The Getaway - High Speed II 64 color Edition

• Content Provider
17 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

First of all many thanks for offering to support. I am using @malenko s dumps and you are right most of the time the mode is played on the right.

The middle is collaterally ok covered and the left thin. The extremes are more or less missing, from what I can see.

However I do not have 54 dumps, its more around 20. Let's do the following. I'll weed through what there is (which will take about three weeks) and then put up a list of positions missing. Let's talk about how to them obtain them, once we know what we still need.

In the meantime, you could maybe upload your full set somewhere and send me the link via private message, here or on pinside. 

Would that be fine?

Sounds like a plan, PM sent (on here).

• 2 weeks later...

What link is the latest version for a real pin ?

Still the november 2019 files ?

And how do you see what version it is ?

Only real issue I have is 'Free Play' which is blinking in different colors and cut in half.

Of course it would be nice to have a video mode upgrade with more than just colored mountains.

But, great job from everybody involved !! Keep it up !

• 1 month later...
  • Content Provider

What could be the problem is that you have marked the area using a different black instead of color 0 which leads to unwanted color mixture. 

To check this temporarily set the first color of each color group to something visible and check your lcm frames that only the object is colored.

• Content Provider
30 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

I did set it to "010101"

Set it temporarily to something more visible 777777 and then check that really only the objects itself is colored and not any area around gets the temporary color.

• Content Provider

The priority of the rows is exactly the same as color groups within the row. Topmost row has the lowest. Bottom Row the highest. The priority within the row remains the same which in the end leads to top left = lowest priority and bottom right = highest priority.

The overlap behaviour is also the same as described in NetzZwergs video.

If the color palette groups are:

A1 A2 A3 A4
B1 B2 B3 B4
C1 C2 C3 C4
D1 D2 D3 D4

An overlap of B2 and C2 would result in D2 and an overlap of B2 and C3 would result in D4.

This is technically caused by the binary operation we use to map those colors to the bits coming from the machine.

0101 xx  - color group B2 (5)
OR  1010 xx - color group C3 (10)
         1111 xx - color group D4 (15)

while xx are the 2 bits coming from the machine = 4 colors in each group.

This is not an  intended behaviour, it is a technical drawback.

• Content Provider
32 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

I might add, you can also "fake" recordings by manually building them as resplace-scenes and then transferring them into LCM. Saved me tons of frames for the CPU car positions, once I figured out, which pattern they follow.

Yes true, forgot to mention it you are right! 

32 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

Any idea how I can come up with a good way to arrange the colors? I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.

Wow need to check out this table later... If you like you could pm me that exported scene and a dump file to trigger it. I could try to check it out for myself to help to find a solution tonight. 

4 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

Any idea how I can come up with a good way to arrange the colors? I'm a bit overwhelmed right now.

Coincidentally, I have been discussing the 64-color color overlap priorities on a different thread.  I hope I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly how it works, there are limited ways to avoid the unwanted color "summations" because they apply both vertically (to the inner 2 columns) as well as horizontally ( to the inner 2 rows) and, therefore, very limited ways to avoid the "collisions" when prioritizing.  So if your scene has many potential color overlapping opportunities, it's not going to be possible to eliminate them all, regardless of how clever or creative the placement in the palette.  

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

You bet. Take a look at this excel assessment of BITXOR.

The binary operation applied is OR not XOR. That is something completely different.

Please delete your posts with XOR tables etc. as it might mislead others.

Are you maybe looking into changing the way they are handled? Just for my information - in that case I would wait out that change.

No. I have no idea how I could overcome that easily and efficiently.

Here's a cheat sheet for interior rows and columns of a color palette defined as:

image.png.7f9f403d19c27261e83c71ad29a7763b.png

Put your favorite color group in D4!

Overlap

Groups                                       Result

A2|A3                                              A4

B1|C1                                               D1

B2|B3                                             B4

A2|B3                                             B4

B2|A3                                             B4

C2|C3                                             C4

A2|C3                                             C4

C2|A3                                             C4

B2|C2                                            D2

B1|C2                                             D2

B2|C1                                             D2

B3|C3                                            D3

B1|C3                                            D3

B3|C1                                            D3

D2|D3                                         D4

A2|D3                                          D4

B2|C3                                          D4

B2|D3                                         D4

C2|B3                                          D4

C2|D3                                         D4

D2|A3                                         D4

D2|B3                                         D4

D2|C3                                         D4

B4|C4                                         D4

B1|C4                                          D4

B2|C4                                         D4

B3|C4                                         D4

Edited by sudsy7

• Content Provider
3 minutes ago, sprudeldudel said:

I placed the export on the SD card of a display connected to my PC via USB. I set the editor to live view and go through video Mode scenes. It comes up fully colored on the display.

However occasionally there are frames where the frame is not colored. I look for the position of the lambo and go to the corresponding lcm scene in my project. There the uncolored frame corresponds the frame 0. I noticed that in that lcm scene, frame zero had been overwritten by a copy of frame 47 or 48, depending on the scene. I have not done this. I am certain of that because I haven't changed the scene to "replace" and it is impossible to change the frame without doing that.

Anyway, i fixed it, be re applying the background color and exporting again and placing the new export on the pin2dmd.

I play the VM again in live view and again the same thing with a different frame. Again overwritten.

Is this what you are asking for?

O.K. I will try to test that way tomorrow and see if I can reproduce anything

• Content Provider

In the meantime you can test one other thing yourself.

Please download the latest editor from google drive and export/test with that version.

I recognized that it changed the size of the project when I saved it.

Maybe it already fixes your problem

There was definitely a bug in the editor in the past where frame 0 was overwritten by a later frame in a scene. I still see this a lot in an older version of the (16 colour) editor I am using for a demo man update, but I can't work out consistent replication steps (so I know what not to do!!)

I haven't noticed it happening to me working on a different 64 colour project, but I don't used LCM very much in that project, only one scene so far, and haven't seen the same bug crop up yet.

Perhaps the original bug is still knocking around for the LCM scene type? Endprodukt mentioned it here...

It's a long shot but if you ever fixed anything to solve that bug lucky, then maybe a similar fix is needed elsewhere?

• Content Provider
9 hours ago, sprudeldudel said:

4. leaving everyhgting connected, I disable "live preview" and fix the pixel in scene "zz_vm_s07_LCM", frame 19.

5. I save the file and export to real pin.

Did you change to frame to a different frame between those 2 steps to make sure the frame data is saved ?

• Content Provider

The result itself does not help tracking down the issue. We need to find out WHEN it happens.

Maybe the logfile of that session which is in C:\Users\"Username"\AppData\Local\Temp could help

to find out more.

Just to be clear I am not saying this is definitely the same bug, I am sure lucky would have mentioned if he felt it was related, it was just a long shot because I still see it from time to time in my old 16 colour project and (surprisingly!) could remember Endprodukt mentioning the same issue last year.

But to answer your question, yes, it is consistently frame 0 that gets replaced.

Really don't know what causes it; I usually always have live preview enabled and I still make heavy use of manually switching between replace and colour mask modes, so my gut feeling it's a combination of some or all of these actions, but that is pure speculation only.

• Content Provider

I could reproduce the problem, by doing the following:

- modify any frame in animation which is not 0

- export to real

- save project

Will be fixed in the next version. Currently just commit the changes to the frame by pressing e.g. the next frame  button before exporting the project.