Vpuniverse red top warning imposter site

Gh0stbust3r

Dear vpuniverse friends,

Today I had a few warnings on top of the page saying "warning imposter site .. vpd"

I thinks it's coming from google but am not sure, maybe they 'label' some sites beeing not thrustworthy.

Just curious what you think.

Btw the vpd site have lot's of troubles too regarding loading pages, so I hope this site will be staying alive.

Greetings,

Ghostbuster

Edited by Gh0stbust3r

Curious to what we think ? Sure, I'll give you my view on your stupdiness.

1) My first language is not English, but, I'm actually able to read and understand the message provided.

2) Since you know of loading troubles - indicates you are actually a member over there and no friend of mine at all.

- Have a nice day.

Some of us who only recently came to this hobby don't know the history beind VPD, so I think it may be harsh to discount a potential friend who is simply unaware of the tactics employed by VPD.  I signed up for membership on the site when first researching sources for VPX and FP tables, but shortly I learned why VPD is a site to be avoided.

I think the red flag warning on VPU offers a concise and accurate explanation of the VPD MO, and I hope VPU newbies take the time to learn the difference between sites that support the creators and those that just try to profit from the work of others.

Edited by DanLShane

I've been in the building arcade hobby for around 10 years.  i've been in the virtual pinball community for about 1 year.  And that was just using a atgames pinball table.  only the last few months have i been trying out popper.  I always try and support creators , as ive always done in non pinball software.  I joined this site and paid a subscription to support and help keep the site running.  I know nothing of drama between grownups on the internet. Two weeks ago., what i guess is the owner of the website that sells actual pinball tables , messaged me because i ordered small custom pieces for my vpin.   He then told me he runs a pinball website as well, so i figured since he builds pinball tables, and makes youtube videos etc., that it was a legit operation.  I also paid money to support the site just as i did this one.

How are we supposed to know what sites are legit and which aren't?  When i use the mega guide 2.0 that we all use to setup our builds , when i click on the links listed from the nailbusters website, chrome and internet explorer won't allow me to open those websites, and says that those sites are pirated.   Obviously , its an error becauses nailbusters and terry etc wouldn't put thousands of hours of work just to run fake sites.  But the links in the guides are blocked for me.  

We aren't aware of what sites we are allowed to talk about and which ones we are.  Nobody has ever told me , hey you should watch out for this website, they are scammers.  That scammer, now has my credit card info, and i never received my backbox item i ordered from the website.  

Now I have to hope my bank will stop payment to these people.  Regardless , I would hope the majority of people would have a more supportive response then Thalamus's post.

Edited by Dazz
Removed white spaces.

On 11/13/2021 at 7:08 AM, Thalamus said:

Curious to what we think ? Sure, I'll give you my view on your stupdiness.

1) My first language is not English, but, I'm actually able to read and understand the message provided.

2) Since you know of loading troubles - indicates you are actually a member over there and no friend of mine at all.

- Have a nice day.

I Hope you don't represent the majority response of this website, because as adults who are all insterested in the same hobby we usually try and help each other out and not call them names and kick them when they are down.  Most of us are new to this hobby and don't know who the scammers are.  I got scammed because a totally different sales website referred me to that website.  Nobody warned me not to buy anything from that website, and also do not post or go to a website the owner told me he ran.  Now i have to hope my bank will refund me the money.  But it "isnt my fault" because i didn't know that there is this huge conspiracy of drama going on in the virtual pinball community. 

Please. Mr post count = 2 !

Maybe read some articles before you accuse me of anything ?!

And, yeah, I'm not crying on your behalf if that is what you're after. Stand firmly with what I said and I'm not at all changing my view. He asked for my opinion; and he got it.

28 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

Please. Mr post count = 2 !

Maybe read some articles before you accuse me of anything ?!

And, yeah, I'm not crying on your behalf if that is what you're after. Stand firmly with what I said and I'm not at all changing my view. He asked for my opinion; and he got it.

yes, as I said, I'm knew to virtual pinball.  That doesn't mean I don't know how and how not to treat people correctly. I don't need your crying on my behalf. Its the internet, in real life 1000% your tone and attitude would be different in my presence.  There are 3 people now in this post saying the same thing. Why dont you stop attacking other members and post the names of the websites that we should stay away from to help out fellow members?  

28 minutes ago, Thalamus said:

• Content Provider
1 hour ago, jtravapd said:

Now I have to hope my bank will stop payment to these people.  Regardless , I would hope the majority of people would have a more supportive response then Thalamus's post.

Most people and posts here are supportive, but I have to agree with Thalamus' response to this one.  You obviously came here because VPD got taken down (good riddance) and didn't read the explanation that comes with the banner.  Also, VPD just looked shady as shit, even after it lost everything and copied VPU's layout when it came back.  Just a lesson to do your due diligence before giving out money.

8 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

Why dont you stop attacking other members and post the names of the websites that we should stay away from to help out fellow members?  

That's in the process of being done in an official capacity.  For now though, if you're new you should stick to VPU, VPF, and the guides put out by TerryRed and Nailbuster.  Stay away from anyone offering packs of tables or selling software.

1 minute ago, Wylte said:

Most people and posts here are supportive, but I have to agree with Thalamus' response to this one.  jtravapd obviously came here because VPD got taken down (good riddance) and didn't read the explanation that comes with the banner.  Also, VPD just looked shady as shit, even after it lost everything and copied VPU's layout when it came back.  Just a lesson to do your due diligence before giving out money.

That's in the process of being done in an official capacity.  For now though, if you're new you should stick to VPU, VPF, and the guides put out by TerryRed and Nailbuster.  Stay away from anyone offering packs of tables or selling software.

see, this is what i was talking about.  This is how adults talk to each other.  I appreciate your help, but i actually already knew not to download "packs" or "drive" of pinball tables.  As I posted above I have been building home arcades for people for the last  10 years or so, and it only took reading terrys mega guide and installing popper once to know that not only is it a imroper way to do it, (unless the author creates a download that way) , ive noticed and learned you have to go one at a time.  My OCD will drive me insane if somethig doesn't work correctly.  So other then my steam collections, I have installed my tables one by one.  

And thalamus , I hold no ill will towards you, i was referring to the fact that you guys are arguing , instead of posting the websites name, to save each other from possibly losing money like i just did.  Yes, I only have 3 posts but I immediately supported the site as i signed up.  I Wanted to post a warning what happened to me and post the website, and their I think fake product site which is was led me there.  As of right now, the website to purchase products, and full pinballl builds is down (thats where i had ordered parts for my vpin)  it was supposedly shipped out on nov 7th but i never got a tracking number, and now the website, the facebook site, everything is gone. So it wasnt just a website like this, it was a fullblown virtual pinball website to buy machines.   I don't know whats going on.  Was that a fake website it was using "retroplay" videos, and I thought the companies were the same.  now all the youtube videos are private, the website is down, and i guess im out of luck.  I was rereading my text messages etc, and he referred me to the website being talked about in this post.

Did everyone know, that the owners of that website was also scamming people out of what could be thousands of dollars if they got anyone to buy any of their full vpin builds?  I actually feel lucky that I only was screwed out of a death star plunger and not a complete build.  I'm in America too, so I cant even drive to their address.  

38 minutes ago, Wylte said:

Most people and posts here are supportive, but I have to agree with Thalamus' response to this one.  You obviously came here because VPD got taken down (good riddance) and didn't read the explanation that comes with the banner.  Also, VPD just looked shady as shit, even after it lost everything and copied VPU's layout when it came back.  Just a lesson to do your due diligence before giving out money.

actually your wrong.  I didn't obviously come here because the other site got taken down.  I started here as a paying member in September.  And I am talking about "Virtual Mini Pinball Australia", it wasn't a forum or download site , It was a virtual pinball website that put up youtube videos claiming they were showing off there builds.  I then went to their website from their youtube channel and purchased a death star plunger knob.  After buying that, the "owner" said he ran a virtual pinball website , which is the one we are talking about now.  That was November 7th.  I just finished building my vpinball this past weekend so , No, i wasnt on that website downloading games.  i paid for my membership for this website in september, which was way before even knowing about the other website.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, jtravapd said:

yes, as I said, I'm knew to virtual pinball.  That doesn't mean I don't know how and how not to treat people correctly. I don't need your crying on my behalf. Its the internet, in real life 1000% your tone and attitude would be different in my presence.  There are 3 people now in this post saying the same thing. Why dont you stop attacking other members and post the names of the websites that we should stay away from to help out fellow members?  

We don't post the names/links to sites that aren't legit as to not give them any attention.  I am working on something that I'm calling the Digital Pinball Network and will be introducing it to the community shortly.  I'm hoping to create a network of vetted sites, vendors, Facebook Groups, Discord Groups, and Streamers.  These sites in this network will all agree to abide and uphold some of our VERY basic community standards, IE no pack hosting, pack/drive selling, hosting of content that wasn't uploaded by the original creators/artists, etc.  Sites in this network will be listed and offered a seal that they can display on their site, store, stream, group, or whatever showing that they are part of this network. I'm hoping we can work this out like the old webrings do and chain link between all of the DPNetwork members.

You guys all need to chill... The main offending site has left the battle.  Just go play some pinball!

• Content Provider

@Dazz that bit about the parts/build seller site and YT being down along with the download site might be helpful in clearing up just which Aussie was actually running it all.  And someone with (potentially) direct messages connecting them.  If you're still building a case or if he comes back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13 hours ago, Wylte said:

@Dazz that bit about the parts/build seller site and YT being down along with the download site might be helpful in clearing up just which Aussie was actually running it all.  And someone with (potentially) direct messages connecting them.  If you're still building a case or if he comes back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I got the websites confused, retroplay sold me the pinball plunger knob, i contacted who i thought was dave from retroplay and asked him what was the ssd drive he sells on his site. However it wasnt dave it was the guy who runs mini Australian pinball.com or something like that. He had youtube videos up and for $340 i ordered the samsung ssd drive. Wbile i was paying for that drive, he told me he runs his own site where i could download new tables when people upload them. He said he would give me the tracking number tomorrow when it gets sent out. Well he messaged me but no tracking numbers. After a week of him not respondingto me, he cancelled his facebook account, tbe website where i purchsed the ssd was also gone. Then i checked tbe site he supposedly owns. That also was down. Luckily my credit card and bank companies refunded me all the money. 

13 hours ago, Wylte said:

Do you guys not know who the guy is? The photo below is how i found him, the regular website seemed real. Two weeks went by without him even giving me a tracking number.  I got full refunds affer getting paylpal involved. 

16372443441901549266791961533165.jpg

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

Do you guys not know who the guy is? The photo below is how i found him, the regular website seemed real. Two weeks went by without him even giving me a tracking number.  I got full refunds affer getting paylpal involved. 

That store was done by the same guy that runs VPD.

2 hours ago, Dazz said:

That store was done by the same guy that runs VPD.

An important note, and why we should educate people coming into the hobby, all he does is flip cheap crap to those that don’t know any better from China for about 400 percent. All I did were some basic searches and found the exact same pictures. 

The scammers that sell these never state the most important facts. What kind of computer is in here, what’s the GPU, CPU, disk drive space, how many ports? The options are, the small one, the medium one and the big one. No details about what your buying, because by not stating what it really is, is the key to making profit. 

We really can’t express this enough. If you think buying a cabinet online is a good idea, it’s probably not. 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, jtravapd said:

actually your wrong.  I didn't obviously come here because the other site got taken down.  I started here as a paying member in September.  And I am talking about "Virtual Mini Pinball Australia", it wasn't a forum or download site , It was a virtual pinball website that put up youtube videos claiming they were showing off there builds.  I then went to their website from their youtube channel and purchased a death star plunger knob.  After buying that, the "owner" said he ran a virtual pinball website , which is the one we are talking about now.  That was November 7th.  I just finished building my vpinball this past weekend so , No, i wasnt on that website downloading games.  i paid for my membership for this website in september, which was way before even knowing about the other website.

I can't believe that I'm standing up for VPD, but I just got this message via Facebook Messenger from VPD.  Figured I'd pass it along.  We have already established that VPD is not the same person that runs Retro-Play.  They are run by different people.  A guy named David runs Retro-Play and checking his site; he does sell the death star plunger that you mention.  
plunger.png 

2 hours ago, Dazz said:

I can't believe that I'm standing up for VPD, but I just got this message via Facebook Messenger from VPD.  Figured I'd pass it along.  We have already established that VPD is not the same person that runs Retro-Play.  They are run by different people.  A guy named David runs Retro-Play and checking his site; he does sell the death star plunger that you mention.  
plunger.png 

18 hours ago, Wylte said:

If this is what this site is about then just let me know now and ill cancel my subscription, i literally get ripped off by some guy who apparently you know is shady and your what, taking his side? I CAN say 10000,,,% that this guy and dave from retroplay are not the same people. Ive made that clear several times already. I was trying to message dave when instead i got this guy. He was using videos that were retroplay builds and saying they were his. I actually brought that up in our conversation but he just said no retroplay gets its media all from the same place that we all do. Thats when he sold me on the hard drive and a subscription to his website. He said it was his personal build that is updsted daily. I didnt know about only certain sites being the sites authors allowed their content on because its everywhere. So yesterday a couple of us who felt we got ripped off by this guy were told its our fault, we shouldnt even be talking to him, yet we have moderators here talking to him? Take dave from retroplay out of this conversation. He has nothing to do with it. The same guy who runs virtualpinballs that was shut down yesterday also runs mini pinball Australia. 

1) i got the mass email that must have gone out saying their system went down, and it had seperate links to all table, one to all media and one to puppacks. I ignored the message and to prove to you the guy is lying, he runs both virtualpinballs (not writing out the whole address on purpose) and attached is my refunds i got yesterday one from the website and the other is  from the mini pinball Australia page. Look at that its refunded from the same companyimage2.thumb.jpeg.1aff85333f070b866cd7063aab81a2d0.jpegimage1.thumb.jpeg.553ef871ac6b4913bb0aa2b60cb2df0d.jpeg

image0.jpeg

• Content Provider

@jtravapd I think you just need to calm down and read more carefully.  @Dazz has been getting doxx'd and harassed by this guy constantly from multiple accounts, he isn't "talking"  to him; when he says he's "standing up for" him, he just means that he's passing along a clarifying message he got.  Dave from Retroplay has nothing to do with it: you, Dazz, and he agree here.

To end this, the guy who runs vpd and mini Australian pinball is the same guy. When i paid $259.52 be stopped messaging me right after i paid. He was supposed to send me a tracking number,never did, but he would read my messages, just as we all know you can see when its been read. He could lie all he wants but i got my refunds back, so its over as far as im concerned. I showed you the refunds from both websites came from the same company and posted photos. I have no idea why there is so much drama around what seems to be this website and him, but the guy gave me my full refund so he can lie and say whateverhe wants as far as im concerned. Next time i would hope before immediately dismissing my integrity , someone would ask me first what happened and good,bad,or ugly youll find yiur gonna get 100% the truth every time.  Thats why i wanted it to be clear that dave from retroplay had nothing to do with this. I order tons of tech stuff, constantly, its like Christmas evrytime the postman comes around. So i confused the two Australian pinballsites that were posting videos on youtube.