DJRobX

New VPX feature - Surround sound output

Rob's using mini amps. That was my mistake earlier.  He is however just using the one subwoofer.... using bass routing on the windows side of things and setting your speakers a particular way, you are able to direct all bass to the one sub.  I will let Rob explain further, because I will cock it up. ;)

Rob, perhaps you can modify one of my graphics to display your setup?  Seems that the graphics are the easiest thing for people to get their head around.

Rob's using mini amps. That was my mistake earlier.  He is however just using the one subwoofer.... using bass routing on the windows side of things and setting your speakers a particular way, you are able to direct all bass to the one sub.  I will let Rob explain further, because I will cock it up.

Thank you.

I think that's what I want to do. If possible would rather not get a 2nd sub but not totally against it either.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

My wiring diagram looks like Rusty's but there's only one 2.1 amp, the other two (that go to the playfield) are 2.0.

The key difference in mine is that I have bass routing enabled in Speakers Properties in control panel, and I have my rears defined as small size speakers, and front (where the 2.1 amp is), as large:

BassManagement.thumb.png.b2b0a0fbd4613667d9927b551abc70b7.pngSpeakerSize.thumb.png.80461f798cfb00cc81e821c60374de44.png

My wiring diagram looks like Rusty's but there's only one 2.1 amp, the other two (that go to the playfield) are 2.0.

The key difference in mine is that I have bass routing enabled in Speakers Properties in control panel, and I have my rears defined as small size speakers, and front (where the 2.1 amp is), as large:

BassManagement.thumb.png.b2b0a0fbd4613667d9927b551abc70b7.pngSpeakerSize.thumb.png.80461f798cfb00cc81e821c60374de44.png

Great thank you. I assume although my amps are 2.1 I can do as you did with the bass?

This is Rob's configuration and prob a better option for new adopters, as it minimises the output devices needed.

Those of us coming from PMD Mk1, can still use the other method displayed as this will utilise the additional subs that we already have.  (or we can pull them out and use them in another project like a MAME cabinet ;) lol)

PMD-DIagram-3_DJRobX.jpg

Update:

Last week my tactile speakers arrived and I mounted four of them into my cab's front and backside. With the onboard Realtek soundcard it worked right out of the box, now I am struggling with my VST host solution, but there is light on the horizon!

Here is a first screenshot from the current VST host with all channel routings for 7.1 (including routes for legacy VP versions), but many tests will follow, until it is perfect.

One thing, which tortured me for a long time is, that I could not get any sound from the front speaker channels (-> backglass) using my virtual audio cables, until I understood, that most (if not all) PinMame sounds are Mono and therefore were routed through the Center channel :rolleyes: The onboard soundcard seems to distribute them to the front channels automatically, the audio cable does not. So I had to draw an extra route from the center channel to a Mono/Stereo converter and put them together with the Stereo channels from L/R. (on screenshot see channel #3 leading to a VST plugin named "Stereo Touch" !

BTW: THANKS so much DJRobX and Toxie for this new sound experience! It is a huge difference, when e.g. the coin sound comes from the cab's front and not from the backglass speakers!

VST host routing (Yes, spooky it looks ;)):

Bidule.thumb.JPG.21fbb78f388e2976f0790a46d782962c.JPG

Just wanted to report that even though I have full DOF I added the exciters and as someone has said before this table takes it to an all new level of immersive play! Thank you!

On 9/6/2017 at 6:22 AM, Ginsonic said:

Update:

Last week my tactile speakers arrived and I mounted four of them into my cab's front and backside. With the onboard Realtek soundcard it worked right out of the box, now I am struggling with my VST host solution, but there is light on the horizon!

Here is a first screenshot from the current VST host with all channel routings for 7.1 (including routes for legacy VP versions), but many tests will follow, until it is perfect.

One thing, which tortured me for a long time is, that I could not get any sound from the front speaker channels (-> backglass) using my virtual audio cables, until I understood, that most (if not all) PinMame sounds are Mono and therefore were routed through the Center channel :rolleyes: The onboard soundcard seems to distribute them to the front channels automatically, the audio cable does not. So I had to draw an extra route from the center channel to a Mono/Stereo converter and put them together with the Stereo channels from L/R. (on screenshot see channel #3 leading to a VST plugin named "Stereo Touch" !

BTW: THANKS so much DJRobX and Toxie for this new sound experience! It is a huge difference, when e.g. the coin sound comes from the cab's front and not from the backglass speakers!

VST host routing (Yes, spooky it looks ;)):

Bidule.thumb.JPG.21fbb78f388e2976f0790a46d782962c.JPG

What program are you using to do that VST routing? I've never done that before and would like to look into it...

22 hours ago, xantari said:

What program are you using to do that VST routing? I've never done that before and would like to look into it...

This is "Plogue Bidule", one of the most intuitive VST standalone hosts. I also use "Blue Cat Audio Patchwork" on my Arcade cabinet, similar functions, but not so powerful like this one. Together with Asio4all and my onboard Realtek HD Audio soundcard it works like a charm.

I've tried out this version of VPX. As soon as I try to use a second PCI sound card to play the flipper sound effects, some tables start giving me a "could not create sound buffer for load" when loading them. How can this be avoided? The table plays fine so suppressing the error might be a temporary solution as well.