Diy Nudge Low Budget

monnezzas

Well guys, I've spent all my prefixed budget for the whole pinball cabinet and I'm very happy and satisfied for the final result..

Only the nudge doesn't convince myself completely: I've chosen a classic 3 contacts with central ball as main contact pendulum. it works but obviously when you shake cabinet you must wait some milliseconds for the ball to move to the contacts and after that you'll see the effect on the playfield.

My second idea was to remove the springs on an old USB Microsoft sidewinder joystick/cloche and put it upside down in order to have an analog nudging but it doesn't work in VP nor in FP even if I checked analog nudge in setting/keys(in FP works but the ball is nudged continuously SVD goes crazy!

Have you ever tried a working diy solution (analog and digital) for a nice nudging without buying something? In curious to know your ideas

• Content Provider

+1 on this. I'm looking for a solution too. On my old cab I had nudge buttons (left and right), and I spring loaded the lockdown bar with a microswitch under it for forward nudge. Not going to happen on my new cab.

I had thought about a tilt bob with 3 switches, maybe even spring tensioning the switches, but the problem is recoil.

Recoil would not be a problem, you can change minimum time in millisecond to avoid this effect (800ms in my cab) the problem is the response time as I've said.. When you shake your cab you need instant effect and tilt bob cannot do it.. You'll have always a delayed nudge and as you can imagine a delayed nudge is useful only to catch a stucked ball in the playfield

Very interesting. Do you know if there will be an instant nudging with these mercury switches?

Use the NudgePlugin.vbs you made,use Blur's code to adjust the timing to your liking . Instant or delayed

They are very flexible , play around with them for best angle, i got 5 of them for 3 bucks, worth a try. I use them

mercuryswitchesimage.jpg

• Administrators

Before I got my plunger from Zeb; I used a real tilt plumb and drilled a hole large enough for the bob to fit in.  Then I had 4 screws that the bob made contact with to trigger the nudge.  It worked very well for a really long time.  

• Content Provider

Uh how many tips my friends! @freneticamnesic: I was talking about the sidewinder joystick not the freestyle pad @sliderpoint: could you explain something about this"mouser"? Never heard before

mouser.com is a place to order electronics on-line.  You would be buying the FRDM-KL25Z board. To read the complete write up on how this particular board works you can read the thread here.

-Mike

I've tried to read all but focused on the nudge part.. And reading all the instructions I've found a giant idea from Blur... Attach the joystick stick to the bottom of the lockdown bar.. don't you think it's an inexpensive way to obtain analog nudge in FP and VP?

• 3 weeks later...

OK:

After trying many ways to nudge my pinball cabinet I've finally found the perfect element: a joystick!

I've bought a second hand sidewinder joystick (not the freestyle) for 5€

Unmounted the stick and removed the stick buttons.

After that I rotated the joy upside down and removed all the springs that make the stick return to the original central position in order to obtain a "dead stick".

ecc67855bf117e6529a257381a3d5b22.jpg

Now I've attached an heavy metal ball to the stick so the earth gravity makes the work of the springs removed and center the stick after a shake..

59f391d65f4edce5f34862c2bcdae1cc.jpg

But:

Even if calibrated and tested in FP and VP seems that once shaked the ball moves analogically but doesn't return to his normal movement even if the stick seems to be centered.

a5a4730b237e941f6f8ae2b83dd64c21.jpg

So I've remounted springs but not the original springs, I've mounted a shorter and less tight springs to obtain a mix of "dead stick" and classical joystick automatic recenter.

Now when I shake the joy the attached metal ball swings and return to original position perfectly.

Now I need to calibrate forces and deadzone with DXTweak and set the tilt bobs because e.g. FP doesn't tilt with analog nudge.

• 1 month later...

Archived