Back In The Saddle Again

BamBam

Hi Folks,

I took about five years off from this hobby to pursue other matters and have returned to find that a lot has changed since I first started playing on a desktop.  

I have recently gutted an old Williams widebody cabinet (Contact 1978) to act as a host for my three-monitor cabinet.  Most of the wiki's I have found are dated and don't answer some of my new questions about backglasses and the DMD.

Question 1:

Can someone provide a layman explanation of what the differences between b2s, directb2s and uvp are?  Is there one that is used for EM or SS tables?  Which is best for a 3-monitor cabinet etc.  Do I need to manually edit the script of every table to use anyone of these backglass types.  If so what am I adding or removing to make this happen?

Question 2:

I used to know how to manually resize the VPinMame DMD, but can only seem to get it to move around, double size etc.  I was hoping to place it at the top of an old 1680x1050 monitor (Display 3) to be used as my dedicated DMD display.  Display 1 (1920x1080) is my playfield and Display 2 (1920x1080) is my backglass.  I would prefer not to have the backglass animated image show the speakers and DMD as I will have real speakers mounted below my backglass monitor.  The DMD with be situated between these two speakers.

I have VP running and can run EM tables like Abracadabra, to display on my playingfield (Display 1) and the backglass (Display 2).  When I run it through Hyperpin, the backglass image moves to my DMD display monitor (Display 3).

I am so close I can taste it.

Any assistance that could be provided to an old cat would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

John

• Content Provider

Question one: b2s/directb2s is more or less one and the same. This is the current software for displaying backglasses, it's uses for EM and SS tables and backglasses are actively developed for it.

Question two: right clock on the dmd and click "show window border" and you can resize it. You can hide the speaker panel from the backglass as well, right click and go to settings and turn off the panel to get a full screen b2s.

For your hyperpin issue, it's in the settings to tell it which monitor is which. You have told it to display your backglass on the DMD panel.... I believe DMD has to be monitor 3 but I'm not 100% sure. I personally use PinballX instead of Hyperpin so I'll let someone else help with this.

Hey BamBam, Do yourself a favor ' Don't use hyperpin ' as your frontend , Pinballx is easier and better to setup and manage everything. Hyperpin will cause you pain now, LoL. U can use all your hyperpin resources on it , even your tables .xml.

As Itchigo said, he also has a basic tutorial on youtube to get u started :

Good Luck and Welcome back

Dazz ... get that magic of yours to make some updates and improvements happen for HyperSpin ... with no updates to it for the year that I have been around it is very hard to recommend ... plus it is a bear to setup when it does not work with modern hardware and software.

That's the thing, I prefer hyperpin's look overall, but I have win 7 and the performance of hyperpin isn't ideal, especially compared to pinballx. In saying that, why would someone regret not going with hyperpin at the moment? If a new version is coming (I hope so) it's not like everyone is contractually obligated to stick with pinballx and not going with hyperpin right now is somehow going to make it work less well later.

If I had winxp though, I would go with hyperpin for sure. But I don't so right now, the dozens of hours I have put into hyperpin feels like one big waste of time. We live in the now, not the later, but here's hoping a new hyperpin comes out soon, would love that!

Sure, and this is no knock on hyperpin and hyperspin development, but a new version was speculated eons ago. The reality is that real life must take precedence over a hobby development project so I have zero problem with the wait time, but people can't go with speculation of a new version in deciding to not move forward.

At least if/when a new version comes up, I've got some experience so should not be a huge learning curve.

• Content Provider

I have nothing against Hyperpin, but I had a hell of a time getting it to work, then I scrapped it all together and used the vp editor before Pinball X came out. I tried Pinball X and everything worked right out of the box. Being that Pinball X is being updated regularly, and works well for me- that's why I recommend it. Nothing against Dazz or Hyperpin/Hyperspin.

I'm not 100% sure NOW but I know that when I switched from HyperPin to PinballX all my configs were compatible. It's possible that is still the case, so switching back and forth is fairly easy with that compatibility.

As far as I know this is still the case. I believe Pinball X is based off of Hyperpin?

And BamBam,

Uvp: Oldest method of having a working backglass. (Can cause stutter.)

B2s: Newer method of having a working backglass. Works well. I have many on my cab.

DirectB2s: Newest method of having a working backglass. Works well. Easier to make backglasses for originals, as well as vpm tables too.

B2s, DirectB2s will work side by side in the same folder. None of these are a problem for 2 or 3 screens.

I had no idea Admin Dazz was part of the Hyperpin team, cool. Respect for Hyperpin it set the standard for a long time probably only needs a game manager to get it back in the ball game again and Pinballx is not perfect either needs much more customizing options , but is getting there with plugin support. I'm hoping Hyperpin comes back with vengeance and smashes pinballx, we all benefit from that.

I kinda like THIS forum,.

I have to throw my vote in for Pinballx currently as well.  Would love to take a look at a new version of Hyperpin.

To expand on what Itchy said.

UVP is quite old, had llmited functionality, and caused stutters more frequently.  I don't use any UVP tables on my cabinet any longer.

B2S is newer has much better functionality,  It is implemented via separate executable files for each table.  (Essentially running a second program) Very little stutter.  I have many of these but am actively trying to update them to db2s where available.

DirectB2S.  A separate program that can read .directb2s files.  Very little stutter.  The most functionality, including the ability to make addon modules.  One of the most important of these if the Direct Output Framework which allows for the running of various toys like RGB LEDs and contactors via a controller board like an LEDWiz.

Archived