Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CarnyPriest

SAMBuild3.1 beta thread

I'm just relaying a commit message from the source repository. Please report any issues with speech synthesis in Gottlieb Sys 80 tables. 

Well, report any issues you encounter, of course. As there were a number of little fixes across the source that might have possibly inadvertently broken something.

23 hours ago, CarnyPriest said:

Fast Flips for pro acd, tf, twd, mt le, wd (wpc-s), and many more Whitestar (see whatsnew.txt)

Sound fixes for Bell Games Super Bowl

fix ddraw crashing VPM when VPX is full screen exclusive

votrax bug fix - toxie is asking for testing to make sure this doesn't break anything

loads of codes fixes that may not be apparent to end users

official rev r4594

SAMBuild_r4594.zip

So wait.... we no longer need to change DDRAW=0 now with exclusive fullscreen enabled?

This just quietly snuck in there after 2 years... and I don't hear rejoicing?  Great stuff!

as for the votrax testing: this is a sound chip that was used in a couple of older games, that did the speech synthesis/samples there.

for example used in the following gottliebs:

• Black Hole
  • Caveman
  • Devils Dare
  • Mars god of war
  • Volcano
  • Q Berts Quest

the improvement is minimalistic and most of the machines still sound rather bad compared to the originals, but i just wanted to make sure that this did not break anything..

So, I've been using full screen windows mode for years.. Can't remember why at this point.  What is the advantage to full screen exclusive?

For most, better performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So wait.... we no longer need to change DDRAW=0 now with exclusive fullscreen enabled?

This just quietly snuck in there after 2 years... and I don't hear rejoicing?  Great stuff!
Yea... lucky1 who uses a pin2dmd shared a crash with me. I thought it was dumb to initialize ddraw if the window is never going to be visible, so I did something about it. One less point of failure is always good lol.

1 hour ago, DJRobX said:

And less latency.

One less bloody error that comes up and people think its Pinup related... THANK YOU!

So does that latency only come into play if using PinMAME DMD...not if using freezy or real DMD

One less bloody error that comes up and people think its Pinup related... THANK YOU!

So does that latency only come into play if using PinMAME DMD...not if using freezy or real DMD
Exclusive fullscreen has less latency than windowed fullscreen because windows triple buffers the desktop. Has nothing to do with the DMD output at all. :)

54 minutes ago, DJRobX said:

Exclusive fullscreen has less latency than windowed fullscreen because windows triple buffers the desktop. Has nothing to do with the DMD output at all. :)

Got it...I thought you were referring to ddarw=0 means the pinmame dmd draws much slower than ddraw=1, etc..

Thank you and volkenborn for all of the work you continue putting into VPM! And thank @DJRobX for all of the work on including fast flips for SAM and all of the other systems this cycle.

SAMBuild is pretty much the same as official now, but if it helps clear some tasks off of your plate then I'm happy to continue running builds.

Hey guys, did anyone lose their color dmd (pindmdv3) capabilities after updating to ~SAMBuild_r4594 ?   The dmd is in color but only reads the settings in Game settings, not the .vni or .pal files.  I believe someone at some point said it may be related to Freezy's code?

On 8/12/2018 at 2:22 PM, uturnweb said:

Hey guys, did anyone lose their color dmd (pindmdv3) capabilities after updating to ~SAMBuild_r4594 ?   The dmd is in color but only reads the settings in Game settings, not the .vni or .pal files.  I believe someone at some point said it may be related to Freezy's code?

If you updated to VPX 10.5, the included verison of Freezy's dmddevice.DLL has colorization features disabled.   Go to think Thalamus gave above and get the full version again.