Packs

tmpc

I started this VP thing two years ago and with the help of members on different sites i learned alot. A friend of mine wanted to make a v pin cab and went the pack download route. He asked me for help and when i seen what he downloaded i just laughed. I could not believe the garbage in the pack he had. Very old files with lots of missing roms and b2s's. We deleted the pack and with my limited knowledge he is starting from scratch and learning how this all works and he says it is very rewarding when he gets things working properly. He is learning so much from just reading the forums on sites.

I would like to say thank you to all the content creators and others for helping with my dumb questions over the past years. I am very proud of my modest cab and friends are blown away when they play it.  

I hope this hobby continues on because this 68 year man is having so much fun.

There is something really satisfying when starting out in the hobby to focus on getting one table to run really well and only then install a next one. My first weeks of mocking around in VPX were the best as I played only 5 tables but continuously.

Downloading a pack would have totally ruined that experience and I would have been left without any knowledge.

One year later, instead of adding tables, I often see myself hiding or deleting  tables from Popper that I don't play or not really like to only keep the tables that I know I will play a lot.

And I use the competition on Discord or watch some Youtube videos (Rastan mostly) to be surprised by hidden gems. Less is more .

45 minutes ago, bietekwiet said:

There is something really satisfying when starting out in the hobby to focus on getting one table to run really well and only then install a next one. My first weeks of mocking around in VPX were the best as I played only 5 tables but continuously.

Downloading a pack would have totally ruined that experience and I would have been left without any knowledge.

One year later, instead of adding tables, I often see myself hiding or deleting  tables from Popper that I don't play or not really like to only keep the tables that I know I will play a lot.

And I use the competition on Discord or watch some Youtube videos (Rastan mostly) to be surprised by hidden gems. Less is more .

Kind of reminds me of myself too. I was around a long time ago. Didn't interact with the community, but downloaded tables and had at that point all the roms available. One day I just got bored of physics. I expect we where then in the early VP9 days. Came back, was amazed how improved the software had become. Decided to build the cab and kind of began on my same trail. Downloaded most of the table without really testing them, but, well. I had a plan, write down the titles, figure what sites often had the best versions on average. Didn't take me long though after I started to give thanks to the authors, and reading the support threads that I could easily make changes to these re-creations to play a bit more in the direction that I wanted them to. Without the forums though, I would not have been able to. And, I feel I've found a lot of new friends too. Most I won't meet in real life, but, who knows. I will wear my VPinball cap proudly going to pinball tournaments once this god damn pandemic is over, maybe, slightly in hope that someone sees it and give a little wink or ask if I'm from the virtual community.

Archived