4K In A Cab, Anyone Take The Plunge Yet?

wowter

Personally i dont see the advantage of 4K in my livingroom, as most people are too far away from the TV to notice the improved resolution.  In a  cab however, you are up close and personal with your TV, and it would probably be awesome ... finally be able to appreciate the 4K playfield images some tables have, although it might jarr with the lower res table elements.

The Philips BDM4065UC is a 40 inch TV/monitor which does 4K@60Hz via displayport! (older 4k tv's were limited to 30hz) and only costs 699, could be great right?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/philips-4k-bdm4065uc-monitor,27977.html

Anyone have a 4K tv in a cab or tried it?

Haha what fren said. It'd be a total waste of money considering you're only going to be outputting a picture at 1/4th the resolution.

I don't believe Future Pinball would look very good either. Even if the program outputs at the resolution, I doubt anybody is using textures / playfield images / etc that would be appropriately sized as it would be an unnecessary resource drain at 1080.

Oops, didn't see that Fren mentioned FP already. Have you tried it on 4K?

I also wanted to add that if you really want to put more money into your playfield display, consider instead going for a standard HD but with newer tech in it. One of the reasons my shots pop so much over in the SweetFX thread is because that display has full array variable back-lighting. Similar to normal LED back-lighting it has a matrix of LEDs behind the display panel. But these are able to individually dim or brighten depending on what's on the screen!

That means light inserts and flashers literally put out more light than a dark spot on the playfield.

My ad agency did all of the materials for the Sharp / Pioneer team-up "KURO 2" project, aka the ELITE display a few years back. At the time, it was the most sophisticated panel available in North America. It also cost 6X as much as a normal display. To explain WHY it was worth that much, we put together neat motion graphics explaining the technologies.

The product has since been discontinued (sold them all and didn't make more) and the campaign is over. But here's a backup of the page explaining full array variable back-lighting:

http://elite.23kstudios.com/technology/local-dimming-led-black-levels/

If you click around to some of the other Technology vignettes there's other very relevant explainer vids. The one about Uniformity, for example, is great for understanding why you can't cheap out and get a non-LED display with cathode edge-lighting.

This site took the W3's award for best consumer electronics website back when it was live ;)

Ah,  i guess we wait a bit then.   Some VP tables already have 4k or bigger playfields in them (like stargate), so i thought VP could already display them.

The way prices have come down already,  4k will cost only a couple bucks extra in the nearby future (just like 3d),  and soon you will not be able to buy a high end TV without it. 

Also, for normal TV viewing i do not really care for the effect added by 'full LED local dimming backlit TV's' (or whatever you want to call them). Even with a fine LED matrix, the effect comes across as phony and distracting. You can clearly see part of the screen go extra dark, but is never the exact right part. Also, TV's with local dimming/full backlit LED matrices are thicker than your standard edge-lit LED screens.   Looking at TV sales and your comment, i think most people agree with me.   It is not worth the extra cost and thickness. Maybe it works better for non-moving things like virtual pinball?

This is the Future, you won't even need a tv for 3d visual pinball, just the reflective surface , the glasses and an Empty Cab , AR & VR . Projected Augmented Reality is where Digital Pinball is headed

Dev Jeri Ellsworth is a Big pinball fan and collector, they already have Unity3d plugin support, so the future is bright and 3D

http://technicalillu...castar-glasses/

• 2 weeks later...

just read toxie's remarks on vpforums.

looks like VP9.2 does support 4k (or any other res for that matter), you just have to change it in the registry.  This support was apparantly broken by the move to windowed fullscreen in the DX9 versions.

so at least we can try it out then....on 9.2.

Honestly, I don't even see the need for 4k in anything less than a 200 inch TV screen. The human eyes can't perceive the difference for the most part. And in a Pinball Cabinet, all you are doing is creating more work for the graphics card, with little to no improvement.

• 1 year later...

Its funny reading old posts. lol

I just purchased that philips monitor and put it in my cab, apart from the obvious crazy cool resolution, the off axis viewing angle is so much better than the cheap 40" tv I replaced.

If I built another pinball cabinet I would never put in a 1080p screen (especially not a slow latency tv).

One of the selling features of 4k tvs/screens is that due the higher res you are able to sit closer or if sitting at the same distance you can install a larger display.

I would make a bet that in X years every pinball table will be developed in 4k and then also downsized for low res systems.

Thats what graphic designers do, they make the crazy hi res for the largest tablet or phone and then simply export different lower res versions for each device type.

*If the norm was to mounted a tv vertically on the wall to play VP from your lounge then I agree 4K is overkill, but having your eyes 2 foot from the screen = min res for me. (more tables will come with VP10)

Just for the record...I recently built my first cab and used a 43" Sony 4K for the playfield.  I am driving it with a GTX 970 and a high end computer.  I did this so it would be able to be used for many years to come.  I also assume the tv is doing some upconverting, depending on the table.  I have nothing to compare my cab to, but I can tell you I love the crisp resolution, particularly as I play more VPX tables.  

Honestly, I don't even see the need for 4k in anything less than a 200 inch TV screen. The human eyes can't perceive the difference for the most part. And in a Pinball Cabinet, all you are doing is creating more work for the graphics card, with little to no improvement.

Respectfully I completely disagree with you. I'm using a few 4K tv's for gaming and watching video in my home. The resolution comparison between 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 is an ENORMOUS difference. 4K gaming is definitely WAY better. It's not the future, it's now! You would have to be blind if you couldn't see a difference. Anyone building a gaming PC should plan on running a high end gpu and a good 4K monitor IMO.

I play project cars, dirt rally, assetto corsa, and others in beautiful 4K. No comparison to 1080! Trust me.

As far a pinball cabinets go, I'm planning on upgrading my screen soon to 4K. Even if the pinball software is only set up for 1080p, a good 4K tv with do a fantastic job of up converting.

Junky

This year after I have been using my Cab in 4K .... I'm building my Race Cockpit Simulator with a 4K TV too :D

YES! You should definitely build a 4K Racing Sim Rig.  Don't skimp on the screen size either. Buy a big screen and sit real close to it for maximum immersion. You will NOT be disappointed.  My force feedback wheel is all the way up to a 65" curved screen in my sim rig.  With the 4K you won't see any pixels.

Junky

• 4 weeks later...
  • Content Provider

I used to have three 42 inch TVs for my simpit, but now I prefer using my 55 inch curved 4K TV, for all my PC gaming, as well as my simpit. I have two GTX 970s in my PC.

4K is a huge improvement to 1080p. VPX plays in 4K fine for me, and looks great! Future Pinball, PBFX 2, and Pinball Arcade also run fine in 4K for me and they look excellent!

My pinball / arcade cabinet is using one of my older 42 inch TVs that came from the simpit, and is driven by a gtx 960. Even the 960 seems to be enough to drive pinball in 4K.... or at least in seems to have no problem running at that resolution via DSR for all the above pinball games.

I actually use a custom 21:9 resolution of 3840x1640 for my racing games on my curved 4K TV, and it looks fantastic. Yes there are black bars just like in a widescreen movie, but I get the ultrawide FOV I want.

Archived