Sonic thrown in there.

Just the final stretch of fixes and "details" to be ironed out. Of course I'll need to do an EPIC full gameplay and features video to show this off before release, so look for that very soon!

This is the part that feels so great when you see it all coming together... and damn it all... I'm pretty happy with what I've pulled off!

Coming very soon.... and this time I mean it!

(looking at you RetroFlair 2 video that said coming in 2021)

spm.thumb.jpg.35060d0c1a1d00594c5a3227de7d92aa.jpg

543310816_spm-room2.thumb.jpg.dcbdc1650b1a14aff1be397cad016694.jpg

1119722463_spm-backbox.thumb.jpg.60530dc3f5c3f95363e8422c6eedcc91.jpg

1238049418_spm1.thumb.jpg.175d549b1c8e8c9bcb0b27c8c644b885.jpg

2012249656_spm2.thumb.jpg.131a72686c4d6d59d5a3bfabe29ea98c.jpg

554195445_spm-apron.thumb.jpg.d3dc2a6ba703d9850462a30c6efacbde.jpg

906623791_spm-bb.thumb.jpg.0e52521bac9bd623b00c2ccf4bb0fc8d.jpg

1502016380_spm-rh.thumb.jpg.b439387c6644121d3629eacc80acb636.jpg

504526682_spm-trippin.thumb.jpg.1857a4ba6c19b7b02d74247c5fe42ac4.jpg

2034757370_spm-room1.thumb.jpg.cdb05591738adfb99cec1bf2099c24b3.jpg

• Content Provider
2 hours ago, softfish said:

Pretty awesome. Hopefully makes it's way to VPX.

Without getting technical.... it "can't" make it's way to VPX.... at least not without removing half of the content... or compromising on so much it won't even look like, or be the same table anymore.

So... not on VPX... not by me. :)

Eventually though.... it will get a DF2 physics update... which is as close to realistic / nfozzy-like as you'll get on FP. Not as good (mainly because of the rubbers).... but for "realism"... much better than the DF1 physics I have currently on it.

18 hours ago, TerryRed said:

Eventually though.... it will get a DF2 physics update... which is as close to realistic / nfozzy-like as you'll get on FP.

I'm looking forward to this table (as I always do with your releases). I haven't heard about this DF2 physics. Could you possibly point me in the direction of where I might get some info about this and what its about? I went to the BAM site but I don't see much info related to physics. This is just from a casual interest perspective (not a table builder).

Cheers

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, BazzaLB said:

I'm looking forward to this table (as I always do with your releases). I haven't heard about this DF2 physics. Could you possibly point me in the direction of where I might get some info about this and what its about? I went to the BAM site but I don't see much info related to physics. This is just from a casual interest perspective (not a table builder).

Cheers

More realistic physics for VP and FP doesn't just automatically happen. It needs to be created and made to work on the table within the abilities of the program.

VPX took a long while to get the better physics we enjoy today... but that is the result of guys like nFozzy creating it in the first place, and dedicated table authors putting in the work to add it to a table. (its not just a quick copy / paste... there's much more to it than that). So the tables that play great in VPX... required a lot of work and dedication to get them to that point by the author. Nothing is automatic.

For FP it will be the same. BAM made it possible for FP physics to be more accessible, and therefor improved. What we call DF1 is what all my PinEvent releases use as does SLAMT1LT's Ultimate Pro tables, and some others. It was a big improvement... but there were still limitations. (wide shots... on/off flippers, etc)

DF2 is the combined efforts from JLou, ravarcade, shiva, AnonTet and others to add more "realistic" physics to FP. They are using similar method as nFozzy... but within FP's ability (given its close sourced). It very much changes the flippers to behave more realistic (not just on / off, and no super wide shots,etc)... better sling behavior, ball feels more heavy, and more. It's still in the beta phase, and getting tweaked more and more.... but the results have been very promising for those who prefer more realistic physics.

So DF2 physics will be a copy and paste as a starter... but it must be tailored to the table... and the table must be adjusted as needed. Some tables may need much more work done (like geometry changes,etc). Just like on VPX... an author needs to understand how to add it... and lots of testing.